Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2010, 09:11 AM

Default Audio region labelling techniques for large speech recording projects

The company I work for are embarking on a project recording Speech for a AAA computer game for the first time. We will need to be able to label audio regions in between takes during recording as efficiently as possible. Pausing recording, then double clicking a region, copying from a script then pasting the text back in to Pro Tools would be quite time consuming for thousands of files. Is there a more straightforward solution using a plugin or feature of Pro Tools I am currently unaware of that will ease this process. Would anybody be happy to shed light on standard industry practice for this type of process.

Many thanks for your help,
James
Old 07-07-2010, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Audio region labelling techniques for large speech recording projects

Take a look at voXover. It is not Pro Tools-based but it fits these kind of jobs perfectly.
Once the recording session is done, you can of course import the files to PT for further tweaking
http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/voxover/
Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Audio region labelling techniques for large speech recording projects

I´ve done this kind of work with the combination of Quickeys and an excel sheet.

I´m weired:

The excel-sheet had titles for each cue/take BELOW each other. so I recorded a few work steps with quickeys..:

first - in the excel-sheet - I recorded the double click of the first title/cue, then command+c,
then the "down arrow key" to select the next title (the titles of course have to be below each other).
next recording was command+tab (to change to pro tools). there I hit "enter" (set marker); then command+v (to paste the name of the first title/cue); then enter again; then I recorded the PT-short-cut to move the curser forward/NUDGE for 30 seconds (nudge must be changed to 10 seconds or anything you prefer) .
next step was change over to excel (command+tab)again. the next/following title in the sheet should be selected now.

so with that - you got a "loop". give this fu*#ing quickey a name and a shortcut.. and let it work for you.
when you´ve finished the recordings you have to record a quickey that allows you to copy the marker-names into the regions regarding to the markers..
äahhmmmm... hm...

(sorry for bad english)

cheers,

gregor
Old 07-07-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Take a look at voXover. It is not Pro Tools-based but it fits these kind of jobs perfectly.
Once the recording session is done, you can of course import the files to PT for further tweaking
http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/voxover/
uh.. looks way more elegant then mine procedure:))
Old 07-08-2010, 01:28 AM

I've done a bit of this before using the strip silence function on protools in the edit drop down menu.

This allows you to duplicate and name lots of regions in 1 go but is only useful if they need sequential names. (eg: VO1, VO2, VO3, etc)

Don't know if thats any use? if you got them named like this though you could give a folder of them to someone to rename somewhere else therefore not clogging up you studio.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:55 AM

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions.

The Voxover software fits the bill perfectly and is a very worthwhile investment for only £250. I have been using the trial version this morning, very straightforward and versatile. Problem solved.

Thanks again.

James
Old 08-25-2010, 04:18 AM

Would you mind posting your Quickey shortcut file for me to try this one out? I use excel as well for the same type of process and would really like to give this a go Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterer View Post
I´ve done this kind of work with the combination of Quickeys and an excel sheet.
Would you mind posting your quickey shortcut file? I really want to give this one a go.
I´m weired:

The excel-sheet had titles for each cue/take BELOW each other. so I recorded a few work steps with quickeys..:

first - in the excel-sheet - I recorded the double click of the first title/cue, then command+c,
then the "down arrow key" to select the next title (the titles of course have to be below each other).
next recording was command+tab (to change to pro tools). there I hit "enter" (set marker); then command+v (to paste the name of the first title/cue); then enter again; then I recorded the PT-short-cut to move the curser forward/NUDGE for 30 seconds (nudge must be changed to 10 seconds or anything you prefer) .
next step was change over to excel (command+tab)again. the next/following title in the sheet should be selected now.

so with that - you got a "loop". give this fu*#ing quickey a name and a shortcut.. and let it work for you.
when you´ve finished the recordings you have to record a quickey that allows you to copy the marker-names into the regions regarding to the markers..
äahhmmmm... hm...

(sorry for bad english)

cheers,

gregor
Old 08-25-2010, 10:11 AM

+1 for VoxOver.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:02 PM

edicue works as well. I haven't used it but there are video on the website... some of the work is done automatically from cue sheets, however it might be a little overboard for this type of work.