Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 PM

Default Piano-roll: change label/name on keys

I guess not, but is it possible to change label/names for keys on piano-roll?
Would be nice when working with drums...
Old 12-28-2012, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Piano-roll: change label/name on keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha2dorff View Post
Nope. But some drum VI packages let you map the key/note assignments. That does not get you anything really useful like labels on the DAW keyboard/piano roll.

If you want to be impressed by somebody doing it right Google "Logic Hyper Editor". Really nicely done. Pro Tools really needs to play catch up here, I hope they do in 11.

Darryl
Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 PM

actually Logic has a great drum instrument in the environment that you can remap and everything. I miss Logic sometimes.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:15 AM

I was a Logic user for many years until the day Emagic sold to Apple. I had changed from Mac to PC at that time, so I changed to Cubase SX and then to Nuendo after a while.
After years with Nuendo I switched to Pro Tools 10 about 6 months ago, and to HD (Thunderbolt) a few weeks ago.
I really like Pro Tools, but I have a dream that Avid put in some of the good stuf from Cubase/Nuendo and Logic. Another great and easy to implement feature I hope can be copied from Logic (and now Cubase) is symbol on each track.
Time wil show :)
Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 AM

Talking Re: Piano-roll: change label/name on keys

Me too. I was always pc. Logic's instrument that can be remapped and titled is called "mapped instrument". Another company that took money from PC users is Apogee. Understandingly, Vista killed forward progress with PCs. Vista works now but it was such a dog. But I still think Apogee owes it's customers Win 7 drivers, now Win 8.
I used Logic 1.5 for Atari, now 2.5 which included Notator. I bought a PC key just before they did audio. It was horrible. Logic got better and better and by 3.5, it was cranking away with Audio. I did a CD with a lousy packard bell but I added a drive and a Digidesign Audio Media III that Logic had excellent drivers for. That was a smooth mixing environment for my Pentium 100!! I ran a VS-880. I was able to run the VS, Logic with an Akai S3000 XL which had a digital 2 track recorder feature. That was my mix down deck while it was pumping out drum samples! While the CD was not the biggest sounding disc, it was the best mixed CD that the artist ever put out. I dribbled out CDs on my Ricoh 6x CD burner, audio at 1x! This was all on Windows 95. Logic was an amazing program and still is but for it's time, it was leaps and bounds above the flock for the PC. In fact, while Logic was chiefly a mac program, the 4.0 version actually worked better on the PC. It was so much fun to use. The ad campaign for a while was "Go to work with a smile". I did.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:08 PM

:)
Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha2dorff View Post
I did some experiments using TextEdit on the Mac some time ago, but I found lining up the names with the "piano notes" very hit and miss.

My post is fourth in the thread:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...names+textedit
Old 12-31-2012, 03:41 AM

Yeh, I know what you mean..

It would be very cool to be able to name things on the piano roll.

In a VST like Boom for example, the names are mapped on the the side of the matrix and it makes it very easy to see what you're programming.

Im new to drum programming and when I go to write midi data in the editor window it's okay but could definitely be made to be a bit more user friendly.

For example, as you say, if you could label notes in the piano roll that could help.

Also, it would be extremely useful if there was a drum matrix in Pro tools that allowed simple step entry.
Whilst you can still use the midi editor for step entry method I like the look of a matrix window for drums.

It's very easy to program drums in Boom using it's Matrix editor, however if you want to remap the midi written in Boom to other samples/ programs I don't think that is easily achievable.

Adam
Old 12-31-2012, 11:32 AM

To the extent that the ability to name notes in the MIDI editor/have a dedicated "drum editor" is a feature request for a subsequent version of Pro Tools, count me in!

The one other feature I would add is the ability to move notes around and reorganize them (see drum maps in Cubase). When working with large drum sample libraries (e.g. Toontrack), it is helpful to organize all hi hat articulations, tom articulations, etc. on adjacent keys.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:57 AM

That's exactly why I only mix audio in pro tools.

Ableton live is years ahead as far as working with articlations is concerned. You can use drum racks like drum maps, have all your articlations listed not only on the left pane but on the actual notes too.

Now if we could only merge live and pt we would have the ultimate DAW.