Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 03-15-2019, 03:05 AM

Default Re: No sound

Thanks for your reply. I don't have the money to buy an interface at the moment, or for a while.

Are you saying that I have to buy an interface to be able to use PTF?

Why can I not set windows to use ASIO4ll. It seems crazy that PTF says it doesn't work on windows unless you download ASIO4ll then it disables the sound on everything else! None of the helpful getting started video show any of this. They say download and then get started.

thanks
Old 03-15-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybean View Post
Thanks for your reply. I don't have the money to buy an interface at the moment, or for a while.

Are you saying that I have to buy an interface to be able to use PTF?

Why can I not set windows to use ASIO4ll. It seems crazy that PTF says it doesn't work on windows unless you download ASIO4ll then it disables the sound on everything else! None of the helpful getting started video show any of this. They say download and then get started.

thanks
You can check the System Requirements for PTF, where it states you will need an ASIO complaint audio interface to use the software.

PTF does not need ASIO4ALL, but generally the built in sound device on a Windows system does not offer a ASIO driver and therefore can not be used with PTF. ASIO4ALL is simply a bridge that will allow you to use your non ASIO Windows driver and have it appear to audio programs as a ASIO device. This will definitely work, but is far from the best solution.

The fact that you can't get sound in Windows at this point is not the fault of PTF, but rather something in ASIO4ALL. I don't personally use it, so I can't comment on how to properly configure it or even if it allows multi use.

A dedicated audio interface will give you a much better experience all around. There are some very inexpensive ones these days, and a simple USB interface will free up your Windows sound card for Windows sounds, while the interface will be dedicated to PTF.

System Details
Old 03-17-2019, 02:29 PM

Hey thank you this makes much more sense!

thanks again
Old 03-17-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Hey thank you this makes much more sense!

thanks again
If you're on windows, you can install asio4all and just use your on board sound card. Or you can alternatively use the Windows audio device, but that option won't work with the video playback engine enabled. Wasapi (or windows audio device) is an option that was introduced with Pro tools 12.

Benoni has produced a video explaining how to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT3QSDz8k04

Also regarding Asio4all. If you have an internet browser open that is playing a video of any kind, even an add on a webpage, opened before pro tools, then that browser will prevent pro tools audio from going through. The same thin happens in reverse, if you have pro tools opened and then you open a browser, you won't hear any sound out of the browser. Unless there's no audio/video on the webpage you are looking at.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-27-2019, 02:41 PM

Hi so just in case anyone has the same problem. I solved this by clicking on the ASIO4ll v2 icon in the windows menu found bottom left. An ASIO4ll v2 pop up appears. At the bottom on the right are two buttons. One is a spanner, which you can't activate the one to the left allows you to Set Default click this.
Then you are able to hear sound in pro tools first and when pro tools is not open the rest of the sound on the computer will work.
But if pro tool is open you can't hear sound on the computer.
Which is a little annoying as you can't watch a utube tutorial.

But at least you can use your computer normally when pro tools is not on.

Sweet hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:06 AM

Hi. I have brought an Behringer UMC22 interface. When I open my pro tool first session there is sound on my timeline, I can see it when its playing, but I can't here anything.
My playback in settings is set to the interface. Any thoughts on how to get pro tools to play thru my interface or even my speakers?
Old 05-25-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Hi. I have brought an Behringer UMC22 interface. When I open my pro tool first session there is sound on my timeline, I can see it when its playing, but I can't here anything.

My playback in settings is set to the interface. Any thoughts on how to get pro tools to play thru my interface or even my speakers?

When you say you want to play through your speakers OR interface, what do you mean? What are your speakers connected to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2019, 02:13 AM

Hey.

I mean I have the choice to play the sound back either to my interface, which means I can hear it when I plug the headphones into the headphone jack on the interface. Or I set it to Realtek speakers which is what my windows 10 system uses. I have a set of speakers plugged in thru the audio jack in the back of the computer.

By the way I have gone thru this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0IoyeHUJ_0&t=3s

I have done what I could as PTF is a little different to PT. I couldn't check the dyn as this is not showing in PTF. I also could not do the Setup then I/O section as this is also not showing in PTF.

Any help would be great cheers,
Old 05-25-2019, 10:12 AM

What have you got set up in Windows itself? What device is enabled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2019, 02:18 AM

In settings sound the output device is set as Speakers: (BEHRINGER USB WDM AUDIO 2.8.40)