Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2020, 05:52 AM

Default AAF/OMF Issues

I am pretty new to dealing with this format in regards to Pro Tools.
Basically, I have a film in assembly mode that needs to open in Avid MC asap.
Origin was FCPX (assembly), completely stripped of any oddities then AAF to Premiere. Resolve was added in there but that was a huge stumbling block.
All three NLEs were able to connect to the original data with no issues.
However, its when you add AAF into the mix from Premiere where it fails.
AAF from Premiere to Resolve worked fine with all files connected. But once export to AAF from Resolve to Avid that's when it fails badly.
Same result with Premiere straight to Avid AAF/OMF. I even went as far as creating new data but that was even worse. Totally confused Avid and at times the export would crash.
So I cut out Resolve and tried Premiere AAF to Pro Tools and that's where were at.
Pro Tools sessions show the data but no actual audible audio or waveform shows up in the timeline.
I can see the files in the clips panel and it seems to be connected where parent file is black bold text and it when choosing Reveal in Finder, it takes me to a WAV folder but not the actual file. This is the same result for all the files in that clips list.
And of course when I try to save the session to AAF/OMF, I get the Processing Extracting Range window laughing at me for days. Basically nothing comes of that.
Currently the project is in "calculating waveform overview". Last test I did I gave up on this since it took overnight and nothing seemed to have transpired.

Running Premiere 2019.x, Avid MC 2019.9, Resolve 16.x and Pro Tools 11.3.1. Mac Pro 2013 D700 64GB RAM/A ton of RAIDs totaling 100TB.

Any tips would be helpful.
Thank you.

Last edited by ianim8; 01-04-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:18 PM

Default Re: AAF/OMF Issues

I finally updated Pro Tools most possible recent version 2019.12.0.
All waveform data is now showing and file connection seems to be clean.
Now the same issues with export to AAF/OMF persist.
I would let it sit for hours and nothing renders.
I wish the Link to file option wasn't greyed out.
Now I read it was due to stereo interleave but I am certain there are no tracks/data with that option.
I managed to export using Copy and I can see the data.
But once brought into Avid, the data is empty no audible audio period.
I tried to use the Relink option in Avid and I can't seem to make it work.
Why has AAF been the bane of my existence for the last few weeks?
Its been a total fail in all aspects of my workflow.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:09 PM

I did not know if you wanted video with the Pro Tools export so worked with an audio only AAF from PT's 2019.12 to MC 2019.12 this test.
Here I have both Pro Tools and MC on the same computer. The Pro Tools session edits have no effects on them. I did not have a video track in this Pro Tools session. I had only stereo tracks in this test session to give me the best chance of making it work. Now I know it works in a simple form I could try more complex sessions if this does not work for you.

For the AAF export I selected MC Compatible. File type to MXF media, stereo and chose embedded media with 5000ms (choose any length handles you want or AAF type.

I sent the AAF export to a newly created 100 folder in my F:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\folder. ( If your MC is on a different machine send to a folder with a number only name then copy that folder into your MC computers media drive\Avid MediaFiles\ MXF folder.) This way when you open MC it will idex all the files in that folder in its own database.

Open an MC project and make a new bin. On your media drive open the number named folder you created in the Avid MediaFiles\MXF folder and drag the AAF file into your new bin. The bin will populate with your audio media and the AAF file.
Double click on the AAF file and MC will open a new timeline with timecode matching the Pro Tools session's timecode and all your tracks and audio cuts visible. The media will be on line.

Post how you get on and let me know if you would like me to try with other options for you.

Andrew
Old 01-05-2020, 01:18 PM

You could ask the folks at AATranslator to run a test for you. That app is often handy with gnarled up exports. https://www.aatranslator.com.au/
Old 01-25-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianim8 View Post
What version of MC are you using? There is a known bug for MC AAF exports from MC to Pro Tools. "AAF exports from Media Composer v2018.12.8 and 2019.9 did not import into Pro Tools." The reverse, PT's to MC, export may also have issues.
Quote:
Relinking in MC borders on being a vodoo art form. You could test, on a couple of known clips using MC's Source browser with Import set to Link and using source files in their original Pro Tools media folder location. Select those files in the MC bin and try to Relink the files with missing media to selected files. Be aware that even if this works you may still have Timecode issues and find the wrong parts of the clip has been used.

Andrew
Old 01-26-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
All waveform data is now showing and file connection seems to be clean.
I would let it sit for hours and nothing renders.
I wish the Link to file option wasn't greyed out.
Now I read it was due to stereo interleave but I am certain there are no tracks/data with that option.
I managed to export using Copy and I can see the data.
But once brought into Avid, the data is empty no audible audio period.
Why has AAF been the bane of my existence for the last few weeks?
Its been a total fail in all aspects of my workflow.
AFAIK, it's not possible to create a true "linked to" AAF from PT to MC for a simple reason. AVID MC works frame accurately and PT is sample accurate. So on AAF transfer PT has to add tiny dummy audio clips to compensate for any clips that don't start or end on frame borders.

The linked to workflow works fine from MC to PT but not the other way. You can create a linked to AAF but PT always render new audio that the AAF then links to in MC.

Unless I misunderstood what you are trying to do.

Frank.