Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 11-14-2014, 11:48 AM

Default UAD Apollo Twin Solo Interface & Pro Tools

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying an Apollo Twin Solo interface to use with Pro Tools 10 and 11 (the old MBox2 is dying...). Can I continue to use the all the VST and AAX plugins I already have or do I have to switch to using the UAD plugins that come bundled with the Apollo?

Thanks,

bb
Old 11-14-2014, 11:56 AM

Default Re: UAD Apollo Twin Solo Interface & Pro Tools

Hey

You can use the same plugins as you do use today in PT11/10.

The UA plugins runs as any other plugin you have but uses the interface DSP power instead of the computers CPU. So to be clear you can keep using the same plugins you use now and if and when you want to get a few UA plugins they will work in PT as your other plugins do.

Best of Luck (UA interfaces are super sweet)

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Many thanks, much appreciated!

best,
bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hey

You can use the same plugins as you do use today in PT11/10.

The UA plugins runs as any other plugin you have but uses the interface DSP power instead of the computers CPU. So to be clear you can keep using the same plugins you use now and if and when you want to get a few UA plugins they will work in PT as your other plugins do.

Best of Luck (UA interfaces are super sweet)
Old 11-15-2014, 07:43 AM

Some one over in the Gearslutz forum just told me that the Apollo Twin Solo isn't powerful enough for mixing. First I've heard this. Any comments/thoughts on this? I need to record and mix obviously so I don't want to invest in something that won't be up to the task.
Thanks,

bb
Old 11-15-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briaboy View Post
Some one over in the Gearslutz forum just told me that the Apollo Twin Solo isn't powerful enough for mixing. First I've heard this. Any comments/thoughts on this? I need to record and mix obviously so I don't want to invest in something that won't be up to the task.
Thanks,

bb
Hi

The interface had Nothing to do with how powerful it is for mixing. The computers power (CPU RAM) is what determines how complex the mixes can be and NOT the interface. That person doesn"t know what they are talking about

The interface you are interested in will most definately be enough and what you need to look at is how many in and outs you need and if you are gonna use lots of UA plugins, that can be the roadblock as you would need a quad interface from UA if you wanna use lots of UA plugins.

as far as how many plugins you have that are not UA too use in a mix is not at all dictated by any interface so :

If you are going to use lots of UA plugins you might consider the twin duo interface as it has a little more horsepower for,plugins but the exact same sound quality as the larger interfaces, and if you are gonna use 12-15 instances of UA plugins and the rest your other plugins you will be all good.

UA has a comparison chart on how much DSP each of their plugins use from the interface so check that out before making the purchase as it varies quite a lot from interface to interface.

And just to be clear : the interface in this case has nothing to do with how big your mixes can be, that is ONLY dictated by your computer power and RAM aswell as having the correct requirements with Hard drives etc.

Please read up on UA website yourself instead of listening to people who haven't got a clue of what they are talking about so you yourself have all the info you need to make the right decisions going forward

Here is the chart of how many instances of plugins ypu can use on each of the UA interfaces:

http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/co...nce-chart.html

Best of Luck
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-15-2014, 09:00 AM

A voice of reason! Thanks Christopher, I'll take your advice on this, very much appreciated,

best,
Brian

Quote:
Hi

The interface had Nothing to do with how powerful it is for mixing. The computers power (CPU RAM) is what determines how complex the mixes can be and NOT the interface. That person doesn"t know what they are talking about

The interface you are interested in will most definately be enough and what you need to look at is how many in and outs you need and if you are gonna use lots of UA plugins, that can be the roadblock as you would need a quad interface from UA if you wanna use lots of UA plugins.

as far as how many plugins you have that are not UA too use in a mix is not at all dictated by any interface so :

If you are going to use lots of UA plugins you might consider the twin duo interface as it has a little more horsepower for,plugins but the exact same sound quality as the larger interfaces, and if you are gonna use 12-15 instances of UA plugins and the rest your other plugins you will be all good.

UA has a comparison chart on how much DSP each of their plugins use from the interface so check that out before making the purchase as it varies quite a lot from interface to interface.

And just to be clear : the interface in this case has nothing to do with how big your mixes can be, that is ONLY dictated by your computer power and RAM aswell as having the correct requirements with Hard drives etc.

Please read up on UA website yourself instead of listening to people who haven't got a clue of what they are talking about so you yourself have all the info you need to make the right decisions going forward

Here is the chart of how many instances of plugins ypu can use on each of the UA interfaces:

Best of Luck
Christopher
Old 11-16-2014, 03:17 PM

Love to hear about how other people's experience has been in PT 10 and 11 using Apollo Twin as main interface and also using for DSP?

Anyone with an HDX system try using it and compare with their I/O or other AVID hardware? Seriously considering dumping my HDX rig and moving to plain old PT 11 + Apollo Twin. Don't need the track counts anymore and barely have any plugins that take advantage of AAX DSP on HDX card...whats the point?

Mobile: MBP Retina 2.6 HGz Intel Core i7 w 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 running macOS Catalina (10.15.7) w/ Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.12

Studio: Mac Pro 2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon w 16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM running OS X 10.8.5 using Pro Tools v10.3.9 & v11.3.2 HDX w/ AVID HD I/O
Old 11-16-2014, 04:02 PM

Hi

If you have a good computer and use the Apollo Twin you can do some pretty great stuff. Although the UA interfaces doesn't run anyhting other than UA plugins and they are quite expensive (but well worth it) you can't really compare to a HDX system since the HDX is a whole other animal.

But if you want to downsize your studio and maintain a good sound quality i think a UA interface is a superb option. We have Apollo Quad and Apollo 16 and never run out of power when we have big VI and plugin heavy sessions but as some UA plugins take up a lot of the Shark Processors in the Apollo Quad we have just bought another UA Satelite Quad for that so now we can run as many UA plugins we need and have a super stable system

I haven't tried the new UA Twin or Solo but they can run quite a few UA plugins according to the chart so if you aren't going to run huge 75+ tracks with UA plugins the Twin will be a nice choice. It also has the Unison feature so you can use atleast 3 of UA plugins with preamps recording in real time with basically no audible latency and that is sweeeet!!

As you can only run UA plugins on their interfaces it's hard comparing to HDX ut sound wise I doubt anyone will hear a big difference if recorded correctly and with good mics and acoustic instruments

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-16-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Hi

Best of Luck
Christopher
Even with the most powerful card they make, that is very un impressive if a person were to be relying only on UAD plug-ins.

To me it looks like the new waves DSP-based system, it's much more impressive.

TDM systems are still way cheaper, and more bang for the buck if recording through plug-ins is important to anybody out there.

Although I have to admit, I read a recent post here on the DUC, that has me fairly excited about Protools HDN, In A way I've never been before. Assuming, every thing that I heard was accurate. I did ask to give an example of the same MIX, at 44.1, to see if it would be as efficient, but still not heard anything back as of yet.

UAD is massively compelling if you just need to track through plug-ins, but not need to mix through them.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-16-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Hi

Best of Luck
Christopher
I think what they were talking about over gear sluts, was the ability to do all of your plug-ins on an entire Mix strictly using the UAD plugins with the UAD solo.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp