Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2013, 11:41 PM

Default What's the difference between Digidesign 96 and 96i?

Hi,
I keep wondering whats the difference between Digidesign 96 and Digidesign 96i?

As per description, Digidesign 96i accepts line level input specifically for sound modules, keyboards, synthesizers, etc....

While Digidesign 96 accepts analog input, what the heck do you connect on the analog input? isnt that the same as line level input?
Old 07-27-2013, 12:21 AM

Default Re: What's the difference between Digidesign 96 and 96i?

96 I/O 8x8 line level.

96i I/O 16x2 line level

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-27-2013, 12:32 AM
Admin Emeritus

If you want to download the manuals for each, you can get them here:
Pro Tools HD 8.0.x Technical Documents - All
Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 AM

I have a 96i in my setup with a digidesign pre for any microphones I may want to use on the first 8....I like it because I don't use a mixing console.....It automatically routes the audio out the 2 main outs so it's convenient for me....moon
Old 07-27-2013, 10:05 AM

Also worth noting that 96i does not have a legacy port, if you want to be using one in a really legacy system...
Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
96 I/O 8x8 line level.

96i I/O 16x2 line level
If both are line level, why Digi has to specifically say that 96i is for synth?

I always thought that 96 is only for analog signal from an analog mixing console.

Also I notice a very big difference of sound quality using between the 96 analog input and 96 Digital spdif input.

I can use my keyboard's line out to connect to 96 analog input or keyboard's spdif output to 96 spdif input. But there is a big difference in sound quality and sounds like my digital plugins work better from the digital input.

That also wondering me if the analog input from 96 if for analog consoles only and all processing should also be in analog form.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerberson12 View Post

I always thought that 96 is only for analog signal from an analog mixing console.

Also I notice a very big difference of sound quality using between the 96 analog input and 96 Digital spdif input.

I can use my keyboard's line out to connect to 96 analog input or keyboard's spdif output to 96 spdif input. But there is a big difference in sound quality and sounds like my digital plugins work better from the digital input.

That also wondering me if the analog input from 96 if for analog consoles only and all processing should also be in analog form.
There is no such thing as "analog from an analog mixing console". There is line level, it does not matter where it comes from. There is pro (+4 dBu) and consumer-level (-10 dBV) line-level signals, but again what line-level any device actually outputs/expects is a universal issue, not just for console line signals. And both the 96 and 96i have switchable +4 dBu/-10dbV input and output levels. All covered in the user guides.

All these Avid boxes have are all line level and work the same with a analog synth output. It is hard to follow the broken English here, and work out exactly what you are saying, or what you are reading that worries you. What exact reference are you looking at? Give a web link, or page number, or cut and paste the text for the exact thing that is concerning you.

If digital sounds better to you then just use that instead of analog.

Darryl
Old 07-27-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerberson12 View Post
Digdesign had a similar black box called 1622 and that was specifically designed for synths. It even had changeable levels in the hardware setup. That 96 i-version has been put out to replace the 1622

That "for synths" clause really just means you can connect 8 line-level stereo devices (synths) to that box, compared to just 4 stereo of the regular 96 version. Makes things 50% cheaper if you have many synths.