Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Drumkit From Hell, how to install?

Maybe someone can help me, So I'm in the guitar shop, I pick up the DFH2 box, I look on the back - underneath "supported interfaces" I see RTAS..... I think to my self, sweet, I'll take it. I get home open up the box, and out comes the worlds worst manual. Whatever, I'll just install it and figure it out. So I look under RTAS and it says "at time of manual printing RTAS not supported at this time, check the read me files on the DVD for installation" OK but nothing is there. Hmmmmm, I'll just go to the website, and LOOKOUT! The website sucks too. In one paragraph it mentions protools and the next it tells me RTAS aren't supported. As you can see i'm thrilled about the purchase. Can anyone out there help me. Do I need a wrapper (I think that's what it's called.) I already have BFD and the stinking drum kit is too small!! It leaves half the notes out from the drum sequencer I use (roland Pma5). Thanks!!!!
Old 07-04-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Drumkit From Hell, how to install?

Hi jasz7

Had a bit of a run in with the kits myself in May. Do a search for " install from hell " and it might give you an insight. Hope it works out.

Cheers
Sparks
Old 07-04-2005, 10:29 AM

My advice is to get your money back before you register the product. When I bought it, it said it did work with RTAS and Windows XP.

Take a look at the bottom of this page on DFH2 here:
http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/...tml?sku=PSP-06

and you will see the words:

(**RTAS is not supported for MAC OS9 or Windows) - This message is new, for 6 months it said they were "working on the problem".

I searched everywhere for answers and never found anyone who got it working with PTLE / XP. It is a memory hog of the worst proportions. Some suggested streaming hard drives and adding up to 2 GB of RAM, but nowhere did I see anyone say they actually got it working.

The wrapper might work, but I have a hard time even running it standalone with 1 GB of RAM. I say forget it.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:55 AM

<<I already have BFD and the stinking drum kit is too small!! It leaves half the notes out from the drum sequencer I use (roland Pma5). >>

FWIW - I use an outboard midi drum machine and trigger it with the Protools clock. I like this solution a lot because the drum module then uses NO computer memory, and it is easy to program. If your Roland has the sounds inside (not sure what a Pma5 is) then you might think about this option.

Also in most cases BFD is considered a better option that DFH of any kind. I have gotten DFH2 started, but only with the smallest sets possible. The large sets eat up all 1GB of ram before they even load all the way.

Possibly another kind of external drum module is for you, something with many outputs. My Alesis has 4 which is not bad. If I want to, I can record 4 separate tracks to audio, do aother pass and record 4 different tracks. But for the most part I just go; kick, snare, Left-drums-Right. EQ & the internal mixer make it easy to separate the cymbals from the toms.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:08 AM
FXpansion Audio

Quote:

I already have BFD and the stinking drum kit is too small!! It leaves half the notes out from the drum sequencer I use (roland Pma5).

The 1.5 update to BFD (free to registered users) will double the number of available kit pieces.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:24 AM

I bought Drumkit From Hell and never could get it to work out correctly. Now it just sit there and collect dust. Drums on Demand is what i use now.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:56 PM

Thanks to everyone for responding. You all just confirmed my fears. I'm going to take the program back - somehow I see an argument brewing at guitar center. Thanks again and I'll look into the BFD update.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:43 PM

I have DFH Superior, that install was pretty bad too. But I finally got it working, and several albums later...I am a huge fan. If you can afford it, DFH Superior is the bomb-diggity. (Ant works with protools/REWIRE!!!)

DFH uses the Kompakt player though, where as DFH Superior uses its own interface. I actually had simillar trouble with the "East West Quantum leap Orchestra Silver Edition" (also based on Kompakt) Which promised RTAS support and many months later they finnally delivered, and even then it was still faulty! Then I discovered that someone contacted one of the main developers and got the fix that I needed. Anywho... I think this is a good warning for anyone considering buying a sample set based on the Kompakt player. Make sure they have full RTAS support before you purchase!!!

Just thought I'd share my experience too...
Old 07-06-2005, 02:47 AM
FXpansion Audio

jasz -- if they won't let you take it back but will let you exchange it, see if you can pick up BFD-XFL or DFHS, either of which can be used as expansion content for BFD.