Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 05-20-2012, 07:28 AM

Default .m4a file from iphone drops a whole key and slower tempo on import

Hi
I frequently sing a song idea into my iphone's default recording app while driving, or sitting on the couch playing guitar, etc, just so I can get it down before I forget. I usually don't do anything with them directly, but then I was thinking, what if I lost my phone before I developed the idea further, I decided to email them from my phone to my Mac and use the import feature (or the drag/drop) to create a track in Pro Tools (10.x). The weird thing is when I do this, it plays about a whole step lower in pitch and slower in tempo, like I'm dragging my finger on the edge of a turntable and slowing a record down.

The iPhone stores the audio as a .m4a file, 64 bit, 44.1 kHz sampling rate, and if I just double click it when I get it on my Mac and let iTunes opens it sounds as perfect as my voice can, but when I bring that file into pro tools, I get this horrible sounding slow motion thing.

Any ideas? I have made sure my track is sample based, not tics, and I have turned off all elastic audio on that track.

Thank you
Fred
Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 PM

Default Re: .m4a file from iphone drops a whole key and slower tempo on import

One possibility is that PT thinks it's a 48 kHz file (for what reason, I don't know) and is importing it into a 44.1 kHz session without resampling. Another possibility is that your Pro Tools interface isn't clocked right. Could it be that you're importing the file into a 48 kHz session with resampling, and that the interface is locked to an external 44.1 kHz clock?

Nyquist was right.

PT 2019.10 Ultimate | Omni | macOS Sierra
PT 2019.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10
Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 AM

Thanks, I think you're about it being clock related. However I found a simple work around. Just synch the phone with iTunes and the recordings come in. You have to set this up in iTunes first to synch Voice Memos but they come in and play back just fine!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 AM

Have you tried just dragging the file into your regions bin from the origin folder?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 PM

Jason I would have liked to have tried that, but voice recordings on an iPhone are not discoverable from my pc or Mac. The trick was how to get them into the Mac from the phone just to safeguard them. I wasn't trying to get them into Protools they're just rough ideas. But thank you !!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmant View Post
Jason I would have liked to have tried that, but voice recordings on an iPhone are not discoverable from my pc or Mac. The trick was how to get them into the Mac from the phone just to safeguard them. I wasn't trying to get them into Protools they're just rough ideas. But thank you !!
They should be when you sync them and the. Find them in iTunes
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:50 AM

Or if you don't want to have to launch iTunes and wait for it to read your phone every time you have files to transfer (which is pretty frustrating!), there are a few audio recording apps that can see things like Dropbox, Soundcloud, and ftp over wifi. They're all $10 or under - quite a bargain for what you get. Or for that matter, you could just record straight into the free Soundcloud app, and then the ideas will be almost instantly available to hear on any internet-connected device. I'm not fond of the sound of Soundcloud's encoding algorithm, but as long as it's only for reference, it should work great. You might find that you have to delete old ideas from time to time to avoid paying.

Nyquist was right.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
They should be when you sync them and the. Find them in iTunes
They do appear this way. That was my solution as you suggested

I don't trust iCloud. Too confusing and unreliable or it was when it came out.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 11:23 AM

Not iCloud. Soundcloud. It's a net-based way to share music. It can be used to share with anyone, or securely only with yourself, or particular people you choose. I use it regularly to give songwriters an idea of how I'm producing their tracks so they can give me feedback. It could easily be used to record an idea on your phone (with the free soundcloud app) and be able to hear it on your computer a couple minutes later without having to transfer anything.

Nyquist was right.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:48 PM

Thanks daeron I will download it!