Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2002, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Acid vs Reason

Try these links...
Strange, You Know?

Full Frontal
Old 10-16-2002, 05:34 AM

Thanks LEV. Sorry for the bad links, guys. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Yosemite OS
Old 10-16-2002, 05:37 AM

Killer sound soundsurfr!! Really liked full frontal.

I'm an Acid fan with a Korg Triton - but after listening to this maybe there's a 'reason' to make the move to a soft synth?
Old 10-16-2002, 06:25 AM

The links were not the problem. There is something about Int. Exp. that I need to change. If I loaded the web add into realplayer they worked fine. I like them both. I never would have guessed that it was a drummer in a box. Good sounds.

Quote:
Originally posted by soundsurfr:
[QB]This was done completely in Reason, then tweaked in Pro-Tools:

Strange, You Know?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So you did it all in reason? Did you record sounds into reason or just used reason to make the sounds and then exported to PT?
Quote:
So was this, only I used acid for the percussion track:

Full Frontal

Both were done under contract with CBS and are being used on a prime time television special.
QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What TV special might that be?

Old 10-16-2002, 07:01 AM

Quote:
So you did it all in reason? Did you record sounds into reason or just used reason to make the sounds and then exported to PT?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">For *Strange Y'Know?*,I composed the entire song in Reason. I used the Reason *Dr. Rex* loop player to arrange the drum loops. I used various different Reason synths for the synth sounds, bass and pads and sequenced them all in Reason. I added drum fills and some of the underlying drum bed using Reason's *ReDrum* drum machine.

I then exported each different instrument as a 24 bit audio file and imported them all into Pro Tools as stereo files. I used PT to drop in more ear candy like the girl's voice and the cymbal swells. I mixed and mastered in Pro-Tools, dithered down to 16 bits and burned a wave file to CD.

The songs will appear in *The Gentlemen's Quarterly Awards* - a fashion awards show airing December 6th on CBS.
Yosemite OS
Old 10-16-2002, 07:05 AM

Cool.

But I think you have convinced me to go spend money.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

What sound card are you using?
What sound card might you recomend?

Old 10-16-2002, 07:50 AM

Soundsurfr, I just listened to "Full Frontal" and really liked it.

I have just installed, three or four weeks ago now, Reason and Sonar2 XL on my Digi001 box. I also put an Aardvark 24/96 in this PC mostly because I didn't have much luck recording audio in Sonar thru the 001 interface. I run WinME and had difficulties right up until I found the Win "Map Thru" parameter for the interfaces and once I deselected this for both the 001 and the 24/96 I found that these cards could co-exist just fine in the same PC.

So I am now really wanting to get to work with these new tools. I've had the Digi001 for about three years now and while I don't consider myself a master in ProTools I can record audio and make midi music with it as well. But I am not moving ahead as fast as I'd like in the Sonar/Reason area. OF course, part of the reason for that is the day job but I was hoping you might have some tips or maybe you could point me in a direction as to the location of a good forum or on-line tutorials for these software applications.

I know Craig Anderton has a new book out for Sonar 2 and I may try to find a copy of that. Any other suggestions?

Keep up the good work!
Old 10-16-2002, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]:
Cool.

But I think you have convinced me to go spend money.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

What sound card are you using?
What sound card might you recomend?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I am using an EMU - APS sound card. It's pretty good, but I don't recommend it because I think they discontinued it, and probably support along with it.

Run a search on sound cards in the forum, and I think you'll find a few threads where some pretty solid recommendations are given.
Yosemite OS
Old 10-16-2002, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soundsurfr:
This was done completely in Reason, then tweaked in Pro-Tools:

Strange, You Know?

So was this, only I used acid for the percussion track:

Full Frontal

Both were done under contract with CBS and are being used on a prime time television special.

On my website, you can hear some songs that I wrote for myself in the download section. Nearly all use Acid loops for drums.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is a little late, but Full Frontal is a great track! Very well produced and good to listen to. I'm surprised that corporate television didn't object to the high quality!

Best,
Rhett
Old 10-16-2002, 07:48 PM

Just now trying the Reason Strings Refill.... Really great stuff!