Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2013, 01:10 AM

Default Going from 10.6.8 to 10.8.4 ?

Well , I am about to upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.8.4 on my current computer using the App store update . I know this is not the optimal way but I don´t have the time to do a clean install , reinstalling hundreds of plugins...

However I wonder...is there any known facts about plugins that will not work with 10.8.4 , for example TC TDM plugins reverbs and mastering plugins , Duende Native etc ?
Old 07-21-2013, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Going from 10.6.8 to 10.8.4 ?

TDM plugins work wonderfully wherever PT works, but as you know you won't be able to upgrade to PT11 with TDM systems. PT10 however works wonderfully with Mountain Lion and there are zero issues with TDM plugins. Haven't been in many years in my experience. So no trouble there.

I'm assuming you're using PT8 now, so what would you be looking for with the upgrade? Are you thinking more about PT10 or the Mountain Lion? If you upgrade OSX, you most likely will have to upgrade PT as well. And since PT9 brings very little new for TDM systems, you would really want to go PT10 for new features such as Disk Cache, Clip Gain, and realtime fades, just to mention few. But if you think you can use PT8 with Mountain Lion, I do not know whether it works or not, nor will Avid support you with the system.

Long story short, if your TDM plugs work in 10.6.8 they will work in 10.8.4 as well.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:47 AM

Thanks a lot. I am on PT HD 10.3.6 already so my question was purely about OS X upgrade so it seems to be a smooth update then.
Will back up first though
Old 07-21-2013, 03:54 AM

If you already have PT10 it will be one smooth upgrade.

(so dumb of me. your sig had PT10 mentioned... d'oh)
Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 AM

Everything ran very smooth. Only thing not working after the update was Duende Native but updating the Codemeter software did the trick.
I had to wait a couple of hours though to let Spotlight do its index thing , during the indexing I had some performance issues with disc streaming virtual instruments but as soon as I figured out that Spotlight was working really hard as it obviously had to re-index my hard discs after the update I now can work as smooth as before
Old 07-26-2013, 03:20 PM

Well... been running for a couple of days now and it is not as stable as 10.6.8.
I had several Pro tools crashes when starting Pro Tools. Of course it can be third party plugins but even so 10.6.8 was better. i updated because of the logic pro x so I guess I had no choice and sure I am now prepared for pt11 as well...

EDIT: It was due to a virtual instrument...which I updated and now everything is great actually !!!

Last edited by Firechild; 08-15-2013 at 11:00 AM.