How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2016, 08:40 AM

Default Advice about going from PT 12 to PT HDX

Hello everyone,

Sorry if I use some terminology incorrectly....

I'm using Pro Tools 12.5 and i'm thinking about going to HD or HDX.

I'm using a MacBook Pro, I'd like to go native to have more channels, surround and more processing power.

I don't want to buy a new audio interface, I have an RME UFX and I'm pretty happy with it, but i see my computer has not enough power to work with really large projects.

I think I need a DSP external processor, but I'm not sure.

What would you guys recommend ???

Thank you in advance
Old 09-04-2016, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Advice about going from PT 12 to PT HDX

HD is currently only sold as a part of a system with a card or TB box and an interface.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c554--Pro_...D_Core_Systems

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Advice about going from PT 12 to PT HDX

Generally if people need HDX they *really* know it and will have experience using HDX or HD/TDM etc.

For many users the most flexible way to "add more processing power" is to upgrade their computer, optimize things better or modify their workflow. Easy to use/low latency cue mix, or just huge amounts of Pro Tools IO are where HDX really shines.

About the only reason to use HDN hardware is to get more than 32 physical inputs or outputs with Pro Tools. And obviously HDN or HDX can be attractive for legacy users with lots of digilink interface hardware.

What exact Mac are you on now,with what CPU and memory specs? What sample rates and io buffer size are you running at? What kind of sessions? What exact errors/problems are you having? Are you tracking music? Mixing for TV or film? What exactly?

Track freeze and commit is not helping you?

The RME UFX is not a digilink interface so you cannot use it directly with HDN or HDX hardware. You need at least one Digilink box connected to HDN or NDX for Pro Tools HD to work with them.

You get surround with Pro Tools HD software independent of hardware. You cannot just upgrade to HD software, or buy it outside of a hardware bundle from Avid. There are some sellers who will sell it unbundled, be careful you know what you are doing.

What plugins are you using that consume lots of CPU? DSP processing will not help sample based VIs at all.

HDX only helps if there are AAX-DSP plugins available that you can use. You need to go check that out.

What is your budget? Very rough minimum numbers to get into HDN is around $5k, to get into HDX is around $10k, easily more if you need lots of physical IO. For HDX you need a Thunderbolt to PCIe adapter chassis to use with a MacBook Pro, all frequenlty a hassle unless you really need it.