Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2009, 02:04 PM

Default Anything I should know about before uninstalling/reinstalling PTLE 7?

After upgrading the motherboard and CPU (both Digi-approved hardware). reinstalled XP Home, on my PT LE 7 002 Rack sysem, I'm having problems when loading the PTLE. It hangs at loading a plugin (AutoTune, which I've uninstalled and reinstalled--and with it uninstalled PTLE just hung on another plugin anyway) and is "not responding" status.

I've done the "Repair" from PTLE Setup and it did not help. So, I want to uninstall PTLE and then reinstall it. Is there anything I should know about this before I get myself into any trouble?

Edit: Just say I have 3 options for uninstall.

PTLE only
PTLE and DD Device Drivers
PTLE, DD Device Drivers, preferences, databases....

The third one sounds scary. Should I just do the second one? Will I end up removing anything I won't be able to reinstall from the PTLE 7.0?
Old 06-29-2009, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Anything I should know about before uninstalling/reinstalling PTLE 7?

Assuming your sessions are on their own drive, I would be tempted to use option 3. Deleting the database folder and the DAE prefs folder actually do fix lots of odd behavior. I would then(once Pro Tools has been uninstalled) reboot and install Pro Tools ONLY. Then reboot and test. If all is well, start adding your extra plugins and test after each is installed(or each bundle). This way, if a certain plugin or bundle causes problems, you know which batch need to be removed or maybe updated.

BTW, when you uninstall Pro Tools, you should have your DIGI interface disconnected. When you reboot, have it connected but powered off(002/003) and turn it on when the installer asks for it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-29-2009, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Anything I should know about before uninstalling/reinstalling PTLE 7?

Thank you. I'm going to try this. But question: If I do option 3, will all plugins that are now installed, be "disconnected" to Protools? Or are you saying I need to go and uninstall all of them first (always hate to do that in case I'm missing a CD or code upon attempt to reinstall).

One other question, for my 002 Rack, I have a choice of drivers ending in 007.inf 006.inf and 014.inf. Any idea which it should be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Assuming your sessions are on their own drive, I would be tempted to use option 3. Deleting the database folder and the DAE prefs folder actually do fix lots of odd behavior. I would then(once Pro Tools has been uninstalled) reboot and install Pro Tools ONLY. Then reboot and test. If all is well, start adding your extra plugins and test after each is installed(or each bundle). This way, if a certain plugin or bundle causes problems, you know which batch need to be removed or maybe updated.

BTW, when you uninstall Pro Tools, you should have your DIGI interface disconnected. When you reboot, have it connected but powered off(002/003) and turn it on when the installer asks for it.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:38 PM

Well, I go tthe answer to my question. I just did option #3 and did it exactly as you said. However, it's still trying to load plugins and still gets stuck on one. I guess I have to go through and uninstall them all. Right?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 PM

If you can see which plugin is hanging PT, you can go to the plugins folder and drag the files out to the unused plugins folder(this does not uninstall them, but just makes Pro Tools ignore them). You should find both folders if you go C:Program Files>Common Files>Digidesign>DAE. Once there, you should see a folder named Plugins, and another named Plugins(unused). In the Plugins folder, there will be 2 files for each plugin(same name, different extension). You can drag the files out and drop in the unused folder (or the desktop or some other folder of your choosing). By doing this, Pro Tools will not load those plugins. I can think of a few reasons why they might hang, but since I don't know(or remember) which; maybe they need updating or maybe they are optional plugins that you need an iLok to make work.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Avid

Do you possibly have IE8 installed? If so, you might want to see the alert in the Technical Announcements section of the DUC.