Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2003, 12:35 PM

Default Griffin G4Port supported in OS X?

Hi... We've got one room here on an HD3 using a Griffin G4Port for serial control. Are these serial ports supported in OS X, or am I going to have to find a new alternative. We're still running 5.3.x as we wait for a couple of issues to calm down before moving up to 6.x.

Even though we have the sync I/O, with the video hard disk recorder, the G4 kicks butt on the Sync I/O for lock-ups and lock-up time to picture.

Thanks!

Brad McIlvaine
Sr. Mixer/Designer
Henninger Media Service
Washington DC 20036

www.henninger.com
Washington, DC 20036
Old 11-10-2003, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Griffin G4Port supported in OS X?

Google

gPort OS 10.2 (Jaguar) Software
Software for enabling the gPort, g4Port, and CubePort universal serial adapters for B&W G3s, G4s, and Cubes in OS 10.2. Version 1.2 provides support for all applications and drivers that work under OS 10.2.

gPort Serial MIDI Driver
Software for enabling compatibility with legacy serial devices and the gPort, g4Port. Requires OS X version 10.2.3 and includes the gPort driver plus an application used to select the port for use with Core MIDI.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/sof...re_serial.html
Old 11-10-2003, 04:29 PM

Good link, but I haven't gotten it to work in Pro Tools? I fiddled with machine control over the weekend with the G4 port, and it was not reliable. Machine control worked fine with the Digi serial port, so I know it's not the machine, cable, etc. I could establish communication about one out of four tries and get the machine to play, but it would immediately "lose communication with the serial device". Maybe I'll have to spring for the Keyspan...

OS 10.2.6, MDD G4, Mix 3, USD, PT 6.1.

rcm
Old 11-11-2003, 04:50 PM

Answering my own post here as I have confirmed today that machine control works fine with a Keyspan adapter, and does not work with the G4 port. With the ilok dongle, computer deyboard, and USB MIDI interface, it looks like I will also need a USB hub. Are there recommended brands to buy or avoid?

This stuff didn't use to be this comnplicated back in the old days...

rcm
Old 11-11-2003, 04:58 PM

Keyspan!!!!