Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2019, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019.5 some info please!

My 2 cents; I have made most of my living with Pro Tools for over 14 years. I started with the old 002 and LE6.1 and have gone thru several computers and interfaces, all in the name of improving my capabilities. Has PT been perfect? Not even close(there isn't any DAW that's perfect for everyone). Have I been able to do everything I have needed to do? Absolutely. For me(on my current system, which is a few years old) 2019.5 has shown a very solid improvement in performance, so I am quite happy to keep using it. Will other programs do all this stuff? You bet. BUT, I simply prefer the user experience in Pro Tools(the biggest reason that most of us keep going with it). Maybe its not the right choice for the way you like to work? Maybe your current computer is a bad match? Those are important questions that only you can answer

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-22-2019, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019.5 some info please!

It appears you just want to blow off steam. Cool... But CPU errors with seven tracks? Now THAT's something we can help you with. But we need more info...I read through all three pages here. It seems you're not really interested in solving these issues. You know, recording to tape is coming back. The immediacy of it. Fidelity directly related to tape speed, width, etc. And soon, people will start to rediscover the inadequacies of THAT medium. EVERYTHING has its tradeoffs. But your question regarding turning record on and off on the fly? That seems to be a frustration of yours that relates to the difference between one platform and another. But I WILL tell you this; recording and mixing are two completely different animals. What you can expect from a processor during live recording is completely different from what you can expect during mixing. That's why UAD sells SHARC processors. That's why Pro Tools offers the cards. And they ain't cheap. Cos real time processing that provides an accurate feed to the performer's headphones is no easy task. I've been using Pro Tools for about ten years. Native. At first, I had to use one of the Pro Tools interfaces. Fun!! I kinda miss those days. But now, I use a Scarlette 18i20. No problems at all. I have more computer issues (heat and fan noise!!) than with Po Tools. But can I record live with Ozone 7 on the master? Of course not. In fact, I record straight in. No reverb, delay, anything like that. But hey, that's me. The more processing going in, the more likely you'll get CPU errors. During mix down, just put it on 1028, and you should be good to go... Cheez, nowadays, you can use disc cache. Do you know how long it took them to let us have that? Pro Tools is absolutely killer. Very deep. I'm sure you can get it to do anything you want. But you have to learn it, the ins and outs. Good luck!!