Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-19-2012, 11:59 AM

Angry 003 Console doesn't respond to ProTools LE since Upgrade to V-9.0.6

003 Console doesn't respond to ProTools LE since Upgrade to V-9.0.6.
Was working fine prior to update. Why is there always an issue with the 003 every time I upgrade PT? Doesn't Avid MAKE the 003?! Can't they account for whatever is the issue?
Windows 7 ultimate, 64 bit. 8gb Ram. i7 processor on a gigabyte UD motherboard. Firewire connection.
Says "Offline" when protools is closed. 003 display blank after launch, no dialogues, doesn't do anything when I launch prior sessions that were working just before the upgrade. 9.0.6 "Upgrade" is the only change I've made to my system, which is dedicated to PT and always has been.
Tried re-installing the 003 console drivers, which said they were ready to use. If I unplug the firewire, I get the pop-up that it has been disconnected and to plug it back in and press OK. Still nothing. WTF?

PS: Interestingly, could not get computer audio to play through 003, only PT audio, prior to upgrade. I now have computer (WMP) audio, but no protools control. Will play back sessions from PT if launched by mouse, but board might as well be a brick sitting on my desk for all the use I have of it. I didn't spend money for the 003 to have to use a mouse.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:29 PM

Default Re: 003 Console doesn't respond to ProTools LE since Upgrade to V-9.0.6

You have to go into the Avid site under support and search for the 003 driver. Avid is pouting that it's software had to be separated from hardware (due to customer demand) so they don't include the driver with PT9.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=379411
Old 01-19-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post
You have to go into the Avid site under support and search for the 003 driver. Avid is pouting that it's software had to be separated from hardware (due to customer demand) so they don't include the driver with PT9.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=379411
Already updated the drivers from the website as you mentioned. As for your second suggestion, I have no idea what you are talking about... I'm a musician Jim... not an engineer! Avid can pout all they want while they deposit our money in their bank account. It's their brand... they have a duty to make sure their expensive equipment works with their expensive software. I may have to move back to Sonar... I never had a problem with them, their software was intuitive for the non-engineer, (I've done lots of analog recording on several CD's over the past 40 years... I rarely needed to reference a manual for commonplace actions until I got convinced to switch to ProTools!) and I was able to spend my time making music, not trying to figure out what some programmer thought was a good idea but doesn't work in real life... Aargh! I'll look at the article you linked to, but I had planned on recording this week and have people coming over this evening to work... Instead, I (once again) have to figure out how to do Avid's Job for them. I'm pretty disgusted with this software.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:55 PM

(the link you gave was where I got the drivers from that I installed already, BTW.)
Old 01-19-2012, 12:55 PM

How are you plugging the 003 in? Does your PC have a built-in Firewire connector or so you have a PCI card installed?
long.island.mac.tech@gmail.com
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:31 PM

I have onboard firewire in my custom built PC (I'm a computer tech and I built the machine specifically for ProTool's specs) and I've been using it for over 2 years now. The only time I have major problems is whenever I upgrade PT, which pretty much always screws up the connection with the 003, ater which I have to search for reasons for it not working. I had just finished a session and closed PT, then recieved the notification that there was an upgrade from 9.0.2-9.0.6, so I ran it... voila'! No 003... once again! It's not the 003 or the connection. The upgrade broke the setup and I can't get it back so far. I'm coming to expect this will happen any time I make any upgrade to PTLE.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:16 PM

Does anyone from AVID monitor this forum? I have no intention of paying them to talk me through fixing an issue that their upgrade clearly caused. Just wondering, as I'm not getting a lot of response from other users (Thanks to the two of you who offered advice!) and I need to get this fixed...
Old 01-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Avid

Question Re: 003 Console doesn't respond to ProTools LE since Upgrade to V-9.0.6

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Have you been through the basic troubleshooting, trashing prefs, etc?

What options do you have in the Playback Engine window if you hold down the N key when launching PT (as soon as you see the splash screen)? kb381749
Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 AM

003 working perfectly here. After trying 9.0.6, I went back to 9 as it just works better. Now for the bad(maybe) news. If you unpatch and repatch the firewire cable with everything powered ON, its very possible that you can fry the firewire port in the 003(been there, done that, paid $325 for the repair, didn't get a T-shirt). One thing you might try(okay....2 things) test the 003 on another system, and try changing the firewire driver in Device Manager. Avid recommends the Legacy driver, but that never works for me(but the TI compliant driver does).

Soap box time....did you think to do a backup before installing the update? Drive Imaging is something that everybody here needs to know about and use

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-20-2012, 01:14 PM

I image my machine regularly. Avid has responded, finally, asking if I trashed Prefs and did other things that I am, apparently, supposed to know to do instinctively, and without them adding a simple component to their Readme file stating "this upgrade may screw up your system setup and here's what you need to do to retrieve the functionaliity you had before the upgrade."
I'm about to try and figure out what they alluded to and see if I can get back to making music instead of computer repair!