Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2002, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Played with the new POD today.

Quote:
32 bit floating point processing, 24 bit D/A.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i don't see any mention of this on the web site.

i don't use my POD 2.0 much because the limited bit depth (16 bit throughout, i think) gives it a cheesy digital sound. i would imagine that specs like those above would make a big difference, but i'd think that such a substantial upgrade would be part of the sales pitch on the web site.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel Roth:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> 32 bit floating point processing, 24 bit D/A.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i don't see any mention of this on the web site.<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's what the POD dood told me at AES.

I don't think they listed the digital spec's for the 2.0 either.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:42 AM

Yeah, that's what the Line6 guy told me as well. The POD xt has 1 of the processors that the Vetta has, so it can do 1 amp at a time instead of 2.

I'm pretty sure that a POD xt PRO is just around the corner. In don't see why they wouldn't do it. Then, they should probably come out w/ a Bass POD xt and Bass POD xt PRO, and phase out all the older stuff.

As far as the Variax, I got to hold it, but didn't get to plug in and play it. When the Line6 guys were playing it, it definitely had no lag in response. I even asked the guy to put it on the Strat mode, ring out a chord, and flip the p/u selector switch back and forth real fast a la Jimi. You heard a "click" as it moved from one setting to another, but there was definitely no dropout in sound.

One thing about it though, is the neck. The neck feels kinda like a Les Paul neck, kinda like a PRS. But the guy told me that since it's bolt-on, you could just replace the neck w/ whatever you're comfortable with. I think that was a pretty smart move on Line6's part.

Once I get to try this thing out (and the PODxt), I just might have to get one!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2002, 01:41 PM

The guitar feels pretty solid overall. I'm used to a thinner neck, so the neck kind of bothers me. You can use one 9-volt or 6 AA's (!), or phantom power w/ the included siwtch-box thing (this seems like the best option).

I'm not sure if the neck pocket will accomodate drop-in replacement of Strat/Warmoth necks. I would think so, but I'm not sure. Wish I had asked them about that. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I think if I were to get a Variax, I would get a replacement neck, because it's not that much more, and I would feel much more comfortable with it. I play a Carvin DC127, so I could get Carvin's replacement neck for their Bolt, which has a very similar feel. Plus, it would have a more attractive (IMO) fretboard of ebony, straight string pull, and I could put locking Sperzels on it!

Hmmm, guess I better start saving...
Old 10-08-2002, 08:57 PM

I also got to play the new POD at the AES convention. Sounds Great! Has an LCD screen so you can actually see what preset you're on. I believe that I heard an improvement in sound but can't say for sure because I could'nt A/B it with the old one. Defintely worth checking out!
Old 10-09-2002, 12:24 AM

How does the guitar feel? It looks neck heavy. I like the idea of a bolt on neck, but the neck pocket has to accomodate a 3rd party neck, of course. The design looks OK, certainly better than a lot of guitars, but I think they could have made it more intersting, less spartan. Its odd seeing an "electric" guitar without pickups.

Line6 probably spent a lot of time "modeling" the 5 way switch click of a mid 70's Strat.

dave patterson / knobville

Quote:
Originally posted by auxsend1:
I even asked the guy to put it on the Strat mode, ring out a chord, and flip the p/u selector switch back and forth real fast a la Jimi. You heard a "click" as it moved from one setting to another, but there was definitely no dropout in sound. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 10-09-2002, 02:00 AM

Why buy a POD when you could have an AC30 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] If you don't like AmpFarm, try AmpliTube... it's pretty cool
Old 10-09-2002, 04:07 AM

I specifically asked the Line 6 guys about a Pod Xp Pro - and he said (with a grin) that they "couldn't confirm or deny it at this time". Yeah, I'd expect one in the not too distant future.

One thing for sure - the effects section has been SERIOUSLY upgraded vs. the Pod 2.0.

As for the Variax, it felt pretty good - neck's too big for my tastes too... and what's up with no Telecaster model? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:27 AM

Well, there was no Tele model in the prototype they were showing, but I was told (and it's on Line6's site) that there would be one in production models. I was also told that there would be an SG model. I told the guy "3 Les Paul models and no SG? How am I supposed to play AC/DC???" He agreed.

Yeah, didn't much care for the neck myself. IMO they went a little too thick. Hopefully it'll be easy to drop in a Warmoth or Strat neck.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:28 PM

What's the deal with the digital in/outs: USB??? WTF? What happened to SPDIF or optical? How am I supposed to hook it up to my 001/002? Is there some special driver or somthing? Didn't see that one coming! Otherwise, mummy I want one! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]