Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2013, 07:17 PM

Default Help with Clock Distrubution(192 I/Os with seperate ADC and DAC

Hi All,

New to this forum, hoping someone can provide an easy answer. Anyways I have a client coming in for a mix session, the client is bringing a Burl B2 Bomber ADC we will print the mixes thru this and use the Burl to clock the system. We will be ultilizing 3 192 I/O's to output to the consoles, so far all this is easy to me. However the client wants to monitor the mix prints out of a Mytec Stereo 96 DAC, my question is how would I incorporate the Mytec into the clock loop???

This type of setup is not completely foreign to me, I usually run a setup like this, however, the Mytec is new to me, and only has SPDIF/Toslink/AES_EBU digital ins and no word clock in. We will use word clock off the Burl to clock the 192's but how do I get clock into the Mytec, do I really even need to??? Or can the Mytec just independently clock itself?? I will be using AES/EBU to get signal into the Mytec from the 1st 192 Enclosure, will clock automatically be transfered via AES/EBU??

Right now my setup is 1 Apogee PSX100 and 3 192 I/O's, I use the Apogee as my clock and print mixes thru and monitor out the apogee. So this session will be similiar, the Burl and Mytek will take the place of the Apogee, but the Apogee is AD/DA so I've never had to worry about clocking the DAC.

Any thoughts, solutions or ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Help with Clock Distrubution(192 I/Os with seperate ADC and DAC

Connect the AD box wordclock output to ext.clock.input of the first 192 interface, then in the hardware setup choose the external clock. Keep the 192 interface loop sync cables as they are, no need to touch those at all.

Then connect AES cable to the DA box, it also carries clocking signal with it. The box must be able to slave itself to the clock that is embedded to AES. Should also work with SPDIF and ADAT, but I'd always choose AES if I can.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:18 PM

Thanks for the info, it is greatly appreciated, I kind of thought that would be the most likely solution, although after reading another thread regarding a very similiar topic involving the same Mytec DAC. Posts mentioned that this particular unit was sort of designed to self clock independently, to provide further data correction, upsampling and jitter correction at the monitoring stage. Do you think this is correct/possible/likely?? I always kind of assumed that everything had to be on the same clock?? But it also kind of makes a bit sense as well, since this output of the Mytec is strictly for monitoring.

I guess it's an easy tests, I'll be bringing AES/EBU into the Mytec from the 192 enclosure regardless for digital signal transfer, and I can test whether the DAC works best on it's internal or external.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 AM

Everything really *MUST* be synced on same clock, so if the DA box just cannot connect to external clock, then you really have to use it as a clock master and slave everything else to that clock.

You'll figure it out soon enough. Once you learn that everything must share same clock it's a no-brainer to set up the boxes.

If you have pops and clicks it is a sign of clock mismatch