Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2002, 11:13 PM

Default 002 reviews... anyone??

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] My ears are itchin for a first hand review form some lucky first 002 owners!
Old 10-05-2002, 10:38 AM

Default Re: 002 reviews... anyone??

God I love the 002! It does exactly what it is supposed to, and does it well.

Buttons on the front panel allow you to manipulate many of the common actions you perform all the time when recording (ie, switching between Mix and Edit modes)... it is way easier for me to use the 002 vs my laptop (hunting for tiny Record enable switches, for example) to get the job done, but at any time I can switch back to the keyboard and mouse.

It is CREEPY to move the fader on the computer screen and have it move on the console. I've freaked out a few of my friends by inviting them to check it out, then loading a session and SNAP the faders move into place... they jump back at that, because they are so fast!

Then when the track starts, the faders continue to move as I 'recorded' in my previous mix session...

...I don't know what else to tell you, except BUY ONE. If yours is backordered, cancel your order and call Sweetwater. They'll even throw in free shipping if you are polite, and my package arrived with a big bag of candy!

...the REAL candy, of course, was the 002!

Let me know what else you wish to know. I love this darn thing.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:56 AM

Hey...I got a bag o' candy too!!! I love the flip mode! It allows you to adjust the parameters of your plug-ins using the faders [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] As I said on a different thread...everything sounds way clearer, and the plug-in package is phenominal!! I gotta learn some keyboards [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I definitely need a quicker computer or upgrade card, using a G4/400. And what makes things so cool is I emptied my lil' wallet and got a Octopre too!!!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2002, 04:02 PM

I've done a few test sessions w/ drum loops, mic'd 12 string acoustic, DI bass, and vocals. The only outboard gear used was a sans amp bass DI. Wow! The pre's sound much better than I had expected - the twelve string sounded warm rich and clear. Also, the converters appear to be considerably less harsh than those on the 888/24. Control surface layout is extremely intuitive and well thought out. Many usefull features. Little things - like the ability to send aux RCA inputs to channels 7 and 8 - are more useful tan one might imagine. I haven't done any bounces to disc and have only noodled with the plug ins. Next step is to do some A/B comparisons between 44/96 recording. These are first impressions only, but it's safe to say the guys at Digi did their homework on this one.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:32 PM

Damn you guys! Hands shaking...... heart rate increasing... starting to sweat...... Gear lust t t taking over, c c c can't c control it. Noooooo, I want one! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2002, 05:57 PM

Gavinchan:

CHARGE (it)!
Old 10-08-2002, 07:18 PM

Yeah, this is a go ahead CHARGE IT! purchase. IT kicks but! the converters do sound great and the interface is a breeze to pickup.
San Diego, Ca.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:17 PM

Now I would tell you the Digi002 is one of the coolest products I've EVER seen.... it's the computer-version of the Roland VS880. BUT being in my position at Sweetwater, you just might take that recommendation the wrong way In all seriousness, the Digi002 rocks! It's not perfect, not even a massive HD rig is... although it's darn near close But the great thin about the Digi002 is it FORCES THE USER back into faders and knobs. It makes using a compute-based audio system easy for even the guy that is afraid to leave tape.... that's the beauty of the Digi002.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:23 PM

can you talk about the report that 002s are dying under 25 hours of use? Even after the firmware update? There are at least three cases that I have read so far. That makes me a little nervous...
Old 10-08-2002, 09:48 PM

Citi,

That is news to me as the Digi002 is still too new. I know there have been a few updates but not sure if this is what has been addressed. Would you elaborate further as to what the problem is and whom this has happened to?