Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2010, 05:49 PM

Default Click / Grid doesn't line up anymore

Hi all hopefully someone here can help. I've been operating Pro Tools for around 10 years, and haven't run into this one yet...

I work with a client who will do a bunch of recording at his house on his Pro Tools system. He then brings the sessions to me, and we'll record the vocals, and redo some guitars. Then I mix the tracks. In the last session he brought me, the click and grid do not line up with the tracks on my system. The click is not steady when soloed by itself either. I've gone into the tempo area, and reset the bpm to what it should be, but it doesn't change anything.

Is there any other way to reset tempo of the song? It doesn't make sense to me. The only thing that I can think of is that he has PT 8.x, and I'm using 7.4; but, I've done this before with him when he has had PT 8, and did not have the problem.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Click / Grid doesn't line up anymore

Make sure your on a grid mode ,not slip mode .And that your at the same sample rate.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:50 PM

So does the click speed up and slow down? That is totally odd. I have read something somewhere about this years ago but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was......although something in the fog of my memory tells me it was related to a specific version of PT....I could be wrong.

Did you go check the session settings and is it a matter of trashing prefs...maybe something in how he set his last session is different to how you normally do it?

Once I was tweaked because I was importing drums and they were not lining up on the grid. I had the tempo right etc and was trying this and that...but the end of the loop would always be in front of or just past the grid line. I finally came to the conclusion it was really lousy loops they had made......but I checked others and they did the same. I finally went DUH!!!! when I realized that the session was set to Minutes/Sec's and not Bars/Beats.

I felt a bit stupid at that one. Such a simple thing....but I usually never change my session setup and I think I had previously imported a session that was different and it changed it up on me. The next time I started a session I went to import some Drumcore loops, told it to send to a new track and when I went to repeat....WTF....it is not lining up...
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 09-12-2010, 10:15 PM

Also, check that you have bars and beats showing in the counter.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-15-2010, 06:40 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses. Here's an update...

I figured out the grid issue, it was a simple one. I mistakenly dragged the start of the grid forward from zero in the ruler line on the edit page. I was hopeful that this would solve the errant click, but it did not. The click that PT is generating for the song definitely is not steady. It is easily heard even when soloed. I'm using an 002 (have used the same unit for years), am clocking via light pipe with a Big Ben, and the sample rate is correct for the session. I've had this happen before maybe once or twice. I spent some time looking around the tempo based options, but could find nothing out of the ordinary.

I'll try the trashing preferences route and see if that fixes it. The click is no longer necessary for the session, but I'd love to know how to fix it if it comes up again. Nothing worse than asking a client to bring a bounced click from his session so that we can track acoustic guitars the next day...