Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2023, 10:33 AM

Default 003 Rack + Mackie Control Universal + M-Audio UNO

I am trying to get an original Mackie Control Universal (non-pro USB) connected to a Digidesign/Avid 003 Rack interface on Mac OS X 10.6.8. I’m running Pro Tools LE 8.0.5. I’m on a Mac Pro 1,1 connected via firewire 400.

I had this setup working perfectly using standard MIDI cables connected between the 003 and MCU.

Then I moved things around and got a M-Audio Midisport UNO MIDI to USB adapter and I’ve been having issues with this configuration. The UNO is connected directly to the Mac, no hub. Power light is on. I have installed USB_MIDI_Series_OSX_3_4_0 for the UNO.

The MCU is set to HUI mode and passes the power on self test. It had previously been working.

The UNO is connected correctly with the in/out connectors on the MCU. This was verified with another device that seems to work just fine (Line 6 POD 2.0).

In AMS I have tried almost all permutations of connectivity and nothing seems to work correctly. Previously all I had to do was make a new device (HUI) and connect it to the 003 MIDI I/O and everything was great. Currently, I have a HUI connected to the UNO since that is how it is physically connected. Using AMS to test the set up I see MIDI data transmitted from the UNO to the HUI. Pro Tools sees this set up just fine and in the MIDI input devices menu I have selected the MCU (HUI), the box is checked.

In the Peripheral Controllers menu in PT I have selected HUI for the device, the input from and send to.

What happens is that the MCU/HUI is recognized and the faders move into position and the display screen shows the current tracks correctly but when I move a fader it immediately goes back to where it was. The transport buttons don’t activate the transport and the MCU seems to be in a quasi-frozen state. If i use the mouse to playback a session I can see the time running on the MCU and the display shows the meter activity. It is connected for sure. In fact, the pan knob seems to work ok.

All track automation is turned off so it isn't an automation thing.

The other thing I notice is on the UNO. As soon as PT is opened the MIDI activity lights are blinking periodically like there is activity but there isn’t. It is a steady pulse that never goes out. I can see activity when I press a button on the MCU so I know the MCU and UNO are communicating but not with Pro Tools. When I plugged in the Line 6 POD those lights only activated when there was input from me or from the Line 6 application. Otherwise they’re not lit. This tells me that something is wrong, most likely in Pro Tools. The MIDI activity lights on the face of the 003 are also not lit.

MIDI thru Is checked in the Options Menu. I’ve also tried it unchecked but no difference.

I need to know how to set MIDI filtering for this MCU/UNO. Currently allowing “All” data to be recorded. I’ve also tried the default setting.

I need to know which MIDI channels I should be set for transmit and receive on the MCU in AMS. Currently using channel 1 for both Tx and Rx. I’ve also tried Tx on Ch 1 and Rx on all 16 channels with the same result.

I need to know how to configure AMS and then based on that, what to select in the controller menu.

The other oddity is that I tried to connect with standard MIDI cables directly to the 003 MIDI I/O as before but it is behaving just like on the UNO with no transport response and blinking LEDs.

Something is not right with Pro Tools.

FYI, yes I have tried this and it didn't help:
If you are experiencing problems with MIDI in Pro Tools (or any other application) where you cannot get input or output, OR your MIDI interface is greyed out in Audio MIDI Setup, try this:

"Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.

Empty the trash and restart, then see if everything is working."

Please make me stop hating Pro Tools (I always have anyway). I NEVER had any issue with my MOTU interface, this same MCU and Cubase 6.5.5. Never. Just solid connectivity and productivity.

I’m here right now with the gear connected and turned on eagerly waiting helpful responses.

Thank You in advance for your thoughtful advice.

Kevin

Last edited by SonicBoom; 09-14-2023 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 09-14-2023, 11:11 AM

Default Re: 003 Rack + Mackie Control Universal + M-Audio UNO

A fader moving then returning to where it was sounds like you are in automation touch mode.

This is not a MIDI/HUI related problem... you either get the MIDI/HUI to/from Pro Tools or you don't. That part seems like it is working (when you use just the Uno). Forget the 003 MIDI. And if you are using MIDI on the Uno, you won't get MIDI activity lights on the 003.

When your Pro Tools sees those comments about it, it's going to be really pissed at you.....
Old 09-14-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
A fader moving then returning to where it was sounds like you are in automation touch mode.

This is not a MIDI/HUI related problem... you either get the MIDI/HUI to/from Pro Tools or you don't. That part is working.

When your Pro Tools sees those comments about it, it's going to be really pissed at you.....
I don't care what Pro Tools thinks of me, lol. It threw the first stone.

I thought about automation as well, sorry I forgot to mention that. So I turned each track's automation OFF in the Mix window and...same issue. Faders jump back to their original position and the transport continues to not function.

So to clarify, even if it was the automation setting that shouldn't affect the transport functionality or any of the buttons that don't work on the MCU/HUI.

There is a communication breakdown within Pro Tools. Again, the transport buttons or any other button on the HUI are unresponsive. The faders only move when moved on screen via mouse. This tells me MIDI is coming out of PT into the UNO and out of the UNO to the HUI. It seems the other direction is working in as much as PT sees the HUI but that' is about it. Automation has nothing to do with any of that as far as I understand.

Last edited by SonicBoom; 09-14-2023 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:33 AM

Ah damn, though latch was a quick win.

My memory escapes me here, but is there any chance the surface is in MCU mode? The bits of MCU based on HUI might make some thing kinda work, but I can't remember the actual behavior. Try resetting the surface and make sure it's in HUI mode.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Ah damn, though latch was a quick win.

My memory escapes me here, but is there any chance the surface is in MCU mode? The bits of MCU based on HUI might make some thing kinda work, but I can't remember the actual behavior. Try resetting the surface and make sure it's in HUI mode.
As stated in the original text, I'm in HUI mode and it had worked previously using MIDI cables. That is no longer the case unfortunately. I've power cycled the unit severl time while troubleshooting this and it clearly says it is startin HUI emulation mode upon start up.

Yes, I will reset the MCU to MCU mode and test in Cubase then set it back to HUI mode and see if for some reason that makes any difference. It shouldn't, but that is the only way I can test the MCU. I have no reason to suspect it is the culprit. The issue is most definitely either the UNO or (most likely) Pro Tools.

Have I mention how much I hate Pro Tools?
Old 09-14-2023, 12:24 PM

Yes I saw that but I wanted you to try resetting it just in case.

The UNO here is as dumb as MIDI interfaces get, no filtering etc. so unlikely to be the problem. I would not worry about the indicator light behavior. When flashing you are likely seeing the background HUI ping/reply.

Sounds like you know all this well enough to set up properly. The only times I've set up one an MCU I've followed this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI2tB6MVJ_o might be worth double checking just in case.

Otherwise I hope somebody with better ideas shows up.

If you are keen you can pull out a MIDI sniffer and look at the HUI traffic and compare to what's expected. Google for "ageman" who reverse engineered HUI.
Old 09-14-2023, 02:05 PM

UPDATE:

I connected the MCU to the 003 via standard MIDI cables. I trashed the preferences mentioned in the original post. I repaired disk permissions. I reset to MCU to MCU mode then back to HUI mode. Power cycled. Rescanned and set up the AMS with the HUI again for the 1000th time.

I launched PT and selected 003 MIDI port 1 and it worked. Note that 'send to' and 'receive from' are set to 003 MIDI port 1 not HUI as before or expected.

It seems all HUI functionality is working as it should while using MIDI cables.

What continues to NOT work is the M-Audio UNO or a HOSA USB to MIDI device USM-422 Version 2.0. Pro Tools doesn't seem to like these or I'm not able to configure it correctly. I really want this to work, but if I absolutely have to I will simply buy longer MIDI cables and be happy while still hating Pro Tools with a passion.

I found a YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tRQkfvnMDU) after searching for issues with the M-Audio UNO (there are many). The video states the UNO is drawing too much power from the USB port and thus it doesn't function properly. The recommendation is to use a powered USB hub. I actually have the exact same hub as the guy in the video. Tried that, same issues as before however I will say that after plugging and unplugging both the UNO and the HOSA several times trying this my Mac keyboard and mouse when totally dead and required a forced shutdown. So maybe there is some validity to the USB power draw.

I'm content with the flashing LEDs as it seems the HOSA also pulses with MIDI activity. So maybe that isn't an indication of a problem. However nothing I've tried seems to get this MCU to work in Pro Tools over USB. I know it isn't the MCU. It seems to be irrelevant of the USB adapter being used.

Is there anyone with any helpful insight to this seemingly simple connection issue?
Old 09-14-2023, 02:07 PM

Why is my last post needing to be moderated? Is it the link? Have I mentioned how much I hate Pro Tools? Because I do.
Old 09-14-2023, 02:18 PM

I've spent all day today on this and part of yesterday. I reluctantly signed up here as a last desperate attempt to get this to work. I'm SO frustrated right now.
Old 09-14-2023, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
Why is my last post needing to be moderated? Is it the link? Have I mentioned how much I hate Pro Tools? Because I do.
Yes, where you have a low post count, posts with links are blocked and have to be approved by a mod. This is to prevent spam..

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM