Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-25-2019, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools cannot find (all) my aax plugins.

Hi Darryl.
My external hard drive is only containing a copi of my data disk, which I understand I have to delete anyway
Old 05-25-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperT View Post
Hi Darryl.
My external hard drive is only containing a copi of my data disk, which I understand I have to delete anyway
But that is an actual backup of your Mac right Do not delete that!! If meteorite crashed through your building and destroyed your computers we could still recover everything from that disk. Your *only*? Backup.... go and put that somewhere safe.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:06 PM

Ok let’s look at the disk setup on your computer.

How large in total are all your current sample libraries in your Mac plus any additional samples you might want to install? You are not going to transfer those, you need to reinstall them, I just want a quick guesstimate of space needed on your PC. That is really important and will affect what you should do here.

On your PC you have a 1TB SATA III SSD as the boot drive and a much slower 2TB SATA III hybrid HDD/SSD also installed. Those Samsung are great SATA SSD drives. But SATA is pretty slow/old technology. Your HDD is a hybrid HDD with a built in small SSD. I do not like seeing those hybrid drives in DAWs, for any use, just don’t like them, you are much better off using a real SSD, and prices of the Samsung Evo SATA drives are very compelling.

This disk layout of this system may be problematic, if samples will not fit on the boot drive... you cannot put samples and sessions in that hybrid drive together, and you don’t even want sessions in it by themselves. And you should not really be combing boot and sessions on the SATA SSD or samples and sessions on your HDD, hybrid or not.

Ideally on a system with a SATA SSD boot drive I would just try to install all samples on that drive and only deal with performance issues if they occur later, they likely won’t. And if stuck with using SATA drives I would put sessions on an second SATA SSD just dedicated to session, but I would not use a hybrid drive.

But the elephant (reindeer in Sweden?) in the room is you have such a powerful new computer, with a nice motherboard that has great M.2 PCIe/NVNe drive support. (I believe it supports two M.2 cards). I would have have set this system up with super fast NVMe SSD drives. That may also be a justifiable uograde here... depends on those sample sizes.

The very best layout here would be to install two M.2 NVMe drives like the Samsung SSD 970 EVO https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C8Y31G1..._5HC6CbA1DDMKA. *very* different than the slow SATA SSD Samsung you have as a boot drive now. Or you could install one of those and use your current Samsung SATA SSD as a boot drive. If somebody built this PC for you I expect you could have them install these M.2 drives.

If you install two m.2 drives, use one as system/boot and also put samples on that boot drive. Put sessions on the second M.2 drive and if needing more space for samples move some to the same drive the sessions are on... stuff you should not do with standard drives but should work great with these super fast PCIe-NVMe SSD card’s.

And remember you will need to make sure to also get backup drives, I would have at least two backup of your boot drive, those can be external USB HDD (7200 RPM) , but you want them at least as large as whatever boot drive you end up with, maybe larger, and then you want at least two more drives to backup/archive sessions to. HDD, not SSD is actually preferable for sessions for longer term archival storage.

If you tell me the space needed for samples and an idea of your budget here for setting up this storage. I will give you the some best options

Typed on my iPad at Joe & The Juice in Palo Alto... a great Denmark founded company invading the USA to show how to do good coffee etc

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-27-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:26 AM

Darryl Ramm ; Hi Darryl. You are certainly not scaring me. On the contrary I feeling so safe, and I am grateful and totally relying on you that you are helping me. I am only focusing on what you suggest. I am not doing anything before I have got green light from you. I have full trust in your knowlegde. I did ask the PC salesman the reason that he has choosen the system disk. He said that he think that it should cover my Protools needs ?
I have 3x internal harddrive: 2x Seagate Barra
cuda 3000GB 7200 RPM Firmware CC4B and 1x Toshiba 3TB High performance hard drive P300 7200RPM 64MB buffer HDWD 130.
I can understand that the new hard drive in the PC is Hybrid and is not good, so I won't use it .
I would be happy if you can see, if I can use some of these 3 hard drives. If not I will buy the hard drives you suggest.
Best regards
Jesper

Ps. Remember the avocado sandwich at Joe and the Juice (-:
Old 05-28-2019, 09:46 AM

Get a room you two

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-28-2019, 10:12 AM

Hej Christoffer. Jeg ved ikke hvor meget dansk du forstår - Helt oppe i Stockholm, So I will change to english. Yes I would like a room, but right now I don't know how to get it (:-. I am very grateful for Darryls help. On the other hand I have a room for you and Darryl, if you will meet in Sweden and for some reason would like to visit Denmark, you are wellcome.
många hælsninger från Jesper - Dronningmølle
Old 05-28-2019, 12:29 PM

Darryl is awesome and knows a crapload of stuff when it comes to tech in music so stay on his good side and you’ll have a wealth of knowledge to draw from

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-28-2019, 01:33 PM

Thank you so much. I will do what ever it takes to follow his advice, but my handicap is that I am a moron to IT !
He seemes though as a very passionate and compassionate being and my intuition says me, that we have more in common than IT. Yes I have faith in the project.
So if you see a thread from me and you feel that it is not appropriate, -please tell me (:-
Old 05-28-2019, 11:18 PM

Hi Jesper

What I was curious about is the size of your sample libraries.

What I would do with spinning hard drives or SATA SSDs (like your Samsung SSD boot drive in the PC) is put samples on the boot drive. That is the easiest place to put them, the default place for the installer, and you don't need to mess around moving samples--not that doing that is hard, but just the more things you change the more work it will take you to look after the system. And with the SATA SSD you are very unlikely to run into sample performance issues. It used to be that you might need to spread samples across multiple hard disk drives to get enough performance... with SSD, even SATA SSDs, that's unlikely to be needed, you might need multiple SSD drives only if you need more storage space.

If you don't have space on the boot SSD for samples what you can do is also put samples on one or more of your HDDs... which is where this thread started. But start by running the standard Windows installers, they may simply give you an option of where to put the sample libraries (or their documentation will tell you how to do this).

But what you don't want to do is also put your audio/session files on drives that have samples on them... and I'd also keep audio/sessions off that hybrid drive (if you *had* to use it I'd use it for samples not audio).

So I'd treat this as largely deciding where samples should go then finding an unused HDD that is at least 7,200 rpm to put the audio/sessions on.

And once you pick that drive all you need to do is makes sure it is formatted as NTFS and then drag and drop files off the exFAT drive you are using to transfer sessions on.

---

But better option:

The above options are if you want to save money and focus on using what drives you have now. We have no idea why you are moving from your Mac to a PC, if you were having performance or capacity related issues, or specific errors before. It's good you got at least a SATA boot SSD, that will make the computer feel "snappier" that a HDD boot drive. A PCIe/NVMe boot drive will make it seem even more so.

But with a high-end PC with such a nice motherboard that has two separate M2 PCIe/NVMe SSD slots I would be leverage that technology (PCIe drives are at least several times faster than SATA... and considering that are not much more expensive). If all your samples and sessions could fit in 4GB then two 2GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 drives will give you tremendous IO performance.... and the way I'd go.

---

Feel free to let us know what you decide to do and any other questions. I'm assuming you the person you mentioned is giving you some help. You should make sure they read this thread. And please remember --

1. Don't erase or risk damaging any session backups you have now.
2. Work out what drives the samples are going to go on first
3. The session transfer disk needs to be formatted exFAT (you may have already done that, I can't recall/find the info).
4. All drive partition you plan to leave connected on the Windows PC needs to be formatted NTFS.
5. Just drag and drop from the exFAT transfer drive to the NTFS audio/session drive.
6. Only install plugins and samples using the latest/compatible Windows installers.
7. Don't forget to optimize the Windows PC.
8. Test every session you have to make sure they all open and run.
9. Get a backup and archive plan working asap on your Windows PC.
10. Do not erase the old Mac audio drive even after you start using the Window PC, even if everything seems to be working, lock it/them away safe somewhere, you never know what disaster you might find in the future. Disks are very inexpensive.
11. Insert guitar amplifier joke here.

---

And yes the club sandwich (chicken and avocado), and Green Mile are my favorites at Joe's. They have opened multiple stores around Palo Alto and nearby and are doing very well. It's amusing that many of the customers seem to think they are a local or USA based company.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:51 AM

Hi Darryl .Thanks again.
On my Data/Sound hard drive I got 1.7 TB.
I hope it is okay for now to use one of my three 3TB hard drives I mentioned for you.