Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 10:19 AM

Default working cross platform in HD, LE, and Free?

Hey Hey!

I'm working primarily in an HD studio (Mac).
Two of the band members are working at home on (Mac) LE systems to do basic editing.

So far this has worked well. We spend a day tracking in HD, take the files home on Firewire drives, and then edit the various takes in LE. When we come back to HD, everything is fine.
(of course we have to switch playback engines and some sends are unavailable in LE, etc.)

Now, a third band member also would like to edit his guitar tracks at home, but he's using PT Free on a windows machine. The goal would be simply to listen to takes, remove some takes from the session (noting for the rest of us which he'd removed so we could also), create new tracks for primary parts; secondary parts; etc., and to create playlists within the tracks for the different takes. (I would give him session files with a stereo mix of drums, bass, etc. so he could still have 6 tracks to work with. He would then send me his session files, and I would "Import Session Data" into our main (HD or LE) sessions from his Free session.)

So can anyone tell me if...

1) Is this just plain impossible for him to open a Mac LE session on his PC with Free?
2) Is it going to be impossible for me to "import session data" from his Free session?
3) We've been working 24 bit/ 44.1k, is this a problem for Free?
4) Are there any other considerations I'm not thinking of?

Thanks so much.

Archmart
Old 06-23-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Re: working cross platform in HD, LE, and Free?

the only things are:
pro tools free supports only up to eight tracks
make sure mac pc compatibility is enforced

hope this helps
ev
Old 06-23-2004, 09:31 PM

PTF does not have Mac PC compatibility.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:18 PM

if you want to do it the "hardcore" way then, you can take the audio files and just import them from PTF into PTLE or HD.

or buy an Mbox, seriously...