Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 AM

Default Re: FCP \"bug\" to watch out for...

Quote:
Just to make things interesting, it appears FCP actually WRITES this information to the audiofile, which means once it's been imported incorrectly once, it will ALWAYS bear that stamp, even if the FCP defaults are changed.
Oh my god, I find that so disturbing. Isn't the whole point that FCP doesn't "touch" your media in any way without warning you??? Like, for example, when you change timecode of the file or reel name.

Is this new to FCP 6?
Old 08-22-2008, 07:47 PM

This thread should really be a sticky considering that this FCP bug/ feature potentially affects a large number of Pro Tools users. A lot of us here on the DUC have been scratching our heads about this one for a long time.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
This thread should really be a sticky considering that this FCP bug/ feature potentially affects a large number of Pro Tools users. A lot of us here on the DUC have been scratching our heads about this one for a long time.
I heartily agree!
www.tnfilmlocations.com
Old 08-24-2008, 08:39 AM

please make it sticky
Old 08-24-2008, 03:36 PM

Default Re: FCP "bug" to watch out for...

Perhaps the stickie should be "work flow issues". FCP is going to change, and so is Avid. This might be a good place for issues related to getting sound and pic together on various platforms.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:57 AM

The bug gets even worse... Once Final Cut has "stamped" an audio file this way, it is "stamped" that way FOREVER!!! You can rename the file til the cows come home and it won't change a thing. That means that no matter what you do to your Capture or Sequence settings, Final Cut has already stamped the file as "needing to be pulled up/down" and will do so forever. I have actually started making a 'copy' of audio files in a different location before I import them into Final Cut so that if this happens, I don't have to recapture the audio.

God, give me an Avid please! :)
Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 AM

Hi Marspe...

Yup... this info is added to the file Metadata (I've confirmed this with Apple techs...). You don't need to RENAME the file, you need to DELETE it, recopy it and THEN re-import with the correct settings...

At least as of 6.04 you CAN tell if this is happening by noticing if you get a green or red line on your Audio track, which indicates a sample rate conversion....of course that assumes the editor is actually LOOKING...

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada
Old 09-12-2008, 10:03 AM

All this has been about straight 24. 23.98 is whats usually in style & for that, I'm not sure I've seen this happen. I have, however, seen mixes poofed out at true 24 when 23.98 was what was asked for..
Old 09-17-2008, 04:52 AM
The Cargo Cult

so I'm not convinced that anything is written into the file.

I have a DVCPro - 25pn project which had audio loaded while settings were NTSC (dammit). - audio thinks it is NTSC speed and plays back fast against the pix.

I grabbed one of the apparently modified files, duplicated it in the finder (with a new name) and imported it with FCP on the correct settings.
it imported fine and plays in sync.

so this tells me the declaration that the file is NTSC is written to a database somewhere. does anyone know where this might be?
Old 09-17-2008, 08:24 AM

i don't think that metadata is being changed after importing.

yesterday, I captured a PAL material and forgot to change the capture setting back to NTSC. Then I imported a NTSC Bwav file. noticed the the green line. the sync was all over the place.
After changing the capture setting, re-importing the file solved it.

berk

PS: FCP 6.04