Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2020, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Slate or Plug in alliance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Saddly i don't have HDX so i can't use the GML 8200.
PA came out with the Amek 200 recently which is as good a shot at a GML8200 as anything I've heard. I also like Sonnex but do not have the GML option.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:17 PM

I really don't feel anything special on slate plugins, except VCC that I do love. The eq's and comp are ok... PA makes some great plugins. I would go that route!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 11-26-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Hi janne i tend use Type 1 ( default ) when first opening the EQ but if i need a more smooth or "musical" according to the source i end up using Type 3 and sometimes 4 ( more on mastering for me this last one tho ). Saddly i don't have HDX so i can't use the GML 8200.

Because of the offline bounce and commit features, the GML option works on AAX native. You just need to have DSP license before you can buy that option, but if you have it I can confirm it will work on native

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2020, 12:11 AM

Well depends what is the sound you are after

Honestly different manufacturers sell you different color and tone because EQs and Compressors and Saturators all do the right job if you know how to use them ... the only difference is the color and tone you are looking for ....

I find slate to be way more colorful than PA plugins ... slap an FG-Stress on vocals and BAM !! or an FG-N EQ tune up the highs and you get a different color ...

PA plugins are more let's say ... Elegant ? haha excuse the word but more subtle and honestly what got me buying them was the fact a vast majority was adopted by Universal Audio using their dedicated DSP ... I've got perpetual licenses for most of PA and Slate ... with PA you get lost which tool to use so much they can offer you but let's say you always end up using specific ones back and forth .. the MAAG EQ is a stunner on vocals .. the Townhouse Compressor is a staple on the Master Bus ... the IRON Saturator is fantastic for warmth

Now if you wanna head to something really good as well try Soundtoys ... once you get to know how and when to use them ... you won't look elsewhere
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 11-27-2020, 12:14 AM

Oh and btw ... have a listen to my latest cover ... I've used the Slate Mic on the vocals let me know what you think of the production

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUgOo6zLTjI
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e

Old 11-27-2020, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
PA came out with the Amek 200 recently which is as good a shot at a GML8200 as anything I've heard. I also like Sonnex but do not have the GML option.

C
Good eq but way over priced in these times. Other than that I'm a huge PA guy; love their amp emulations.

QAPLA!
Old 11-27-2020, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becharax View Post
MAAG EQ is a stunner on vocals
... and guitars and bass, but if you have the hardware that is the real jaw dropping stunner.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:38 AM

I've got most of PA guitar emulations and Bass ... I believe you're talking about the AMPS ... the Chandler is not bad as well as the Bx Rockrack which IMO is the best around
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1

Old 11-27-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Good eq but way over priced in these times. Other than that I'm a huge PA guy; love their amp emulations.
Best is to catch PA plugs on sale. They're all pricey but I like I can get for HDX.

Never been a fan of anyones amp sim plugs. I prefer a Kemper profilers, UA OX boxes and mics on amps. But then again I have a lot of great amps. I do however understand the need for plugins.

I used to have a pair of GML 8200's and the PA plug does that really well. Seems to me a lot of folks today want EQ that adds a lot of harmonic distortion. The GML's didn't do that. They made everything sound like the source material just became better. They were so clean I didn't like them at first.

I sold them one day when I needed $$ and am happy to have a plugin version.

Regarding Slate - I happily unsubscribed from that bundle a few year ago.
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Best is to catch PA plugs on sale. They're all pricey but I like I can get for HDX.

Never been a fan of anyones amp sim plugs. I prefer a Kemper profilers, UA OX boxes and mics on amps. But then again I have a lot of great amps. I do however understand the need for plugins.

I used to have a pair of GML 8200's and the PA plug does that really well. Seems to me a lot of folks today want EQ that adds a lot of harmonic distortion. The GML's didn't do that. They made everything sound like the source material just became better. They were so clean I didn't like them at first.

I sold them one day when I needed $$ and am happy to have a plugin version.

Regarding Slate - I happily unsubscribed from that bundle a few year ago.
Problem is that $400 Amek never goes on sale. Same thing for the SSL J channel strip. And the Bettermaker EQ.

QAPLA!