Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2009, 11:11 AM

Default delay comp vs ATA

how many of you guys prefer to use the delay comp plugin over mellowmuse ATA? i was just informed via email that UA is totally dropping the delay comp plugin in version 5.3. for me, this is a disaster. ATA simply isnt consistent enough for me. i am just wondering if there are more out there that prefer the delay comp. seems like it would not be THAT much of a hassle to just keep it around.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 AM

Default Re: delay comp vs ATA

For me, the Delay comp plugin is "Un calculable" on large sessions, with lots of Auxs, Paralell compression, Plugins ect...

The MM ATA - (Set up properly), is a "1 click solution" - although it's complete "Workflow understanding" is a bit of a learning curve - once you get it down, it's quick, flawless, and completely accurate.

I couldn't do, in a 1/2 an hour of calculation, and working with the Delay compensation Plugin, what I can do, in 2 minutes with setting up the MM ATA plugin.

And, future "Changes" to the session - in a "1 second Click / Calibrate" - rather then a 20 minute - "Re calculate and configure" of the "Delay comp" plugin.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 03-17-2009, 12:47 PM

see, that is the thing, my workflow isnt complicated. i DO understand the ATA work flow. my sessions simply consist of audio tracks, and one layer of aux tracks for subgroups and fx returns, just like a basic console. ALL audio tracks outputs are set to a subgroup blah blah blah. you get the idea. i know how to disable the UAD cards, set all faders to unity, still, this plugin has yet to give me consistent pinging results. i guess 5.2 is the end of the road for me.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 PM

Those "Constant results" are usually effected by a "Small thing" like a volume on a track set to -inf at the point in the timeline you preform the Ping.

it's also important to LEAVE the UAD plugs ACTIVE for the pin to work, and only disable Delays on Aux's

when I'm working with MM ATA - I usually set a marker 10 seconds after the fade / end of Song labeled ATA where all volume automation is set to 0db

I select that Marker, in the Markers window, deactivate Delays and Reverbs on Aux's - and Ping

and I seem to get accurate / constant results every time.

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 03-17-2009, 01:06 PM

hmm, thats interesting. doesnt UA tell use to disable the cards entirely? watch the video on their site, about halfway through it says this.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:22 PM

Hmm - wow - it Needs the latency created by the active plugin, to properly calculate the delay - pinging "Through" the plugin is really the whole purpose of the MM ATA - I'll check out the video though... and in the meantime, experiment with "Ignoring that piece of advice" and "Pinging "Through the active UA Plugins"

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 03-17-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghouse View Post
how many of you guys prefer to use the delay comp plugin over mellowmuse ATA? i was just informed via email that UA is totally dropping the delay comp plugin in version 5.3. for me, this is a disaster. ATA simply isnt consistent enough for me. i am just wondering if there are more out there that prefer the delay comp. seems like it would not be THAT much of a hassle to just keep it around.
Guess what this means folks.

This sure ain't a disaster for me!

Digi is finally adding Delay Compensation to PTLE!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:49 PM

You must disable the UAD hardware in the UAD Meter before pinging to get absolutely accurate results. UAD plugins that upsample will not ping accurately when the transport is stopped. To remedy this, UA wrote into v5.2 the disable function where all UAD plugins maintain their true delay when the hardware is bypassed.

There's still Digi's Timeadjuster.

therecordinghouse: link one of your ptf files here that you can't get ATA to work correctly and I'll take a look to see why it may not be working.

BTW: Gary posted download links for ATA v1.2e. You can find them on the Mellowmuse forum.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 AM

neh, tried this plugin again last night. still no go. could it be that it really is not working for some people? i am sure i am doing the routing correctly.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:58 AM

tried the latest version, 1.2e this morning. crash after crash for me. PT8 was 100% stable for me before. this is exactly what i mean, i am tired of dealing with this plugin.