Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Newbie Question about Aux, Sends, & Busses

Hi am not really new 2 this but would really like to know what do you use Aux, Sends, and Busses for and how to use them. Thanks in advance to anyone that can explain to me and help me.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Newbie Question about Aux, Sends, & Busses

You can use an auxiliary track to set things like a Click plugin, or say a reverb.

Then you would use a SEND to ahem, send the signal to that AUX so that multple tracks can take advantage of that reverb you created there.

Buses are internal conduits that you can use to route signals from one place to the other. So you could use say Bus 3 to SEND the signal to the AUX track that has that reverb.

Capische? Not that I'm an audio expert, I'm learning too. Hope it helps,

Old 10-07-2005, 06:29 PM

This is how i've been using it and its works well.

BUSS:

Buss’s are used with AUX and SENDS… they are internal routings for sending sound outputs to different areas.

SENDS:

Sends are used when you want to mix a certain effect along with the clean/dry track.

AUX:

Besides just settings Click track onto an AUX so it doesn't take up the space of a voice track you can do some really cool things. You can group mixes to have there own "master" group fader or set certain effects on them to mix in with your session.

Ex-grouping:

Say have 8 drum tracks mixed how you want. Instead of them having an output to analog 1-2, which is your main mix, you output them to Buss 1-2. Then setup a stereo AUX with the input of Buss 1-2 and an output of analog 1-2. Now instead of your drums going straight to the main mix it goes to the AUX fader first. Why do this? To create a “master mix” fader for your drums and put “master effects” on them before they get to the main mix fader.

Ex-effect:

Reverb AUX’s and effect AUX’s are a different story… these will go hand and hand with your sends. When you put a SEND on a track it has its own level to its self. So for instance you’ll have vocal tracks and you want reverb. You’ll make an AUX either mono or stereo depending on what you want (I do stereo for mine). Now add your preferred reverb effect (D-verb is just fine) to the AUX. Setup your reverb however you want. Set your AUX with an input to receive your SENDS output. Now the output of your SEND controls the amount of signal getting *Sent* to the AUX. Also, you will now have a master fader for the reverb on all of those vocal tracks.

The difference between the groupings and effect AUX’s is that groupings AUX’s receive and output ALL of the signal where effect AUX’s receive the amount given and output the effect along with the original track.

More advanced use of AUX’s would be in the case of using something like Auto-Tune. In these case’s you will record your track, set the output of the track to a Buss, Make an AUX to receive that Buss, then make the output of that AUX go to another track to record.

I hope this all helps you and I hope its clear... if you have any questions I’ll reply. And I’m sure some of the big guys around here will reply soon as well.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:31 PM

Thanx to you both that have replied I think I sort of understand. I'ma give it a test run 2 night n see how it comes out. I am not really the one for reading though, I think I can understand better if I was to get a visual but I don't see that happening. I guess I will get that once I go to school. But if ya can just elaborate more or give me more of a better scenerio with a step by step approach. If not still thanx.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:51 PM

if you can get access to an analogue console you will be able to understand it easier. in a way it forces you to use it properly and learn sends and bussing, DAWs can be to flexible
Old 10-07-2005, 07:56 PM

Right... I have a vintage analoge board for my pre-amps and initial mixing(16 drums tracks to 8 for PTLE)... I know my way around...

Just think of the AUX, Buss and Send as a way to route the sounds to different areas.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:28 PM

Here is a very basic visual representation

Pro Tools LE, I feel I should recommend the Pro Tools Visual Quick Start book. It's a good book, has lots of visual representations, and it really might help you. Maybe some other books about basic recording and signal flow as well, like Modern Recording Techniques by David MIles Huber. Very helpful information and a step in the right direction.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-09-2005, 12:40 PM

Thanks everyone I appreciate the help. New Digi 003's for everyone!!!!!!!!