Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 AM

Question Pro tools HD9 Run with Apogee ensemble

Hi just want to be shure before I go buy anything.

I know in this site, it states;
http://www.avid.com/US/products/fami...-Tools/compare

tha PRO TOOLS HD9 (NATIVE VIA FIREWIRE NO CORECARD'S) will run with a third party interface or Any Core Audio- or ASIO-compatible interface

and i know that in this site, it states:
http://www.apogeedigital.com/product...patibility.php

*Ensemble will work with any Core Audio compatible Mac software.
**A special FireWire 400 to 800 conversion cable is required.

I wrotte to the now avid webpage and they'r answer was:
We manage the Avid Webstore and unfortunately we do not have any
technical knowledge on the products. This is the reason why we recommend
you to check the Avid forums, which contain all the specific information
about Pro Tools 9: www.avid.com/protools9forum

but still I wanted to ask if anybody has this set-up up y running or has any idea regarding this any Info is welcome
thank's
Old 11-10-2010, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Pro tools HD9 Run with Apogee ensemble

Several people have reported using Ensemble and Duet successfully with PT9. Keep in mind you will be buying the standard PT9, not PT9 HD. That is only for if you own an HD system.

If you already own a Protools LE interface, you can crossgrade for $249. Otherwise, the full version of the PT9 is $599.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:11 AM

Hi man thanks for the quick answer
that's where im kinda confused
the webpage says that pro tools HD9 will run even without a interface , and also talks about to types of PTHD9 one native and the HD, so im guessing the native is the new version that runs on any core audio, etc , and the HD (not native) would be for HD system users so that they can run the new PTHD9 with they'r pci(e) corecard's
so from what I understand why can't I run pro tools HD9 on the ensemble or any core audio?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 AM

It is confusing.

The PT9 HD software is specifically for those with HD systems. In fact, to even get it, you need to provide the serial number from your HD core card.

The recently introduced HD Native system would also fall into this category. This also uses a PCIe card, allowing you to use the HD interfaces but your computers processing power. This was introduced about a month ago.

This HD software, in addition to being compatible with the HD cards and systems, can also be used without the cards, and with a 3rd party interface. It gives all the functionality of "regular" PT9 and the Complete Production Toolkit.

The "regular" PT9, that sells for $599, (or the $249 crossgrade), will work with any 3rd party interface, or Avid/Digi interface. If you then add the Complete Toolkit, you would have the same functionality as an HD system, minus the HD hardware features like TDM processing, etc.

Unless you currently own an HD system, you want the "regular" PT9. That should work fine with an Apogee Ensemble.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:00 AM

Thank you very much!!!
I understand now, really appreciate it!!
Old 12-29-2010, 02:53 AM

Lightbulb Re: Pro tools HD9 Run with Apogee ensemble

In actuality you can run protools hd native from you CPU with mainly all the same features as the protools tdm and it doesnt sound like le or the "regular" there is higher headroom. 192 mono tracks delay compensation and much more im using mine with a 002 console and i have a copy on my laptop i plugin the ilok and im mobile w.o ante interfaces there is some drivers you muerte install to make it happen all on Avids site
Old 12-29-2010, 06:05 AM

HD 9 runs perfectly with Ensemble. The main difference is the input monitoring since the Ensemble will not operate smoothly below 128 and even that introduces pops and clicks from time to time. (mac pro nehalem quad 2.66 with 3 gigs ram and 7200 audio drives sata internal)

I personally switched to the rosetta 800 with symphony 32. Now it runs at 64 hw buffer and input monitoring is a non issue. Makes me not miss my HD 2.

But the ensemble is great ll in one box that will work perfectly well with any of the PT 9 iterations...
Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllMusic View Post
In actuality you can run protools hd native from you CPU with mainly all the same features as the protools tdm and it doesnt sound like le or the "regular" there is higher headroom. 192 mono tracks delay compensation and much more im using mine (HD Native?) with a 002 console and i have a copy on my laptop i plugin the ilok and im mobile w.o ante interfaces there is some drivers you muerte install to make it happen all on Avids site
I feel like I am missing something here.

So you are using HD Native using 002 console as the interface?

You are using HD Native on a laptop?

First of all I thought HD Native was in essence a PCI card. I thought this required Pro Tools HD software to be installed?

Secondly I thought HD Native required an HD interface....such as an Omni or better, and on top of that a preamp even?

So how are you using a 002 as your interface and how are you using a laptop? Could you explain so we can all be enlightened ........I for one never thought this was possible.

Just askin', really.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 12-29-2010, 06:13 PM

HD Native software is the standard HD software. The HD software will also run without an interface, such as on a laptop, or with a 3rd party interface. (The PT LE interfaces basically count as 3rd party interfaces for these purposes).

Running the HD software this way is the equivalent of PT 9 "standard" with Complete Production Toolkit (has the same functionality).

There was some misunderstanding at the beginning of this thread.

As you probably know, in order to get HD 9 software, you must own some kind of HD system, as it uses the serial number from the card in order to buy and register the software.

Obviously, if you have the benefits of any HD system, the only reason you'd want to run it on another interface (or none) is for portability reasons/location recording, etc.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:49 AM

i think my head exploded twice reading this.