Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 07-05-2014, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Pro tools stops responding an slow

I really haven't fixed anything. I have done everything listed only getting other
issues and different things going on as I try to fix it.

1. I still get initialize error
2. I cant close the program it will crash every time
3. Crash If I try to open another file while in one already
4. If I reboot I can get a blank session to playback, once I add anything it wont
5. I wait 3 minutes or more because pro Tools stops responding after every action.

I have trashed all folders suggested
I even reinstalled PT rolled back mix control and nothing changes
I removed all 3rd party plug ins and still error
I have set Realtek as default audio

My plugins are
Waves, Izotope Ozone and Nectar suite, Melodyne, Soft Tube saturation knob, and Steven Slate SSD4
All up to date
Old 07-05-2014, 02:42 PM

Just a side note I downloaded another DAW to test to see if its my computer and it runs flawless no issues with detecting my saffire or locking up But I love and want my Pro Tools:P
Old 07-05-2014, 06:05 PM

I know this must be frustrating. There are quite a few things flying around and we can't guess whether you done everything.

I'm starting to think you have several things going on here.

So sorry to ask again, but have you recehecked all the optimizations? Done every last thing? including set the binary to run as admin (not you being an admin user)--which will have been lost when you reinstalled Pro Tools.

And back to the floppy thing, just check that if it shows up at in the Device Manager you disable it or uninstall the driver.

I would remove all third party plugin files (just move every last plugin file out of the plugin folder), recheck all the optimizations, trash prefs and databases etc. create a new session (not from template or a clone of a current session) and then keep debugging using that setup.

I would definitively check whether pro Tools runs with your PCs internal audio hardware as the Playback Engine. I'm not sure I follow the Sandra report for what exact audio devices you have and what devices you mean when you say "Realtek". And you are using that interface via ASIO4ALL? And Windows is not also trying to use that same audio interface?

It is surprising that Pro Tools 11 on a clean Windows 8.1 install with no third party plugins has exactly this long lost of problems with every thing you try. Do any of the problems change when you run with an internal audio interface?

Crashing or hanging on close is frequently associated with either a bad plugin or corrupt session. So be really paranoid about those things.

If you don't make progress soon I would wipe the system, resinstall Windows, the minumum drivers and Pro Tools (not third party plugins and no othet apps at all) and then see if that works.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:44 PM

There are a few threads about this undocumented-by-Avid optimization and I can conform it myself: Do not have as default for Windows sounds/audio the same soundcard/interface as Pro Tools uses. Prior to PT 11, one of the optimizations was to disable the onboard soundcard and use the Pro Tools interface for Windows sound/audio. I tried that with my new build, disabling my Realtek onboard soundcard in BIOS. Oops, mistake. Once I enabled the Realtek and made it the default for all Windows sounds/audio and left my 002 Rack for Pro Tools only, clear sailing.

This may help with resolving your issues.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-05-2014, 08:47 PM

Run as administrator by checking the box or is the something else?
My pro tools icon has a shield on it telling me that the box is checked.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmenchen View Post
Run as administrator by checking the box or is the something else?
My pro tools icon has a shield on it telling me that the box is checked.
That is it.

All your optimization steps are documented here http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Optimizations
Old 07-06-2014, 02:53 PM

OK I wiped my computer loaded windows loaded video driver loaded onboard audio driver loaded mix control for saffire installed pro tools and
got the same exact error I didn't install anything else I did all the optimizations etc and nothing changed.

PRO TOOLS COULD NOT INITALIZE SAFFIRE PLEASE MAKE SURE SAFFIRE IS
SETUP CORRECTLY

To me it seams is that pro tools 11 isn't ready for release :P
wasted my vacation weekend trying to fix something that I don't think will even work I can shoot a video of what this is doin if it will help
but wow so far what a waste of money and time
Funny thing is I can load up this in another DAW and it works perfectly why is Pro Tools so hard?
Old 07-06-2014, 03:03 PM

I'm suspecting you have multiple problems and there is not likely to be a quick fix for all of them, so keep on debugging.

Do you still have any non-Saffire related issues? i.e. Have you checked again by using the built in ASIO sound device?

You've' been careful to re-optimize the system, not have the Saffire as the Windows sound device etc.?

The Saffire is running the latest firmware and driver? (yes even if it works with other DAWs it does not mean that guarantees it should work OK with Pro Tools).

Does Saffire Mix control seems to be working OK?

Have you contacted Avid or Focusright support? I expect Katherine for Focusright will weigh in here soon.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:22 PM

There is no option to add any other driver only shows saffire inside pro tools
I installed mix control 3.4 the latest one . As far as firmware I will look into that next.

I have made it so windows does not default to the saffire device.

I also have a support ticket into focusrite 2 days now haven't herd anything back yet.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmenchen View Post
There is no option to add any other driver only shows saffire.
I installed mix control 3.4 the latest one . As far as firmware I will look into that next.

I have made it so windows does not default to the saffire device.
So what audio chipset/device is in your PC? What/where do you have your PC speakers connected to it? What does windows system sounds etc. play out through?

If your internal sound device does not support a native ASIO driver then you likely need to install ASIO4ALL. A likely useful debugging step, and handy to have it setup ready to do that in general (e.g. I'd install ASIO4ALL on any PC without an internal native ASIO sound device, just to be ready).