Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Waves Mercury Retrograde

Fact is soundgrid was a wrong move from Waves. They should know it by now... I paid wup this year to get axx native on PT 11, but I was not happy doing so. Let's see what happens next. I won't be buying any waves plugins for now. Spent too much on TDM already. If they want to be back on the game of professional studios they got to do something. Or they can continue to sell 30 bucks plugins for the kids. And that's maybe a better business now days...

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 03-10-2014, 08:38 AM

With that attitude, Waves sucks, and have lost a lot of customers, and on the other hand UAD, McDSP and Slate, among others, are getting new customers.
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 03-10-2014, 08:51 AM

Even though it has cost me more than I care to realize, it has been interesting watching a top of the line "pro" company turn semi-pro so quickly.

It appears that Avid "thankfully" has chosen not to follow down this road.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-10-2014, 09:29 AM

Default Waves Mercury Retrograde

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
it has been interesting watching a top of the line "pro" company turn semi-pro so quickly..

D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 AM

Nice.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-10-2014, 10:20 AM

I wonder how much Waves paid for that WUP ad space
Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Even though it has cost me more than I care to realize, it has been interesting watching a top of the line "pro" company turn semi-pro so quickly.

It appears that Avid "thankfully" has chosen not to follow down this road.
+1!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 03-10-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
You have it backwards.
No sir, I do not. Waves IS NOT responsible for Avid's poor decision making process. And by PDMP, yes, I mean AAX. Say what you want about why they did it. Here we are, almost a year later, with manufacturers STILL not migrated to this new format. And many who have said they have no plans to join up. So, it's workarounds and workflow changes for many of us, indefinitely.

Quote:
Waves is a certified 3rd party plugin developer SUPPORTING Pro Tools.
Okay. I used different words, but I thought that's what I said. ("WAVES, built plugins based on a proprietary format prescribed to them by AVID(Digidesign), to work within their DAW."Translation:3rd party plugin developer SUPPORTING Pro Tools.)

Quote:
If/when the host changes as it sees fit to keep up with technology, 3rd party devs can either stop supporting it, or make whatever changes needed to service its customers.

Okay. So, they did AAX native. Which means they are still supporting their customers. Coding for AAX DSP is something that they ARE NOT the only developer who decided not to do...

Quote:
Waves has definitely dropped the ball here by not doing AAX DSP and by continually "moving the line" when it comes to their bundles.
I still feel it is AVID who dropped the ball with this format change. The snail-like pace of development for other AAXDSP plugins is clear evidence of that. Waves other practices, with the bundles and so forth(and we all know WUP does sometime suck), are all subjective arguments that are moot at best...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 03-10-2014, 08:20 PM

My problem is I am heavily invested in Waves, and I love their plugins! Waves is a big reason for me staying TDM. No way I am going to sink lots more cash so I can use PTHD11.

There are only a couple of features I find compelling, plus, I bet all the new features to come will be more post related vs audio. With Avid Everwhere, it's obvious, the post market is Avid's bread and butter, not audio.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 03-10-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
My problem is I am heavily invested in Waves, and I love their plugins! Waves is a big reason for me staying TDM. No way I am going to sink lots more cash so I can use PTHD11.

There are only a couple of features I find compelling, plus, I bet all the new features to come will be more post related vs audio. With Avid Everwhere, it's obvious, the post market is Avid's bread and butter, not audio.

And so far as I see, Waves is still supporting their TDM products.The only problem comes when folks have to have the latest and greatest. And, surprise, there's a cost for that. The cost of doing business. If your TDM system is working, why should you change? Same for anyone. Is PT11 SO compelling? And your Waves TDM plugs rock on...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...