Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM

Default Avid no longer cares about PT 9? Waste of my $

So Ive bought three different versions of Pro Tools the last being 9. I am incredibly pissed off that PT 9 will still not work with OSX 10.8 So now Im going to have to purchase an older mac that can run Pro Tools 9 as I sure the hell am not going to give AVID the incredibly stupid price they want for PTools 11 which isnt even ready for "prime time"....why do people keep giving AVID money for this DAW that only sells you problems and forces you to pay for "upgrades" ?!?!? Ive been working quite nicely in other DAWs without having to shell out another 500-600 bucks every year and a half but I NEED to have PTools in order to grab sessions that where recorded else where as I am a mixing engineer.

I have a new term for the audio world - "The AVID Tax". This is what you have to pay to AVID just TO STAY IN THE AUDIO BUSINESS.... I wish the Pro Tools junkies would just jump ship already as AVID continually shoots itself in the foot, the HD hardware is complete crap compared to Metric Halo, Lavry, Prism and Apogee.

Please just stop supporting - enabling this company. They do not deserve to be "The Standard"!!!!

I am sure many of you could have bought a house with what youve given AVID over the last ten or more years!!

No longer supporting AVID,

David.

Last edited by shockadd; 07-12-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Avid no longer cares about PT 9? Waste of my $

Why not be pissed at Apple?
The next Mac Pro won't even have PCIe!

I'm not going to upgrade yet either, but for different reasons.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:24 AM

PCIe is going the way of the floppy disk. I understand the OSX problems however when one buys software that is insanely expensive one expects to get a few more years out of it.... I have Logic 9 that has been amazingly stable, 64 bit, offline bounce, etc and that software was released four years ago!! The speed at which AVID has been cranking out these "upgrades" that are really updates is silly. Dont they realize where they have been screwing up??? I dont think so.

If you are going to be "The Standard" I feel you should set an example for the industry - not hold it hostage.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockadd View Post
PCIe is going the way of the floppy disk. .
PCIe is not just the connector, it is the whole architecture of moving data between the CPU and the rest of the components (Hard Drive, Video Card, Network connector). Not Going anywhere anytime soon.

And you are blaming Avid for Apples changes to the OS.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-12-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
So Ive bought three different versions of Pro Tools the last being 9. I am incredibly pissed off that PT 9 will still not work with OSX 10.8 So now Im going to have to purchase an older mac that can run Pro Tools 9 as I sure the hell am not going to give AVID the incredibly stupid price they want for PTools 11 which isnt even ready for "prime time"....why do people keep giving AVID money for this DAW that only sells you problems and forces you to pay for "upgrades" ?!?!? Ive been working quite nicely in other DAWs without having to shell out another 500-600 bucks every year and a half but I NEED to have PTools in order to grab sessions that where recorded else where as I am a mixing engineer.

I have a new term for the audio world - "The AVID Tax". This is what you have to pay to AVID just TO STAY IN THE AUDIO BUSINESS.... I wish the Pro Tools junkies would just jump ship already as AVID continually shoots itself in the foot, the HD hardware is complete crap compared to Metric Halo, Lavry, Prism and Apogee.

Please just stop supporting - enabling this company. They do not deserve to be "The Standard"!!!!

I am sure many of you could have bought a house with what youve given AVID over the last ten or more years!!

David.
Before you give up, I am running OSX 10.8.3 and PT 9.0.6 and have been for several months without issue. The "gotcha" is that you need to:

1. Turn off gatekeeper
2. Install the full install of PT 9.0.5(earlier installers will not work)
3. Run the 9.0.6 Updater.

This is not officially supported by AVID so YMMV, but it works for me and has worked for several other people on this forum.

EDIT: When I installed this, I was running 10.8.2, I don't know if there's any difference with 10.8.3 or 10.8.4, but probably not.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-12-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
1. Turn off gatekeeper
May I say that this is no good advise in general. Gatekeeper makes sense. You can bypass it by control-clicking on an installer and choose "open".

Oliver
Old 07-12-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:

I have a new term for the audio world - "The AVID Tax". This is what you have to pay to AVID just TO STAY IN THE AUDIO BUSINESS.... I wish the Pro Tools junkies would just jump ship already as AVID continually shoots itself in the foot, the HD hardware is complete crap compared to Metric Halo, Lavry, Prism and
Apogee.

David.
Yes avid should waste their time on your old software and hardware. This is the first real advancement they have made in years, and if you have to throw away all your old crap then so be it. Apple stopped making pci x and forced us to upgrade, and I can give you a hundred more examples. There is no reason to waste any man power on software that is totally out dated. I would switch to whatever software you prefer and stop whining about avid finally making progress. We have been waiting years for their software to advance, and I don't want them focusing on your old version. Protools 7-9 was so bad I switched to Nuendo, now pts is finally a professional tool.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:

They do not deserve "the standard"?

Um..really?

If you use DISH, Direct TV, TW, etc and ordered every chan available which is a gazzilion+ (24 hours in a day with some shows 30 min and 15 commercials per hour at least and multiply those into that into a day). Then all the languages it has to be dubbed into. Then you add all the media that is on this one place known as IMDB which uses or some how used PT. Oh and also don't forget music. All the music from 1993 (when PT was starting to get into the recording studios). Take all of that media incorporating that PT was either used in the beginning, the middle, the end, some all done in Pt or some at some point using PT. We are talking pretty much all the music, commercials, features, TV shows, trailers, music, CD, mp3, infomercial, episodic's, news, well heck pretty much every form of sound our species on this planet hears has somehow or in some shape used protools and it's not "the standard"?

Hmmm
That is kinda like saying oil is not the standard for energy.
Yes I can understand your frustration. 100's have had them and will. Avid has to deal with a lot, making a WHOLE new code to service our needs is not a 2 day project. It has taken a team of R&D, time, money, trail and error, and years to make this happen. I don't think they can make every facet of their versions work on every platform and version. If you were able to use your system for a project a few months before you were aware of any upgrade and satisfy your clients, get that check, make your mortgage. Then why change?

Personally if I upgraded to 5 new Mac Pros each maxed out with ram and SSD and HDX cards to the max with the latest PT11 as compared to what I am using now.. Well yes I can mix WAY faster, more tracks, more plugs, more this and more that and it would be a lot of fun too!
But guess what (and this goes for pretty much EVERYONE using PT to make a living, whether you are new or 30 year old veteran who mixed AVATAR making a million a year).... We can still do the same work..
Same project.. same client and make that mortgage payment.

Yes I know that new Mercedes CL 2014 model is a WAY smoother ride, with way better technology and it's way more fun.. But we know the sayings and all the analogizes I/You can come up with.

Funny thing is. Someone will complain and argue Avid this and Avid that cause my Protools 15 won't work anymore with OS XX and now I can't upgrade to PT 16 with my mac and can't mix this film or record this or that. Well I have something to tell you. I did a pretty good job recording this singer on a Mac Quadra 650 using PT III and to think it could only record 4 tracks at the time! Imagine that... but I was styling!
Loved it and thought it was soo cool not having to record to a 24 track analogue and get stressed out when the guitar playing messed up on a riff and I had to go back and punch record and if I was half of a second late or early hitting that record button I just ruined what was before or after. With PT that didn't matter. I had so many ways to do it without the stress... I have to be honest and I think I speak for mankind (meaning EVERYONE reading this) Protools 9 is um.....

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more fun and better than PT III. I could mix with PT 9 for another 5 years doing the same work. PT10?
Yeah it's more efficient and has a lot more bells and whistles.
PT11? WHOA.. a whole new game changer again. Just the fact of going to a DAW from an analogue board and 24 track analogue tape compared to what PT11 has to offer is mind blowing.
And you know what.. PT 20 will be even better. But those on PT 18 will complain. And I will copy and paste this in the year 2025 to put things back into perspective.

Okay.. Done

Have to go back and mix on "the standard"
Old 07-13-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:

David.
So David, why not just continue to use the older computer you already have since you have PT9? Or did you buy the old PT9 hoping to run it on a new computer? PT9 will never run on 10.8 or 10.9.

Instead of buying a new "old" computer, get PT11. It will probably be cheaper.

My software expenditures to Avid for PT are around $1,000 for the last 10 years. Being a media professional for many years, my house costs quite a bit more.

In the past 10 years, I think I've spent more on Photoshop than Pro Tools.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.