Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 05-22-2019, 08:41 AM

Default Re: How to remove plugins from the PT list

I have mostly abandoned IK for just this reason. Too much hassle deleting unwanted plug-ins. I've kept SampleTank and MODO Bass though.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-22-2019, 09:37 AM

IK software is hard to use in several ways, not only the install/auth process is extremely long with lots of steps but for example Syntronic is not intuitive, the buttons change place or they don't always do the same and it has a lot of pages for something that sould be in the main interface. It's the last VI I think about when I need to add some synth parts.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
IK software is hard to use in several ways, not only the install/auth process is extremely long with lots of steps but for example Syntronic is not intuitive, the buttons change place or they don't always do the same and it has a lot of pages for something that sould be in the main interface. It's the last VI I think about when I need to add some synth parts.

I agree with most all of the above rantings about IKMM. Their authorization process is just burdensome!

However, I still use the CSR Reverbs. I really like the smooth drum room on drums and a some of the others on certain things. Just a nice clean reverb sound. And I like the White 2A levelling Amp and Black 76 limiting amp. I use on vocals a lot.

But, yeah, CS is a PoS in my opinion. Such a nuisance!

Old 05-22-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I agree with most all of the above rantings about IKMM. Their authorization process is just burdensome!

However, I still use the CSR Reverbs. I really like the smooth drum room on drums and a some of the others on certain things. Just a nice clean reverb sound. And I like the White 2A levelling Amp and Black 76 limiting amp. I use on vocals a lot.

But, yeah, CS is a PoS in my opinion. Such a nuisance!
Of all the IKMM stuff I have those two compressors are the only things I really still use. Their Echoplex emulation used to get major love from me until I got EchoBoy from Soundtoys.

The one that really disappointed me was IK's emulation of the Mutron III envelope follower. Takes WAY too much level to get the thing to work and even then it sounds like ice pick in the ear. And I should know first hand how the real thing sounds as I worked for the company back in the day when they were on the farm in Rosemont NJ. I did final test/checkout and repair on not just that but their phaser. The Bi-Phase was in development when I was there. The two memorable pieces of test equipment I had were a Fender Twin Reverb and a Strat. One of the tests was to play through every box that went out to make sure it worked as it was supposed to. Let's put it this way - if I ever put the kind of signal into the real h/w box like the IK emulation needs the effect wouldn't work like it's supposed to and you'd blow out the circuitry.

QAPLA!
Old 05-25-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
... One of the tests was to play through every box that went out to make sure it worked as it was supposed to. Let's put it this way - if I ever put the kind of signal into the real h/w box like the IK emulation needs the effect wouldn't work like it's supposed to and you'd blow out the circuitry.

But other than that....

Old 05-25-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
But other than that....
True.
It was a cool job though. I just wish they'd been able to see things through. I know that someone else picked up on what we did in hardware; not sure if it was EH or whomever.

As an aside but related:
A few years back I was in the local Guitar Center and they had a Mutron III in a showcase of used stompboxes. The salesdroid I talked to didn't know anything about it other than to say that it seemed to be dead. I asked if I could try it out nonetheless. When I plugged it in I immediately knew what the problem was - it needed a new opto isolator and that no one had anything to directly replace it. When I told him that he asked 'how do you know that?'. With the same tears in my eyes as I type this I said: 'because I worked for the company' and there were tell-tale signs from the way I had replaced the opto all those decades ago. You never forget one of your children

Sorry for going off the rails.............

QAPLA!
Old 05-29-2019, 02:57 AM

That's so cool! Did you buy the Mutron III finally? I've had such a bad luck finding a good envelope filter, they all sound too perfect now.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
That's so cool! Did you buy the Mutron III finally? I've had such a bad luck finding a good envelope filter, they all sound too perfect now.
Sadly no but I wish I had. Would have been a great project for those cold winter nights. I've not tried any of the current crop of stompbox envelope filters so can't speak to that but I remember when I had an extensive pedalboard they just didn't have the mojo I was looking for and was in my hearing memory.

QAPLA!