Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 07-02-2016, 12:04 PM

Default PT Control iPad app

Looking for an elegant and cheap solution to control PT while doing overdub keys/perc/acoustics by myself away from the computer. It's a total vibe kill running back and forth 5'-20' hitting record

Did a quick browse of the manual and duc but I'm not certain about this solution; I don't have an iPad so I can't test this on my own. I need to be able to change playlists and create new playlists, toggle input monitor/arm tracks, and jump between memory locations at a minimum for this to be worthwhile. It seems like you should be able to create your own macro shortcuts to accomplish most of this but I'm looking for some confirmation before I jump in. Having an iPad fader is a plus because I don't have a controller at the moment and it might be nice to have for small rides if it isn't super latent. Is NeyFi more capable at these tasks off the bat?

System specs:
2013 Mac Pro 6,1
OS 10.10.5
PT12HD Native 12.5.1

TLDR; Can you change playlists/create new playlists, jump between memory locations on the Avid Control iPad app? Is it worth buying a used ipad just to run Control? Is neyfi a better solution/worth the price?
Old 07-02-2016, 09:47 PM

Default Re: PT Control iPad app

Hi geohdude. I think the PT Control app is great and use it for just what you describe. It can do everything you mention and then some. There is a soft keys page that gives you all sorts of options (menu, transport, view, elastic properties, new tracks, editing, memory locations, automation, playlists, etc.). There is also a tracks view where you can easily select input, record, solo, mute for any tracks and a mixer view with your faders and pans. I find myself opening this app just about every time I use pro tools. I'd go with at least a forth generation iPad to run it.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:58 AM

@Aaron ANV - thanks for the input! I'll keep an eye out for a good price on an ipad and start adapting that workflow.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:29 AM

PT Control is pretty nice, but worth noting that it's Eucon only, and will not co-exist nicely with non-Eucon controllers. If you're running an Icon or a C24 you won't be able to run PT Control simultaneously. Neyrinck's app OTOH works just fine alongside those controllers.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 07-05-2016, 11:54 AM

PT Control works with HUI controllers. Only downside is that the meters do not work on the HUI device when using PT Control.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 07-05-2016, 05:33 PM

Oh - good to know. Definitely didn't play nice with my C24 or with D Command.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 07-05-2016, 09:13 PM

One option that can work for you is to run an extra screen and keyboard/mouse. I have used a 50' USB extender with an Akai midi button controller so a 25' extender should be fine for keyboard/mouse or trackpad. Then if your screen connects via HDMI, you can get an active HDMI splitter(for under $40) and run another screen with a 25' HDMI cable(cheap on line). Just try to use screens that run the same resolution(like 1920x1080). I have my screen and combo keyboard/trackpad on 30' of cable, mounted to a rolling stand(On-Stage rolling mixer stand) with a shelf. Wireless would be handier, but this works solid as a rock and every time. AFAIK, none of the iPad apps allow for creating playlists

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-01-2017, 02:32 AM

PT Control app is the app you want it meets all your demand go for it :)
Old 01-23-2018, 11:55 PM

PT Control app is an amazing app. i am a old user of this app. So just go for it.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:33 AM

Check out this guide from Avid for the Pro Tools Control app! Contents include installing the app on your iPad and setting it up for use in Pro Tools.

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...uide_86473.pdf