Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2019, 04:54 AM

Default Restoring tracks - what's going on?

I'm putting this here as it's happened across PT 11.3.1, 11.3.2 and 2019.6.

When I open sessions I'll see message on the screen that PT is restoring tracks and usually no big deal. Every so often it'll happen where it takes a real long time to restore a track or tracks but it always restores and the session plays just fine.

It's happened on my old iMac system and my current setup with the 2012 cheesegrater. Different cpus (3.4 GHz quad core i7 in the iMac and 3.46 GHz hex core in the cheesegrater). Plenty of ram in both machines. Happens whether the session is on the system drive or separate drive the latter being my usual way of working when not troubleshooting. Big sessions aren't always an issue as I've had 90+ track sessions with mixed audio and unrendered vi's load up quickly but smaller less than 20 track session take enough time I can go make a cup of Earl Grey.

I can close a session that takes a long time to restore it's tracks, quit PT, reopen that same session right away and it still takes a long time to restore tracks. Nothing spectacular in the way of plugins; mostly compression on busses and reverb on an aux with sends to said aux.

So you can see there's nothing much in common except for PT and even then it happens across different versions. Daw not online and no wireless going on. Drives don't sleep nor does the machine.

The question becomes: what is going on when PT is restoring tracks? Is this happening for others? Or is it another one of those 'nature of the beast' things

QAPLA!
Old 10-01-2019, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Restoring tracks - what's going on?

What happens when opening the session with all plugins disabled?

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 10-02-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
What happens when opening the session with all plugins disabled?
Doesn't matter. Still takes it's sweet old time and sometimes it happens on sessions with only two plugins that are active. I tend to not use a lot of plugins in my work once everything is audio.

So no one really knows what's happening when PT is restoring tracks when opening a session? Restoring what? In some operating systems you can engage verbose mode when a system is booting so you can see what's going on and then you see all the gory details. I want to know the same about this so I have some idea of why sometimes it takes a lot longer than I think it should to re-open a session on the same computer & setup.

QAPLA!
Old 10-02-2019, 03:22 PM

I think it might have to do with the graphic memory file for the waveforms. if i have a session that loads slowly first i see how many session save files there are(sometimes one is corrupt so i will delete any i dont need) then i delete the file that has the waveform memory and that usually works. IDK for sure what's going on under the hood either so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
I think it might have to do with the graphic memory file for the waveforms. if i have a session that loads slowly first i see how many session save files there are(sometimes one is corrupt so i will delete any i dont need) then i delete the file that has the waveform memory and that usually works. IDK for sure what's going on under the hood either so take it with a grain of salt.
It's weird as I've had sessions with 30 or so tracks and about a dozen plugins sprinkled about the session load quickly but smaller 10 track sessions with only two plugins take a long time (quadruple the previous session) to restore tracks. Max session length of 5 minutes in both cases.

QAPLA!