Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2013, 03:49 PM

Default Clicks and pops when trying to record.

Hi I have problems with clicks intermittent when i set a track to Rec enable, I am using an 888/24 with an adat bridge/24. This only happens when i enable the adat digital tracks. The adat light pipe is connected to the first 8 tracks of an Otari Radar 1. I have tried changing the interface cables connecting both 888 & adat to the y cable from the Mix core Card (which resulted in loss of dsp for extra Reverb One) and also the original config, 888 connected to Y cable A be left unconnected and Adat connected to DSP Farm(Correct Rev). At first i thought it was a Clock problem so i purchased a cable to run from the Otari Radar master to Adat bridge but just got digital noise when Rec enable. I alos tried conecting adat bridge to 888 with the clock cable but it has made no difference i am still getting the clicks.

I have had this setup for a few years but never used it with the adat bridge diital inputs

Any help would be great Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Clicks and pops when trying to record.

Isn't the RADAR-I only 16bit device? I might remember this wrong, though, but if it is and you have a 24 bit session you might have your problem right there.

But let us assume I remember this wrong and it indeed is a 24 bit device. Anyway, you have to have all digital gear connected, not just two.

- First, sync the black boxes by feeding a clock cable from the master unit to the slave. Do not loop it back, though.
- Then connect ADAT both ways, input and output, so the synced clock goes to your ADAT device.
- Last, set the ADAT device to sync to your clock signal.

*OR* grab a used master clock and feed that clock to all your boxes.

Once you have all digital boxes in sync, the pops will go away.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Isn't the RADAR-I only 16bit device? I might remember this wrong, though, but if it is and you have a 24 bit session you might have your problem right there.

But let us assume I remember this wrong and it indeed is a 24 bit device. Anyway, you have to have all digital gear connected, not just two.

- First, sync the black boxes by feeding a clock cable from the master unit to the slave. Do not loop it back, though.
- Then connect ADAT both ways, input and output, so the synced clock goes to your ADAT device.
- Last, set the ADAT device to sync to your clock signal.

*OR* grab a used master clock and feed that clock to all your boxes.

Once you have all digital boxes in sync, the pops will go away.
Hi Yes you are right Radar 1 is 16Bit so i changed the session to 16Bit but still got the Clicks, But following your next advice cured the problem, Both Digi black box's linked with clock cable My problem was the Radar was sync'd to wordclock not Adat once changed all was fixed.

I also took the Y cable off the system and connected the 888/24 to the mix core and the Adat bridge to the DSP farm and getting extra Reverb One. Am i right in saying that the Y cable in Place is lowering the DSP even if only A is used.

Anyway Thanks for your help Great stuff
Martin
Old 07-27-2013, 10:12 AM

No. The purpose of a Y-cable is to feed 16 i/o to a MIX card. A MIX card can handle 16 i/o but not all cables can feed that much. So it's just a workaround.

The cable used with 1622 is a 16 channel one, but the other ones can only carry 8 channels. So, combine two 8 channel cables and your MIX card is happy to see all 16 i/o that it can handle.

There is no other magic.