Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-28-2002, 06:14 PM

Default Ye old DX7 banks

Greetings,
This is kinda off topic but... I just purchased an old Yamaha DX7 for 40 bucks! I've wanted one of these since I was in seventh grade! I want to incorperate it with my digi setup no problem there. However it did not come with the factory cartridges. I downloaded the factory banks along with tons of custom banks from the web so I can load them via sysex dump using Soundlib. However I am only able to load the first 12 or 13 patches before the DX7 locks up. I don't get a "MIDI recieved" confirmation and I have to reboot the synth to get it to respond.

My system:
Win98Sse
Asus a7m
1.4 ghz athlon t-bird
512mb ram
40Gb 7200 rpm system drive
40Gb 7200 rpm audio drive
Digi001
midiman usb2x2

Any one with some DX experience Please shine some light on my problem. Thanks in advance.
peace,
ghoti
Old 02-28-2002, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Ye old DX7 banks

ghoti,
I have a DX-7. It's nice to know that there's at least one more out there. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I found a free library manager (not on my current system, so I'll have to look around to figure out where I got it) that worked outside of PTLE. I was able last year to upload and download banks.

Keep working on it!

Cheers,
Mark
Old 03-01-2002, 02:30 AM

I have about 10 zillion DX7 banks stored as Steinberg Cubase Studio Module files. I would love to convert them to sysex data so that my new FM7 instrument (wow and double wow) can load them in.

If in your searches you come up with any conversion utilities I'd be very grateful. At the moment the only way I can think of doing this is to download to the TX7 I have, then re-load back into the PC as sysex, very very time consuming and since I don't think half the banks would be worth saving, and in any case probably contain many duplicate patches...

Of course I'd be happy to send you these banks if you want. Let me know.

Simon
Old 03-01-2002, 07:59 AM

Simon,
I found about 10 Zillion DX7 banks online. I think they were already in sysex format. (I'm not strong in this area, so don't quote me!)

I can tell you that if even 1% of what I found was worth saving, I couldn't find them. Most of it was junk.

Some of it is available in the file section of the Yahoo DX USers group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YamahaDX/

Another good DX7 resource is here:

ftp://byrd.math.uga.edu/pub/html/dx7.html

He's got manuals and lots of links to go to.

One DX7 bummer happened to me. My DAW died a couple of months ago, and at the time I had a weird bank left in my DX-7 that I was auditioning. I forgot about this when I cleaned the disk off while installing a new MB. Right now the DX is essentially unusable until I go find and load up all this software again! My lesson - Keep all your stuff handy! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

(Wish I had been using Norton Ghost in those days...)

Mark
Old 03-02-2002, 01:46 AM

$40 bucks huh? I have an old DX7 but I haven't loaded any banks into it in over ten years. In fact, my copy of Soundlib is stored on a 5 1/4" floppy.

You guys got me motivated to dust it off and see what's stored in it.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:49 PM

Howdy,
Thanks for the responses. I have found a workaround. I just load 1 sound at a time and save it to the bank I want, slow but it works. I still don't know what the problem is but I'm just glad to be able to use the thing.
Simon,
Mark is right there are a million and 2 souns in sysex format online that I have found from a simple google search including all of the original factory presets. It'll take a long time to sort them out and find all the usefull ones. Soundlib will let me catagorize them all and load them into my synth.

for software: http://www.thedx7.co.uk/2nd%20page_Q.html

for patches: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...3/dx7_tx7.html

I thougt that 40 bucks was a steal. I checked ebay and they go from $100 to $400 in various states of decay. I don't know if I'm just getting old or what but the nostalgia factor is great. I remember every music video in the 80's seemed to have a DX7 in it. I've always wanted one.

Thanks again, peace,

ghoti www.geocities.com/makerecords