Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2010, 05:55 PM

Default My Eleven Rack arrived on Friday..Stuck on Plexi Model!

Help! - I want to try out the other amps but I can't tear myself away from that damned plexi - it's soooooo good

I bought the Eleven based on features, soundclips and user reports (thanks chaps!), Without a test run I was a little anxious about exactly how it would sound in the flesh but I'm completely knocked out by it!
The design is great, it's very well thought through and easy to use. The modelling - both the amps and effects - is absolutely stellar and the feel is really there too. Nice job, Digi guys!
Old 10-31-2010, 06:14 PM

Default Re: My Eleven Rack arrived on Friday..Stuck on Plexi Model!

Congrats! :) Welcome to the wonderful world of playing guitar more than you ever have before in your life. You may want to invest in some 5 hour energy shots... LOL
Old 10-31-2010, 06:50 PM

With time and help from guys like VSA and the others here, it only gets better!!
Old 10-31-2010, 06:53 PM

VSA's video's helped me make my decision too. I play my 11r constantly. I really like the "Digi Modern". The tone is addicting!

Cheers!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 PM

Congrats Jimification!

This 11R is just too damn fun, ain't it????

Have you tried recording any tunes yet?

Peace!
Mike

Old 10-31-2010, 08:21 PM

Location: Northern tip of the gorgeous Wasatch mountain range

Stuck you say? If you get into serious trouble late at night and need to tear yourself away, you may need to try this:

1) Point your painfully puckered mug at that beautifully orange rock instigator, and get right up next to the Eleven Rack

2) Prop your foot up against the table or stand where it is perched for leverage

3) Pause (pose?) while you pull out your favorite rock riff!!

4) There really is no fourth step-you have arrived

Congratulations!
Old 10-31-2010, 08:53 PM

The Plexi model in indeed sweet :)

I find myself using the DC modern a lot more and the JCM800 a lot less

One of the most important things that I'm only just beginning to realize is the interaction between the gain and the master knob. Even when I had a real amp, the master was more of a volume control than something I used to fine-tune my tone (due to volume constraints). In that respect, most of my real world knowledge of tone is centered around preamp distortion. With the 11R I find that crucial to the tone is setting the right mix between preamp and poweramp distortion. You can dial in the right mix of "roar" or "zing" on high gain, and girth/depth for clean and pushed clean tones.

HOURS of fun, and most of it spent playing, not tweaking :)
Old 11-01-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqlw View Post
hours of fun, and most of it spent playing, not tweaking :)

amen!

Old 11-01-2010, 06:59 AM

Thanks guys :)

VSA: Thanks yes, I'm down on my sleep already :)

crhfish: Yup, there's some very helpful people on this and the presets forum. 'tis a very cool resource and quite heart warming to see.

DARFRitz: Aye, VSA's vids were a big help. I havn't tried the digimodern yet. Will give that a go tonight.

mikefont: Totally agreed, I was very surprised to find that the master volume actually works like a real power amp volume (so adding PA distortion when cranked) rather than just adding volume...that is sweet! Havn't got to any recording yet (PC is borked atm) can't wait to get into some recording though, the Eleven is inspiring me with lots of ideas :)

59Tweed: Indeed! Steve Harris impressions all round

adamqlw: That's just what I was hoping for...Less tweaking and more playing! Last night, I had a go at dialing in one of my favourite guitar amp tones: the solo from Steve Steven's "Small Arms Fire". I was pretty shocked that, as an 11R noob, I got something reasonably close (to my ears anyway) within a couple of minutes on the 11R....that's just nuts!!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:29 AM

Let me add one more tidbit for everyone. I had a very old full size keyboard that was my daughters when she was learning to play piano. Just happened to have midi inputs on it. I hooked it up to the 11R this weekend and I now have a full blown synthesizer with the PT 8 software that came with the unit. I was quite surprised at how good this thing is and now I'm wasting time making cosmic storm sounds and whatnot. There is more here than just the guitar amps and effects. The drum software is pretty good also.