Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2004, 12:18 PM

Default switch to OS X backup plan...

I am in the midst of backing up all my PT sessions and files to make the move from 9.2.2 to Panther... I keep reading about Carbon Copy Cloner... is there a version of CCC that runs in 9.2.2 for backing up my 9.2.2 system as it is now... just in case I need to retreat back to my previous setup...

is there any other way I can take a "snapshot" of my system now so that I could reload everything if things don't work out in Panther...I plan to do a clean install of Panther and wipe everything...

thanks,
sg

G4 933, 1.25 gigs ram, Digi001, OS 9.2.2
Old 03-19-2004, 12:42 PM

Default Re: switch to OS X backup plan...

CCC or CopyAgent will make exact copies of your startup drive, whetehr in OS9 or OSX. You can burn to disc, or simply restore, and quickly boot between 9 and X by holding down the option key when starting up.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:54 PM

I am a little confused...I just checked the website below and it says that Carbon Copy Cloner only works with os 10.2 and above... is there an older version I need to track down?

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

thanks for your help...
sg
Old 03-19-2004, 03:34 PM

If you have another drive to copy stuff to (with enough space) and an OS9 startup CD (OS installer, norton utilities, etc.) You could just boot off the CD by holding down the c key while restarting. Once, restarted just drag the drive icon (of the drive you want to backup, obviously) to your other drive.

Probably not the best method, but you'll have a copy of your entire drive just in case.
---
c
Old 03-19-2004, 10:22 PM

I have two drives in my machine...I use one drive for the OS and all my applications and the second drive for all my PT sessions and other files...

do I need to take everything off the second (audio) drive before installing panther on my main drive? should I re-format my audio drive? or can I just leave all my audio stuff where it is?

can I make a copy of my main drive and put it on my audio drive for safe keeping?

thanks for the help... I am just trying to avoid burning all my bridges in my attempt to move to panther...

sg
Old 03-20-2004, 03:45 AM

Quote:
I have two drives in my machine...I use one drive for the OS and all my applications and the second drive for all my PT sessions and other files...
do I need to take everything off the second (audio) drive before installing panther on my main drive? should I re-format my audio drive? or can I just leave all my audio stuff where it is?
can I make a copy of my main drive and put it on my audio drive for safe keeping?
thanks for the help... I am just trying to avoid burning all my bridges in my attempt to move to panther...
sg
Select one drive for all your SYSTEMS and the second for audio.
Use seperate Partition of OS9 and OSX to keep things tidy.
If your drives are big enough you can just back up all stuff to one disk and while prepairing the other.

DIGIGSIGN strongly suggest formatting ALL your drives with OSX DiskUtility in HFS+.
So Insert the Install disk, and press c while booting.
Open the Disk Utility from the menu and adjust the number of partitions you like.
Two are always usefull for system disks more than 4 mostly not.
And don´t forget to check "install the OS9 drivers" option if you want to got back to OS9 sometimes.
Dont´assign more disk space to OS9 as necessary, since you will work in panther from now on, I guess, so 2 to 5 GB is usually ok depending on your needs.

and as you noticed: CCC is for OSX and Copy Agent is for OS9.

And remove all Harddsik authorization from your drives, if you have any! Like PACE etc.

here is a suggestion of a way:
-copy all stuff to one drive (audio?)
-boot from CD
-prepair the new disk and install panther. check the OS9 option.
-boot
-copy your OS9 back it´s place in the partition of the boot disk
-and your audio stuff to the new disk where you can find it again.
-format your audio drive with OSX DiskUtility
-copy your audio stuff back.

regs
Old 03-20-2004, 05:12 AM

I believe there is aolder verions of CCC for OS9.

You cannot just copy your system drive while booted from disc, it will not copy root folders. You must use CCC or CopyAgent for this.You can most definitely do this to your audio drive, and once completed, start up holding down the option key to verify. If it is a valid starup copy, it will appear as a startup disc choice.

You do not need to do anything with your audio drive, EXCEPT it should be backed up at least once, preferably twice. An external FW drive, DVD, or even a 3rd internal drive (installed in the 2nd optical bay under your existing CD/DVD drive) are good choices for this

Partitioning is recommended, but not absolutely necessary. However I'd recommend once you have a verified copy of your OS9 startup disc, to reinitialize your system drive, which will defrag it as well as completely wipe it,, and partition it 5gb for OS9, 10gb for OSX, and the remaining for backup.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:47 AM

...one last detail. After you copy all your back-ups ( and you are not truly backed up unless you have backed up twice on two different drives) Before you upgrade to OSX unplug all your FW drives. Once OSX is up and running fine plug the FW drives back in

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 03-20-2004, 07:10 AM

"...one last detail. After you copy all your back-ups ( and you are not truly backed up unless you have backed up twice on two different drives) Before you upgrade to OSX unplug all your FW drives. Once OSX is up and running fine plug the FW drives back in"

thanks for all the feedback... one more question (just to add another level of complexity)... Since I don't have an external firewire hard drive... can I connect my my laptop (currently running os 10.2.8/9.2.2) to my desktop through ethernet and dump my stuff on there in liu of a firewire drive?

I have been tyring to use my DVD drive to backup things up (as my second backup) but it doesn't seem to be working. I am using the Apple DVD media that came with the machine (and the DVD drive is the Apple superdrive). If I put in a DVD it goes through 10 minutes of "initializing" and then kicks the DVD out...so I have quite a stack of CDs going now...

thanks again...
sg
Old 03-20-2004, 08:40 AM

Quote:
You cannot just copy your system drive while booted from disc,
You can (with OS9) if you startup from a CD that will allow you to mount your disks. As long as nothing is being used from the drive being copied, if you drag the entire drive to another it will copy all files. The only issue you may have would be if there are any locked files. You can unlock anything that is locked by selecting the locked file and doing a "Get Info" and then deselect the Locked option.
---
c