Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2011, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Should I buy another preamp?

If I ever "came into some money" I would probably still get me two Portico II's.

I have no solid reason why.. but I drool every time I look at one. Can't help it.. it just looks like a nice bit of kit. (and I would suspect that with RND's initials on it it would be...)
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
For now, its strictly about maximizing the number of inputs. When I get 4 more analog preamps, the ISA will go back on lightpipe and bring in 8 channels. Having run the ISA on both analog and digital ins, the difference is not so great that clients care.(and the client is always right.....no matter how wrong they may be) BTW, the Metric Halo box looks quite nice, and the Saffire56 is on my list too, but I am not ready to give up my 003 control surface(still hoping for a firmware update that will allow it to become a controller only).
I've got a Digimax LT that I usually use via lightpipe when I need the extra ins with my BLA hacked 003R. Occasionally though I'll run them line in and bypass the Presonus conversion stage. Have you ever tried running the ISA via lightpipe and 4 of the D8 pres line in to the ISA and the remaining 4 line in to the 003?

I haven't used a D8 so I am not familiar with it's conversion quality but the LT's pres noticeably open up when I bypass the unit's conversion and go line in.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
I've got a Digimax LT that I usually use via lightpipe when I need the extra ins with my BLA hacked 003R. Occasionally though I'll run them line in and bypass the Presonus conversion stage. Have you ever tried running the ISA via lightpipe and 4 of the D8 pres line in to the ISA and the remaining 4 line in to the 003?

I haven't used a D8 so I am not familiar with it's conversion quality but the LT's pres noticeably open up when I bypass the unit's conversion and go line in.
That's a combo I have yet to try(but I might do that sometime soon). I am finding more improvement with microphones for now. Just ran a shootout with the Miktek stuff against several competitors and will be adding that brand to my closet shortly(waiting on a check). Was all set to buy the T'Funken AR-51, but the C7 and CV4 match or beat it for way less money, and when you look inside, its not even close Plus, Miktek is in Nashville so service will be easy.(and it doesn't hurt that the staff there are all really great). Kudos to Mike and Kathy

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-25-2011, 07:52 AM

ok so I've been thinking about this more and more, and just have a few questions:

Should I forget about upgrading my audio interface until Light Peak interfaces are released?

How would you rate the converters in the 003 Rack to the Liquid Saffire 56 to the FireFace UFX?

I usually HATE software-side "control panels" for audio interfaces. I like the 003 for this reason. I had the M-Audio 1814 which had a control panel program that barely worked. I hated the 1814 for this reason. How functional/stable/not annoying are the control panels for the Liquid Saffire 56 and the FireFace UFX?

It seems that selling the 003 privately and "upgrading" (crossgrading?) to the Liquid Saffire 56 is a minimal investment - a couple hundred dollars or so..... which is attractive at this point....
SIIG FireWire Express Card
Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE
Digi003 Rack || PreSonus D8 || ART MPA Gold || ART PRO VLA II || Ensoniq DP/2
M-Audio Axiom 49 || Behringer BCF2000
Yamaha HS50Ms

Bands: Captain Starr || stereoINs
Drums: 1 || 2 || 3
Guitars: 1 || 2 || 3
Old 03-25-2011, 07:59 AM

IMHO, the RME drivers are some of the best there are.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-25-2011, 02:10 PM

The general vibe I'm getting is that if I go through the trouble of selling the Digi003 and get the Liquid Saffire 56, I'll be let down with the "better quality" converters.... would this be accurate?
Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE
Yamaha HS50Ms

Old 03-25-2011, 03:47 PM

"Should I buy another preamp?"

The answer to this question is always "yes." But I think you should go with your apparent instincts and get better converters first.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 03-25-2011, 04:05 PM

How many channels of I/O do you want? You state you need at least 16, but would more be better? If so then you really might look at other interfaces as you'll never get more than 18 out of the 003.

If you do decide to upgrade I'd really look around. I don't doubt some of the interfaces listed so far are great. However IMO Metric Halo, RME and MOTU are probably the best ones listed so far. Don't forget Apogee either.

And don't let the price of the ULN-8 scare you away from Metric Halo. They do make the 2882 and ULN2 that are much more affordable, and you can daisy chain them for more inputs. I'm probably gonna get a ULN2 soon, as I don't need a lot of I/O right now, and when the need and money arise I'll add either a 2882 or ULN8 for even more I/O. Just depends on how much I have to spend at the time.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
How many channels of I/O do you want? You state you need at least 16, but would more be better? If so then you really might look at other interfaces as you'll never get more than 18 out of the 003.

If you do decide to upgrade I'd really look around. I don't doubt some of the interfaces listed so far are great. However IMO Metric Halo, RME and MOTU are probably the best ones listed so far. Don't forget Apogee either.

And don't let the price of the ULN-8 scare you away from Metric Halo. They do make the 2882 and ULN2 that are much more affordable, and you can daisy chain them for more inputs. I'm probably gonna get a ULN2 soon, as I don't need a lot of I/O right now, and when the need and money arise I'll add either a 2882 or ULN8 for even more I/O. Just depends on how much I have to spend at the time.
More would definitely be better. I've already maxed out the 003, so right now the contender for my money is the Liquid Saffire 56. Tons of I/O, 8 built in preamps, 2 of the Liquid preamps which seem VERY interesting to me, all inputs on the back (I don't like ones on the front like the FF800), no lack of control room volume control (again, like the FF800), plus tons of ADAT expandability... for minimal investment. I'm again just worried about going through all this, not actually upgrading the converters and ending up with something similar to the 003 at it's core, once you remove all the frills like the Liquid preamps, I/O, etc.

At this point, getting something like an A2D via SPDIF on the 003 is a nice option, as well as continuing to use the ADAT ins... thus ignoring all A/D conversion on the 003. But a colleague at work reminded me of something else.... what about the D/A conversion? I can get around the A/D on the 003, but to listen back, I HAVE to use the 003 to convert back....

Ugh I hate this hobby.
Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE
Yamaha HS50Ms

Old 03-26-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pronto View Post
More would definitely be better. I've already maxed out the 003, so right now the contender for my money is the Liquid Saffire 56. Tons of I/O, 8 built in preamps, 2 of the Liquid preamps which seem VERY interesting to me, all inputs on the back (I don't like ones on the front like the FF800), no lack of control room volume control (again, like the FF800), plus tons of ADAT expandability... for minimal investment. I'm again just worried about going through all this, not actually upgrading the converters and ending up with something similar to the 003 at it's core, once you remove all the frills like the Liquid preamps, I/O, etc.

At this point, getting something like an A2D via SPDIF on the 003 is a nice option, as well as continuing to use the ADAT ins... thus ignoring all A/D conversion on the 003. But a colleague at work reminded me of something else.... what about the D/A conversion? I can get around the A/D on the 003, but to listen back, I HAVE to use the 003 to convert back....

Ugh I hate this hobby.
My thoughts exactly.

I gave the 56 a test run recently and was very impressed with both DA and AD. Unless Avid brings out an 003 replacement real soon that blows my mind, I will definitely be picking up the 56.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515