Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 06-19-2019, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Increase in PT performance going from 32GB RAM to 64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
if you still have say audio or samples on external HDD, then looking at moving those to a larger internal SSD (or thunderbolt SSD) may speed things up
Since most of my writing is done with sample-based VIs, I have my drives primed and churning well (yes, all are SSDs at this point).

There's not a whole lot left to do to this machine and its peripherals, which, as someone who enjoys tweaking, is just slightly deflating. But I also enjoy saving money, and I've just saved $200 (not to mention the many thousands but not needing a new cheesegrater 2.0 MacPro).
Old 06-19-2019, 01:40 PM

I'm still confused. 51 cheesegrater. I have a metal comparable graphics card. 2 actually. R9 280x. And a rx 580 pulse. High Sierra.

Can I just stick in a pcie nvme drive? Or not? I don't need it to boot. Want to use as record volumes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2019, 01:57 PM

What I read, cheesegraters WILL NOT BOOT without hacking but will still recognise NVMe sticks. If you need it to boot you need to hack or upgrade to Mojave
Old 06-19-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I'm still confused. 51 cheesegrater. I have a metal comparable graphics card. 2 actually. R9 280x. And a rx 580 pulse. High Sierra.

Can I just stick in a pcie nvme drive? Or not? I don't need it to boot. Want to use as record volumes.

Non-boot support has been there for a while. Lots of resources online about NVMe support on cheesegraters can help you.

But given 2019.5 and improved NVMe support on Mojave... I would be heading there.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Non-boot support has been there for a while. Lots of resources online about NVMe support on cheesegraters can help you.

But given 2019.5 and improved NVMe support on Mojave... I would be heading there.
Ok great. Thanks. Just wanted to know the basic parameters before I start googling and ordering stuff.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No worries. I'm fairly sure the speed is 4x PCIe 2.0 but if you can help me I haven't found a definite answer what is the largest stick you can put in this box. Currently have 2TB working nicely but was wondering if I could later on swap to larger capacity -- because in real world the speed difference between less than a gig or a full gig or slightly more than a gig is close to zero, only thing that is really interesting would be capacity
Oh sure, and I would stuff storage inside just to avoid extra external connections.

I would pay attention to any trash cans that have the smaller 256GB? SSDs that are only 2 x PCIe 2 lanes not 4 x PCIe 2 lanes. Upgrading to get a bit more capacity *and* performance is a good thing.

The largest replacement SSDs I have noticed for the trash can is 4TB. Including one that OWC used to sell but is no longer available, their replacement generation goes up to 2TB https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/mac-pro/2013.

A good source of info is https://beetstech.com/blog/apple-pro...pgrades#hdr-15.

It’s embarrassing how bad Apple did with the trash can design. Hanging the SSD off the Intel IO Hub so it is only PCIe 2. Only having one internal SSD slot, closed expansion, weak GPUs, only Thunderbolt 2...so cannot use drives like the Samsung X5 or Sonnet Fusion Thunderbolt 3.

With Mojave especially it’s now extra embarrassing that folks can stuff multiple M.2 NVMe SSDs on PCIe slot adapter cards into a Cheesegrate. Yes they are all PCIe 2 as well. But you get multiple cards at 4 x PCIe 2, if slots are free...
Old 06-20-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
If you already have your disk cache configured large enough to fully cache your sessions and are not seeing issues when running VIs and not getting other errors it is not likely to make any difference (except taking longer to POST ).

Extra memory won't really hurt... but what else can you spend that money on, I'd sure be looking at installing PCIe/NVMe boot/system drives on older Mac Pros for example (requires Mojave/recent Boot ROM image). I think you have a Mac Pro Cheesegrater right?

Extra memory can also help if you dont have DRAM DIMMs spread across the memory channels already. But again, if you are not seeing errors today, you likely wont' notice a real world difference.
I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with 96 gigs of RAM. I have my cash set to 32 gigs so I load the entire sound post project into the RAM and still have 64 gig of RAM for whatever else the computer needs to do. So...even after reading the entire project from RAM I still get: "Could not get from drive fast enough' errors. My video is reading from an internal SSD and the audio is reading from the RAM but it resides in an external LaCie USB 3. So...somehow, Pro Tools still gives this error when it is not even reading fort the drive!
Old 06-20-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
What I read, cheesegraters WILL NOT BOOT without hacking but will still recognise NVMe sticks. If you need it to boot you need to hack or upgrade to Mojave
I thought I clarified this for those who dont understand already in my previous post in this thread (#23 link here http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2530067&postcount=23)
to clarify further, I meant I was BOOTING with a 970EVO for a year now with High Sierra. I just recently made the upgrade to Mojave when PT 2019.5 was released. You can boot with certain NVMe drives on Sierra even! (which is why I mentioned the different sector types)

JFreak, you are spreading misinformation, please stop this!

everyone just read up on these two threads at macrumors to get the info straight from the horses mouth

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-ahci.2146725/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ading.2132317/

OSX 10.13.6 - Pro Tools 2018.12 - Presonus Studio 192 / Digi 003 Rack+
Focusrite Clarett OctoPre - AKG HPE6 - DBX160A - WA76
Old 06-20-2019, 09:38 AM

That's what I meant for "from what I read" -- my MP is a trashcan and it has had 100% success with NVMe drives since High Sierra. Everything I post regarding cheesegraters are someone else's experience. Fun to do research though, but as said, cannot confirm so let's just agree I shut up
Old 06-20-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzo View Post
I thought I clarified this for those who dont understand already in my previous post in this thread (#23 link here http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2530067&postcount=23)

to clarify further, I meant I was BOOTING with a 970EVO for a year now with High Sierra. I just recently made the upgrade to Mojave when PT 2019.5 was released. You can boot with certain NVMe drives on Sierra even! (which is why I mentioned the different sector types)

JFreak, you are spreading misinformation, please stop this!

everyone just read up on these two threads at macrumors to get the info straight from the horses mouth

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-ahci.2146725/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ading.2132317/
What is the advantage of booting from nvme? I am on a regular ssd on pcie card for boot