Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2011, 10:54 AM

Default Take it or Leave it?

Wow! Well since the PT10 announcement I've been reading though many of the posts here and even posting a little myself. I think it's is totally fine for everyone to have their own opinion, but I really think people DO NOT need to berate other people because they're either 'happy' or 'ecstatic' or 'disappointed' or 'mad as hell' about this release. If this release works for you, then great! If it doesn't, then don't upgrade for now, or 'ever' if that's what suits you. To each his own.

THAT BEING SAID, I am extremely disappointed about this release, the improvements, or lack thereof for my own personal needs and also the pricing structure for software upgrade and hardware exchanges. These notes are really for AVID so those of you out there who disagree, please feel free to comment but there's no need to get your knickers in a twist or tell me to get my 'head out of the sand' as someone had previously.

The RTAS VI issue. OUCH! If it were not for VE PRO, I would simply not be able to use Pro Tools for VI's. Just yesterday I was working on a new session/song arrangement. Two or three different loops imported and chopped up. Check√ Some elastic Time used. Check√ Superior Drummer instantiated (in PT not VE PRO), with "Music City Wallet and Duck Tape Combi Preset" Check√ Program 'real' drum parts. Check √ Instantiate Trillian. Check √ Go to load a bass sound in Trillian … and ALERT!!!! You are out of memory!!!!! Can anyone at AVID/Digi, honestly stand up and tell me that is acceptable for a 'Professional' DAW? … and after investing thousands upon thousands of dollars on your products over the last 15 years? Really, can you? Yes, I'm aware that that the Superior and Spectrasonics files I'm using here add up to nearly 3gig (but that's what time it is out there for high end VI's) and yes I'm aware that PT will only address 4 gig and yes I realize that will not change until PT goes 64 bit. I am also aware that this relatively simple task and way way beyond can be done quite effortlessly in Logic and also VE PRO. It's just very very frustrating to see the remedying of this major issue so delayed. At least for me.

So, yes, it was very disappointing for me personally to not see a 64 bit platform. And yes, I know one day it will be here, but the fact that it will be years from when when other companies were 64 bit is quite astonishing.

And yes, I still Love Pro Tools, but I"m thinking I will have to go back to working like I used to, cross-platforming for a while to work more efficiently. Sequencing, programming and printing VI's in Logic or DP directly or via VEPRO and then overdubbing and mixing in PT. I guess I've been trying and hoping to just be doing everything in PT, but that time is still many years away it seems.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Take it or Leave it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaulgeorgeringo View Post
So, yes, it was very disappointing for me personally to not see a 64 bit platform. And yes, I know one day it will be here, but the fact that it will be years from when when other companies were 64 bit is quite astonishing.
Years probably not as PT 10 is the last version to support rtas and tdm. Maybe a year, or two to allow those with legacy hardware to make the changes if they wish to use pt in it's 64 bit incarnation. But the thing is, Native and HDX and AAX are ready to move toward 64 bit. Only need to cut the line on the rtas and tdm to allow that to happen.

I'm not going to say that I know everything, but I suspect that one of the reasons why the bug fixing has been slow on certain level, is that Avid was mostly busy working on recoding everything to allow the move to 64 bit, and hopefully, now that we know that tdm and rtas is dead in the next version, that means it's the next version of PT that is 64 bit.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-22-2011, 11:42 AM

I think we will see better VI performance once the AAX versions come out. The lack of 64bit is only part of the problem. The biggest issue with VI's is RTAS. Both Kontakt and Spectrasonics have ram servers so once the AAX versions are out we should see much better results. I use them in 32bit with both Logic and Cubase with no problems loading tons of samples. If we had 64bit but were still using RTAS it would still suck. Hopefully we'll see AAX versions of third party VI's really soon.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaulgeorgeringo View Post
Yes, I'm aware that that the Superior and Spectrasonics files I'm using here add up to nearly 3gig
In case you haven't, read Toontracks guide on RAM optimisation in Superior.

With regards to your comments, then yes you are right. PT 64 bit is long overdue. The above is just some practical advice in case you weren't aware and it might ease your pain untill 64 bit arrives.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:54 AM

Smile Re: Take it or Leave it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjorte View Post
In case you haven't, read Toontracks guide on RAM optimisation in Superior.

With regards to your comments, then yes you are right. PT 64 bit is long overdue. The above is just some practical advice in case you weren't aware and it might ease your pain untill 64 bit arrives.
Hey, thanks Henrik. Yes, I am aware of it. Appreciate your help though