Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-25-2019, 08:39 AM

Default PT Not Reading Mic Signal on MOTU 8Pre USB

Hi guys,

I added a new secondary (slave) preamp unit to my DAW yesterday but when I went for a mic test I’m not getting signal in PT, even though I’m seeing signal readings on both the unit itself, as well as within the virtual mixer software.

Here are my setup specs:

I’m on PT 12.5 on Mac laptop OS 10.11.6
Main audio interface is MOTU 828 mkiii
Slave preamp unit is MOTU 8Pre USB (the newer usb version, not the older FireWire version)

I have the two Motu units connected via ADAT expansion, with the 8Pre as slave unit.

PT is not recognizing mic pre input via ADAT expansion. It recognizes the primary interface’s (828 mkiii) line level, but not the slave’s line level.

All settings changed appropriately on computer. Aggregate set to same bit depth. Sample rate 44100. Using master as clock.

To be clear, we are seeing signal readings on the interface and on the virtual mixer software (Cue FX) but PT is not reading level. This makes me think that it could be some PT setting that needs adjusting? Or is there a compatibility issue with the 8Pre and the Mac OS version I’m using? Not sure.

If anyone has ideas on what to try I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2019, 09:10 AM

Default Re: PT Not Reading Mic Signal on MOTU 8Pre USB

Hi by your description everything seems good to me in the setup . All i can think is that you can default the I/O and buss in PT preferences and see of this makes any change .

I don't have any experience with that interfaces so i can't go beyond .

Hope this help !
Old 05-25-2019, 09:48 AM

If you’re connecting the 8Pre to the 828 via ADAT, you should not be using the aggregate layer, but directly addressing the 828 instead.

If you only use one ADAT cable, the 8Pre would be clock master and the 828 would slave to the incoming ADAT connection. If you use two ADAT cables, one each direction, then the 828 can be clock master and the 8Pre would sync to the incoming ADAT connection.

In Pro Tools, you would find the 8Pre signal appearing at the 828 ADAT input channels. If you change the order or number of I/O channels available with your interface post session creation, you need to update those in Pro Tools. Go to the I/O setup window in Pro Tools and delete and default the paths on the input, output, and bus tabs and all will be good.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-25-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
If you’re connecting the 8Pre to the 828 via ADAT, you should not be using the aggregate layer, but directly addressing the 828 instead.

If you only use one ADAT cable, the 8Pre would be clock master and the 828 would slave to the incoming ADAT connection. If you use two ADAT cables, one each direction, then the 828 can be clock master and the 8Pre would sync to the incoming ADAT connection.

In Pro Tools, you would find the 8Pre signal appearing at the 828 ADAT input channels. If you change the order or number of I/O channels available with your interface post session creation, you need to update those in Pro Tools. Go to the I/O setup window in Pro Tools and delete and default the paths on the input, output, and bus tabs and all will be good.

Hi jimmy, thanks for replying. We gave that a shot but it didn’t seem to make a difference.
With a little more fiddling however, we realized it had to do with settings on MOTU’s CueFX software setup. You have to route the inputs as pairs in the virtual mixer and it’s a really counterintuitive process, probably other brands of interfaces are way easier to setup.

That said, issue is now solved. Just wanted to get back and say thanks for your input, much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk