Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2002, 03:20 PM

Default How do i reinstall a demo after the time runs out?

I just ran out of time on my mcdsp analog channel demo and i didn't get to finish the mix in time. I remember reading in their documentation when i downloaded it that they say it's ok to download it again and try it again if you'd like. Well, how do i get the old version off of my system? Ever time i try to reinstall it just tells me my demo has run out. Anyone?

Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2002, 04:45 PM

Default Re: How do i reinstall a demo after the time runs out?

Colin visits here from time to time ...ask him!
Old 11-23-2002, 05:16 PM

The problem is that the demo version creates a hidden file on your startup drive to timeout the demo and stop you from reinstalling it.

You could try starting up from a different drive and reinstalling, but this may not work.......... The system folders need to be identical otherwise PT might not load (or OMS or DAE,plugins etc. etc.)
Otherwise you have to reinitialise your system drive, reinstall the OS and ALL your software - just to get rid of the authorisation file.

Pain in the arse - right?
Old 11-23-2002, 06:28 PM

If you like it-buy it, or do without

MCdsp has gotta eat too.

LOL
Old 11-23-2002, 07:50 PM

C'mon, what are you guys, the software police. All you have to do is search in sherlock for invisible files that the particular program left behind. This is done by doing a custom search.

L-Fire
EMO
Old 11-23-2002, 08:45 PM

And what are you? the software pirate counseller? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2002, 09:10 PM

It's a demo, it's supposed to have a limited access. Like it buy it. Don't then do without. Hacking to get the software for free is stealing, and costs us honest users as well.

Do the right thing.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I remember reading in their documentation when i downloaded it that they say it's ok to download it again and try it again if you'd like.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">obviously not [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 11-24-2002, 06:28 AM

When I was a kid, I learned that you need to protect your own property. My bike was stolen and the police officer said there was nothing they could do. He said use a lock next time.

Retailers invest in security systems - or at least lock their doors at night. Digidesign requires hardware components to make its software functional.

If all that is required in pirating this software is deleting some easy to find files, then the company hasn't taken the proper precautions.

For the record, I don't pirate software. I play by the rules. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I just wouldn't hold it against you.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fire2k2:
C'mon, what are you guys, the software police. All you have to do is search in sherlock for invisible files that the particular program left behind. This is done by doing a custom search.

L-Fire
EMO
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wrong... these files are stored in a reserved portion of your hard drive. This area is not accessable to a consumer user. There is no way around hard disk authorized software.

If you use Disk Warrior it will show you the files but you can't alter or move them in any way. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]