Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2017, 02:48 PM

Default Is this possible: beat detect and time stretch/compress MP3?

I start a lot of productions with iPhone recordings of guitar/vocals. Usually I'll have an idea of the form and tempo I want, and I'll import the phone MP3 into PT, then manually chop/stretch/compress/duplicte and otherwise mangle the phone mp3 to match my session tempo and form.

I do this because I find it useful to refer back to the original magical idea of the song so that it doesn't get lost as the production progresses. I also often use it as the first guide track, hence the need to conform to session tempo and form.

I would love to be able to import the MP3 into PT, and simplly use beat detective or something else to straighten out the tempo inconsistencies, and map/stretch/compress the imported MP3 to whatever tempo(s) i have set up in the session. Having always done drum editing manually, I've little experience w beat detective or similar plugins. Fwiw, I do have melodybe 4 which I know has some tempo mapping features, although I've never used them. (I upgraded just for the improved workflow! ��)

Is this possible to do in a more automated/semi autiomated fashion than the painstaking manual method I've been using?

Thanks!!
Old 02-13-2017, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Is this possible: beat detect and time stretch/compress MP3?

Use elastic audio and conform to tempo. It will literally be a matter of a few clicks.

For best results, you'll need to play with warp markers, but if it's purely for reference, you'll probably be able to get away with the default settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2017, 05:15 PM

Thanks Sardi - Haven't ever really messed with elastic time, I found in the past that those types of things produced some weird artifacts, so i left them alone.

Fine for this purpose though! Now if only I was on PT12 and could just print that track quickly.... :-D
Old 02-14-2017, 09:19 AM

What about this setting:

Setup>Preferences>Processing>Drag and Drop From Desktop Conforms to Session Tempo

From the PT 11 Reference Guide:

Drag and Drop From Desktop Conforms to Session Tempo

The Drag and Drop From Desktop Conforms to Session Tempo options determine whether or not REX, ACID, and audio files are imported as tickbased Elastic Audio and conformed to the session tempo.

No Files:

When enabled, REX and ACID files, and all other audio files are not conformed to the session tempo when imported by drag and drop from Windows Explorer or the Mac Finder. They are imported as sample-based files and converted to the sessions audio file format.

REX and ACID Files Only:

When enabled, only REX and ACID files are conformed to the session tempo when imported by drag and drop from Windows Explorer or the Mac Finder. REX files are
imported either as tick-based Elastic Audio or, if the Import REX Files as Clip Groups option is enabled, as tick-based clip groups.

All Files:

When enabled, all audio files (including REX and ACID files) imported by drag and drop from Windows Explorer or the Mac Finder are imported as tick-based Elastic Audio and conform to the session tempo.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-01-2017, 02:09 PM

Thanks - finally tried this today. conform to session tempo does something, but it seems to conform to a tempo around 80bpm, rather than the tempo i have set at bar 0, which is 102bpm. Obviously doesn't match the click at all.

Is there some master session tempo somewhere that I don't know about?
Old 03-06-2017, 08:38 PM

Tried again after upgrading to PT12 for unrelated reasons and same story. "Conform to tempo" function slows it down waaay to much.

The recorded clip is voice and acoustic guitar, probably around 100bpm plus performance variation. my session tempo is 102. But as i said the conform to tempo feature doesnt seem to work at all... any ideas?