Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 AM

Default clocking an older Digimax and 2 Eureka's

Hello, Ive been reading some of these threads on clocking and it got me wondering. I have a Digimax, i think one of the original ones, the full blown version with word clock in and out, I also have 2 Eureka's with the digital card. I use the SPDIF from the Eureka's and the ADAT from the Digimax, when I have the Digimax on I set pro tools clock source to optical, sometimes I don't use the Digimax but do use the Eureka's, then I set it to SPDIF.

Here's my question, should i have the Digimax and Eureka's hooked up together through the word clock??, they both have word clock in and outs.
If I should do this, which one should be the master and how do I make sure I did it right?

Would this make my sound better??

Heck I didn't even know what kind of cables to use....I googled it myself don't need help there

Thanks for your input and knowledge, Scott

www.theranchrecordingstudio.com
Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 AM

Default Re: clocking an older Digimax and 2 Eureka's

Have you had these for awhile or just get them? Do you have problems with it?
blyons@gcpro.com
www.theaudioprofessional.com
Old 03-04-2010, 09:25 AM

Word clock cables are available from most GC stores or any pro audio dealer. I would run Wordclock out from the Digimax and daisy-chain to the Eureka preamps and leave Pro Tools set to clock to ADAT. That should keep everything in line. It won't affect the sound quality, but it should prevent any clicks and pops from clock mis-matches.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-04-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
Have you had these for awhile or just get them? Do you have problems with it?
I got the Digimax new maybe 8 or 9 years ago and the Eureka's when they came out, maybe 4 or 5 years ago, I do not have problems with the clocking....as long as i set it!

I'm just always wondering about how to improve the sound and was reading up on clocking.

Albee, you say it won't affect the sound oh well. I don't have pops and clicks unless i have the digital gear on and the pro tools clock set to internal.
It looks like it would cost me over $100 for 2 good cables and if this won't help out with sound quality, is it a "sound" investment????? maybe not!

Maybe I should put another $100 into the API A2D collection fund instead....who am I kidding, maybe I should START the API A2D collection fund
Old 03-04-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Word clock cables are available from most GC stores or any pro audio dealer. I would run Wordclock out from the Digimax and daisy-chain to the Eureka preamps and leave Pro Tools set to clock to ADAT. That should keep everything in line. It won't affect the sound quality, but it should prevent any clicks and pops from clock mis-matches.
Hey Albee, you say out from the digimax to the Eureka's, I was thinking I needed to also go from the Eureka's to the Digimax, I think thats wrong reading your answer more closely.
The 2 Eureka's share a digital card...one goes analog into the card in the other so I wouldn't need to daisy chain them together.....

So I would only need one cable to go from the Digimax to the card in the Eureka's??????

Is this correct?
Thanks
Old 03-04-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Personally, I just plug my 1/4 TRS out on the Eureka to the TRS DI input on my Digi 002R.(input 5 to be exact) I also have my DigiMax running via optical ADAT.

Not sure if that's the best way, but I figured getting my Eureka signal directly to my rack with less in between would preserve the signal the best. What do you guys think?

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub
Old 03-04-2010, 11:54 AM

I missed the boat on how the 2 Eureka's were patched. Then you only need a single wordclock cable from OUT on the Digimax to IN on the Eureka with the digital card. You may need/want to terminate the other wordclock connector on the Eureka( a 75 ohm BNC terminator is only a few bucks). I am still learning this stuff myself(and know just enough to be dangerous). In any case, clocking my system is done to a Lucid GenX 192 master clock and some devices needed a terminator to get a green light on the Lucid(showing proper clocking AND termination). Again, I doubt you will hear any difference, but by using the Digimax as the master all the time, you don't need to worry about changing your clock source

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-04-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
Personally, I just plug my 1/4 TRS out on the Eureka to the TRS DI input on my Digi 002R.(input 5 to be exact) I also have my DigiMax running via optical ADAT.

Not sure if that's the best way, but I figured getting my Eureka signal directly to my rack with less in between would preserve the signal the best. What do you guys think?
If you have the digital card you might want to try it, this way you will be using the converter in the Eureka card instead of the converter in you digi interface....it SHOULD?? be better....I think, I don't really know enough to be dangerous.
I have an Avalon 737 going into my 002R into an analog input..I use 8, I'd rather not say what goes into 5,6,and 7.......o.k. ART tub pre's. I know they pretty much suck, but sound better than 1-4 digi pre's and will be replacing 2 of them with the Eureka's and getting an API A2D.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulreed View Post
If you have the digital card you might want to try it, this way you will be using the converter in the Eureka card instead of the converter in you digi interface....it SHOULD?? be better....I think, I don't really know enough to be dangerous.
I have an Avalon 737 going into my 002R into an analog input..I use 8, I'd rather not say what goes into 5,6,and 7.......o.k. ART tub pre's. I know they pretty much suck, but sound better than 1-4 digi pre's and will be replacing 2 of them with the Eureka's and getting an API A2D.
I forgot to mention my Digi002R is modded with BLA Sig Series... think the Eureka has a better converter still? I guess I'll have to try it out and see what my ears say, but I'm betting the mod has the better converters.

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub
Old 03-04-2010, 01:27 PM

yeah your modded 002 should be better!!!!