Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-08-2010, 09:44 PM

Default Re: So what if I have an old Mbox and Snow Leopard? no CoreAudio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanferdiaz View Post
Ha!!! downgrading to Leopard!!! Ha!! you ignorant!!!!

There is no way (been in every forum out there) I can get my 02/2010MacBook running in a 10.5.x (x>=4) Leopard OS.

by No Way I mean no way without spending a month not sleeping and getting a hand (fretting or rythm one) cramped with the computer mouse to finally get an unstable computer and an unwanted degree in hackering systems... I just wanted to playback my songs with my already purchased hardware.

I think it is really unfair to leave behind the old Mbox. It is not that is not supported, it is that it has purposely been taking out of the new driver's compatibilty... they did the extra effort in taking it out of the code so I go and get a new one (that will work until when???) we, who pay our licences are the lemmons to squeeze. I'm not taking it anymore.
a) you can get 10.5 on it if your can find a system image of 10.5 and image the computer
b) 8.0 will run on 10.6 it's just not supported or stable
c) 8 years is a long time for computer hardware to stay compatible, remember the mBox was designed to work on OS9 originally. What else that was designed for 9 still works? and what effort? highlight the code and press [command+x]

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-09-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
a) you can get 10.5 on it if your can find a system image of 10.5 and image the computer
b) 8.0 will run on 10.6 it's just not supported or stable
c) 8 years is a long time for computer hardware to stay compatible, remember the mBox was designed to work on OS9 originally. What else that was designed for 9 still works? and what effort? highlight the code and press [command+x]
a) Craig is right, if you can get your hands on a copy of 10.5 install, its pretty easy to downgrade. But you will have to re-format your system drive.

b) Craig is right, Mbox will work with Snow Leopard and PT 8.01, although not well enough to be of any help to anybody using PT in professional sense.

c) Craig is a smart-ass. So here is my smart-ass reply.

The Mbox was taken off the market in 2005. At that point in time Apple computers were shipping with OS 10.4 Tiger.
I have plenty of gear from 5-10 years ago still working great, scanners, cameras, printers, ipod, external DVD drive, portable hard drive etc.
Also it was only 2 years ago that PT8 was released and a whole lot of Mbox original owners forked out the cash for the upgrade. Now we have to pay for it again.

What effort you ask Craig?

If your talking about editing the CoreAudio driver code and you know what file to edit and you know what line of code to cut (thanks for the keyboard shortcut BTW). Then please enlighten us. Hell, I'll even drop some cash in your paypal account.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:58 AM

**NOTE** The following solution doesn't work for people who are running Protools as Protools doesn't allow the MBOX to be used as a multi-client sound card (unlike every other application). But it works if Protools is closed.

Here's what I do to use the Mbox as my sound card for OSX (as well as for my other applications such as Logic and Ableton Live):

1. Download and install Soundflower (by Cycling '76) which acts as an internal sound card (and will show up in OSX and all your applications):

http://code.google.com/p/soundflower/downloads/list

2. Download and install Pure Data, a free open source music programming software, you can use this to patch Soundflower to your Mbox:

http://puredata.info/downloads

3. This is the patch we'll write for puredata:

Open Pure Data, select FILE/NEW, in the new window select PUT/OBJECT, and write "adc~" (minus quotation marks) in the object box. select PUT/OBJECT again and write "dac~" in the object box. place adc~ above dac~ and connect the left output from adc~ to the left input of dac~, and do the same with right output and input. select PUT/OBJECT, and write "loadbang" in the object. select PUT/MESSAGE and write ";[RETURN]pd dsp 1" in the message box ([RETURN] means press the RETURN button on your keyboard). Place [loadbang] above the message object and connect the output from loadbang to the input of the message box. This part turns on the "Compute Audio" button (located in the main window) automatically, when you load this patch in the future. For now, select the "Compute Audio" in the main window manually.

4. Go to PREFERENCES/AUDIO SETTINGS in Pure Data, select Soundflower (2ch) for input and Digidesign for output. click OK

5. Go to PREFERENCES/STARTUP, click APPLY, then click OK. (this saves the input and output for when you open the program again for some reason).

6. Save the file to your desktop (for convenience) and now when you click on the file, puredata connects OSX to your MBOX! just hide puredata, so it's running in the background. You might have to fiddle with the "delay" value in the audio settings window in PureData, but somewhere between 13 and 20 msec should work.

*there's a little bug in PureData with SnowLeopard, when you click the "compute Audio" on, then off, then on again, PureData crashes, but other than that, I've had no problems, and everything works seamlessly.

I know this seems really complicated, but I like using puredata especially for simple and elegant little workarounds such as this.

Die hard MBOX!!!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 AM

Hi fender242,

Should this also work for Pro Tools 9 on Snow Leopard?

I have followed all the instructions for Soundflower and used your patch in Pure Data but cannot get it to work. When I open up PD and have the MBox 1 plugged in the CoreAudio Manager seems to flag up and block me from being able to set Digidesign as the output in the PD preferences. Was able to set the MBox as an output a few times but when I restart PD again it doesn't show up...

You mentioned running PD in the background? How do I do that and should that then solve the problem and allow me to use MBox 1 with PT 9?

Your help on this would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 PM

Had this same issue...Time to upgrade you can score an MBox 2 mini on Amazon for $195 and it comes with 8.0.3..just did it last week
Old 12-25-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender242 View Post

I know this seems really complicated, but I like using puredata especially for simple and elegant little workarounds such as this.

Die hard MBOX!!!!!
Dear Fender -

I have gotten this working quite well under Lion - just for monitoring purposes. However, when it comes time to RECORD something, I just can't get it working. Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong? I can hear my mics in my headphones, but I can't get any of my programs to actually "hear" them. ?Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

-Alex
Old 01-17-2012, 01:18 PM

This sounds very cool, BUT I get these errors...

can't connect signal outlet to control inlet
Untitled-1 1 0 2 0 (dac~->text) connection failed
(Tcl) INVALID COMMAND NAME: invalid command name "Pt_Start()"
while executing
"Pt_Start() called"
("uplevel" body line 1)
invoked from within
"uplevel #0 $cmd_from_pd"saved to:

this is the part that doesnt make sense?

This part turns on the "Compute Audio" button (located in the main window) automatically, when you load this patch in the future. For now, select the "Compute Audio" in the main window manually.

any idea?

there is no Compute Audio button anywere?
version i am using is 0.43-0
Old 01-26-2012, 07:20 AM

Ok, So I found out why I didnt have the compute audio.
I was using the most current version of puredata.
I found out you need to use the 0.41-4 version, it has the compute audio,
BUT another problem, more errors,
Question, Do you need core audio driver installed?
when I have the most recent driver installed , pure data crashes on startup, and coreaudio starts?
You need core audio installed to have os(10.6) system audio see the mbox.
So I am going to try and download earlier version of coreaudio and see if that works?
oh I get these errors in puredata,

audio I/O error history:
seconds ago error type
26.36 unknown
27.17 unknown
30.15 unknown
125.87 unknown
125.87 unknown

i will post findings, I need to get this to work....
Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 AM

Ok, so DO NOT install version 8. it does not work.
(my protools 9 didnt like that at all)

I will keep trying.....maybe i try windows.....

anyone know of a cheap usb audio device, under 100 ?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:09 AM

Just wanted to thank Fender - you just resurrected my MBox1. Working on MBA Lion (only tested in GarageBand sofar though).