Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Default TRS outs vs. ADAT

Currently my DigiMax 96k refuses to work at 96k with my Liquid Saffire Pro. I have tried everything...and I'm over trying to make them happy together through ADAT. They work fine together at 44.1k, but I bought the saffire so I could start running sessions at 96k.

So would it make sense to just run my TRS outs from the Digimax into the line ins of the Saffire Pro? Would that be stupid?

Is there any opinions out there about any quality loss of running quality TRS patch cables instead of ADAT?

Or should I just stay at good ol' 44.1 and keep running ADAT?
Old 06-22-2013, 03:05 PM

Default Re: TRS outs vs. ADAT

Research S/MUX...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-22-2013, 03:10 PM

I have researched and understand S/MUX. When at 96k I'm just not getting anything from any channel on the Digimax to the Saffire. It's bizarre.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:29 PM

Unfortunately, the Digimax Adat is just that - Adat. It does not have SMUX capability, and will only output up to 48k.

Looking at the manual, the only way to get 96k is through their proprietary AES/EBU cable adaptor that hooks up to the multi-pin jack to the right of the Adat port.

The cable is called the DMAX007. I could not find any information on it. You may want to call Presonus and ask them.

Regardless of how it works, in order to use it that way, your interface needs to have an AES/EBU input, and generally only the more expensive interfaces have that, and that jack is not on the Saffire 56.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:31 AM

Besides what has already been pointed out, going out the TRS will add a second set of converters to the signal path(A to D going into the DigiMax. D to A coming out, A to D going into the Saffire......) so I would not do that. Your clients may have different needs, but 48K has been fine here for years. The project that came in for mix at 96K, was so poorly recorded, that I down-sampled to 48(I could run 96K but it was ragging my system down as the sessions were fairly large). Whatever Quality "Loss", the sonic improvement more than made up for(by "sonic improvement", I mean that I was able to save the project and deliver a good final product). My studio neighbor still works at 16 bit/44.1K SD II format(and he still gets good results). I applaud you for trying to "up" your quality, but no song I know of became a hit because of the sample rate

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Focusrite

Hello uphillstudios,

What is it that your two devices are doing exactly that does not work?

Are they clicking and popping? Not locking together? something else?

How are you setting the clocks?

Please let me know more detail about how you are setting up the two units. You should be able to use the Digimax 96k for 8 more inputs over ADAT up to 48k and 4 more up to 96k with your Liquid Saffire 56.

Quote:
So would it make sense to just run my TRS outs from the Digimax into the line ins of the Saffire Pro? Would that be stupid?
The Line Inputs on the Liquid Saffire would have to be used instead of the Mic Pres so this would not offer any advantage as you would still have only 8 analog inputs. Additionally with the Liquid Saffire 56 running up to 192k if you only need 8 input you can work at your highest Sample Rate with these 8 inputs.

You are also welcome to contact us at our Contact Support Page. We are happy to help.

Best regards.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/
Old 06-27-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Regardless of how it works, in order to use it that way, your interface needs to have an AES/EBU input, and generally only the more expensive interfaces have that, and that jack is not on the Saffire 56.
actualy you can use the optical in and out (2 in 2 ou) to transfer and receive these channel at these rate

2 x ADAT In / Out 16 channels (44.1 / 48kHz), 8 channels In / out S-MUX (88.2 / 96kHz), 4 channels in / out S-MUXII (176.4 / 192kHz).

reference

Wave-T.com
Old 06-27-2013, 05:16 PM

It looked like the manual said otherwise, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
It looked like the manual said otherwise, but I could be wrong.
I gave the link from the website specification. So either the manual or the website is wrong, not you

Wave-T.com
Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
actualy you can use the optical in and out (2 in 2 ou) to transfer and receive these channel at these rate

reference
The Saffire right not the digi max?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.