Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2002, 09:12 AM

Default Can\'t wait for my Focusrite Penta!!!!!

Thanks to everyone that helped me with their feedback. I anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Penta and feel I'm now on the right track to making my recordings even better. Signal chain, signal chain, signal chain, hey, I love plug-ins like we all do, and have all the waves and BF stuff, but you cant polish a turd (or so they say). If anyone using the Penta has good tips for me, please do tell. Now, if I only had about 50K for better converters, more mics, more preamps, more mics, more, more, more!!!!!!!!!!! I talk like one of those kids from Willie Wonka, but feel like Charlie! hahaha.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Can\'t wait for my Focusrite Penta!!!!!

The first thing I would do (which I did), is get the optional 'digital out' card. It may not be of Apogee quality, but it sounds a lot better than the 001 converters. Spend that extra $200, it's very worth it.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:33 PM

I have an NTK and the gain on my penta is always somewhere between 3/4 and 5/8th all the way up, sounds great.
Oh, and how good is bass guitar through the penta?! Soooo PHAT.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2002, 12:22 AM

I haven't got the digital card yet, but I'm considering it since everybody's talking so much about it. The stereo imager-if used excessively can cause strange sounds/phase relationships-Im not sure what, but I dont use it much. for mics/mono inputs, I would suggest not using it at all. only for stereo inputs. the presets are awesome, carefull of the crunch preset, it's gained quite high and could pop as you pass over it to get to another preset. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
I'm not sure what other people have experienced, but I'm running a penta and a sm58, and usually I have to have the gain around 3/4 or more! I'm sure this has to do with the mic since its a small diaphram, but was wondering what other peoples experiences are. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]