Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2012, 02:44 PM

Question 10HD nAtive + Universal Audio UAD-2 QUAD PCIe card

Hello y'all... so i've been doing some research trying to figure out my best option on a brand new 10HD setup for my new studio...

I am very interested in whats going on with the HDX setups but that is an expensive option, specially with not knowing how much support there will be initially as far as plug-ins and such... if i still had access to the outboard gear I learned pro tools with this would not be a problem as I wouldnt have to worry about latency..

Alas, there is all this discussion on how much latency is experienced with an HDnative system if you mix in the box,.. which I am limited to... To be honest I dont feel the need to purchase a bunch of outboard gere except for the essentials as I always automate my effects in the box via pro tools.. Of course I have gotten used to working with WAVES plug in packs & got really spoiled with their amazing plug in architecture & internal algorithms.!

seems to be the landscape is changing and WAVES may not support AAX going forward.. at least not for a good while.. too long for me to count on them with any certainty & I want the ability to jump up to 11HD as it becomes stable.. all this is a year from now obviously but i'm doing my homework early.

does anybody have experience with UNIVERSAL AUDIO UAD-2 plug ins? specifically their DSP pciE cards? any card will do really.. i'm looking at the QUAD option since its so cheap & it will match my new i7 lga2011 Quad setup nicely!! fast DSP + fast DAW is always a great match..

I am willing to learn a new plug in architecture if its worth it.. really... If i decide to stay with NATIVE for a bit I would still have the option to keep my WAVES reverbs for mixing as the only issue comes in when over-dubbing or tracking live off the floor.. Every artist i've ever worked with always requests effects while tracking! I love to play nice and we have had some excellent results when doing so... NOw its a whole new level & I really want to be able to exceed their expectations on tracking with delays & reverbs & compression on their headphone mix w/out affecting latency... its part of our creative process to allow the artist to know what its gonna sound like post mix! and not be forced to imagine the landscape... specially
important for recording vocals, i'm a singer myself so i know what I need to feel comfortable & when i'm not, the recording process always suffers, it ends up sounding dry and without personality...

any / all help is appreciated, specially from the pros as you know what i mean about pleasing the client! if its gonna be a problem I am able to jump to HDX... though I would really like to put that money towards a better control surface for hands on mixing.. a must for me! I have been spoiled with some great studio work in the past & just now have the ability to blow some good coin in getting my own DAW PTOOLS HD package...
Old 05-29-2012, 03:43 PM

Default Re: 10HD nAtive + Universal Audio UAD-2 QUAD PCIe card

do you need HDN? how much I/O do you need? do you need to use a Sync HD?

I'm thinking 10+CPTK and an UA Apollo might be a good deal

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-29-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post

I'm thinking that buying 10 HD software is an even BETTER deal(less $ than 10+the CPTK). Though the Apollo is still waiting for Windows drivers. 10HD software with something like the RME Fireface00 could be a good alternative(add the UA quad at a later date). HD/Native does hold some intrigue for me as well, but the cost of admission is a tad high for my current cash flow. I had intended to jump in with an old blue interface, but those suffer more latency that the new(and expensive) HD IO options(I need at least 16 in so the Omni is not in the running).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-29-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
...my new i7 lga2011 Quad setup
You're worried about latency with that CPU?? Is this your current rig, or on your list to purchase?

I have no problems tracking 16+ channels of a kit(full of plug-ins) at a buffer of 64 in a pretty large session using a 3 year old i7.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-29-2012, 04:49 PM

yeah i've seen you mention that before, its more research than anything yah know.. i figured there would be more comments on the subject if i created a thread designed to address such an issue.. way quicker and cheaper than trying out & finding out later yah know.!!?

yes my current rig is absurd fast but I have not tracked with it..! i know there is a lot of speculation that goes on in the forums & i wanted to get to the meat of it..
it shouldn't be an issue with my current clients as we are pretty fluid in the creative process... i'm sure my plug in pallet is enough to satisfy them & i havent had much
issues with it of late.. that was with a laptop & MbOX 2 FActory..

as far as the argument for 10+CPTK.. i just dont see the point.. HDNative is most definately well within my budget & i've already made that decision... therefore 10HD is a given@! i havent messed around with either but why stop at the liquor store if you're on your way to the strip-club right!!? lmao..

that and i'd much rather put my money on proper hardware.. ive built my rig using one of the top ASUS boards of recent.. PCIe is ultra fast... much better solution than old units w/ firewire / usb what have you.. i'm done with all that..

this is a whole new ball of wax... thank you for your responses.. i'll read them slowly now.. hehheh

most of my interest in UAD is cause i got the loot & i like new toys.. hahaha
Old 05-29-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'm thinking that buying 10 HD software is an even BETTER deal(less $ than 10+the CPTK). Though the Apollo is still waiting for Windows drivers. 10HD software with something like the RME Fireface00 could be a good alternative(add the UA quad at a later date). HD/Native does hold some intrigue for me as well, but the cost of admission is a tad high for my current cash flow. I had intended to jump in with an old blue interface, but those suffer more latency that the new(and expensive) HD IO options(I need at least 16 in so the Omni is not in the running).
Yes, there are people dropping deals on HD licenses but as I understand the upgrade policy; CPTK will do in 11 what it does in 9 & 10, 10HD License will do nothing for 11 and will not have an upgrade path w/o having hardware s/n to upgrade. So thinking long CPTK seems to be a better deal.

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-29-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:

yes, HDN @ minimum.. weather its a need or not.. its a starting point for me.. reasons explained above..

i can probably get away with 8 ins at this point.. more down the road but thats an easy fix... sync HD will probably come into the picture at that point... thanks for the comments..

In regards to the UAD-2 pci-card, there are some upgraded plug ins i've used in the past & i was intrigued to mess with them... that and the whole NEVE emu. package looks really interesting..

I prefer to buy actual hardware/software solutions cause if they dont meet my needs they sell quickly!! and i can recoup my losses nicely... but most of the time, once I find something i like.. i just get it & it sticks around.. i am a cancer & we're known for our pack-rat skillz@!

Quote:
CPTK will do in 11 what it does in 9 & 10, 10HD License will do nothing for 11 and will not have an upgrade path w/o having hardware s/n to upgrade.
hence HDnative.. for me.. its already a given... i am picking up the software to complement the hardware... Its why im' in the PRO TOOLS arena...thats how its always been... software written to run the hardware! no latency! done..
Old 05-29-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
i am a cancer & we're known for our pack-rat skillz
yes we are

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-29-2012, 05:41 PM

bwwaahahha... gotta love it if you're an audio geek though..
friends come over scratching their heads, wondering where the fack
their fancy one of a kind cable went.. where did i leave it bllah blah..

quickly reach into black hole in the wall, here yah go.. 6 foot or 12!??? hahahahah..