Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 11-24-2008, 04:33 PM

Default Virtual soundcheck

I am getting ready to do a live xmas production show and would love to use virtual soundcheck as well as deliver master audio tracks to the client. We have owned our Venue D-Show for a while now but I have not interfaced a Pro Tools rig in to it yet. I do have the HD card installed and will be recording 48 tracks at 48/24. I am looking for some advice on the best type of hard drives to use, internal or external, eSATA, firewire 400 or 800, partitioning, sample and bit rate, etc. The show is about 2 hours long and there are five shows over the course of four days. We have a local guy that will be bringing his Pro Tools Mac rig. While I am a D-Show guy, I'm just not a Pro Tools guy and need some advice. Thanks.

Tom
Old 11-24-2008, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Virtual soundcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom42107 View Post
I am getting ready to do a live xmas production show and would love to use virtual soundcheck as well as deliver master audio tracks to the client. We have owned our Venue D-Show for a while now but I have not interfaced a Pro Tools rig in to it yet. I do have the HD card installed and will be recording 48 tracks at 48/24. I am looking for some advice on the best type of hard drives to use, internal or external, eSATA, firewire 400 or 800, partitioning, sample and bit rate, etc. The show is about 2 hours long and there are five shows over the course of four days. We have a local guy that will be bringing his Pro Tools Mac rig. While I am a D-Show guy, I'm just not a Pro Tools guy and need some advice. Thanks.

Tom
I have been using LaCie Quadra drives for 3 years with no problems, connected via FW800 and have recorded as many as 68 tracks to one drive at a time!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 08:45 AM

I would definitely recommend either the Lacie FW drive 800 bus or the internal SATA drives. Make sure that for stability in Protools while recording to divide your tracks among multiple HD's. Digi recommends 24 tracks per HD. I made a mistake in the beggining recording 48(-+) tracks to one HD and started getting a lot of errors, then I divided them into mutliple HD's and everything is fine! Now I'm recording 70-80 ch's no problems. Hope that helps!
Old 11-30-2008, 08:55 AM

Does the guy thats bringing his PT rig have storage? Typically for a track count like that you should be able to allocate between a couple of FW400 or 800 drives. Do not use the system drive for any storage. As far as from your console you will just be assigning direct outs which is easy to do from the patch bay.
T
Old 12-01-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamb View Post
Does the guy thats bringing his PT rig have storage? Typically for a track count like that you should be able to allocate between a couple of FW400 or 800 drives. Do not use the system drive for any storage. As far as from your console you will just be assigning direct outs which is easy to do from the patch bay.
T
No, I just bought four LaCie Quadra D2 500gig hard drives, which I guess I will divide up to 24 tracks per hard drive. Thanks.

Tom
Old 12-09-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulises Canada View Post
I would definitely recommend either the Lacie FW drive 800 bus or the internal SATA drives. Make sure that for stability in Protools while recording to divide your tracks among multiple HD's. Digi recommends 24 tracks per HD. I made a mistake in the beggining recording 48(-+) tracks to one HD and started getting a lot of errors, then I divided them into mutliple HD's and everything is fine! Now I'm recording 70-80 ch's no problems. Hope that helps!
So can we partition the say 500 GB hard drive to 2 250GB drives
and assign 24 trks to 1st partition and 24 trks to 2nd partition
even through technically it's the same hard drive physically?

Or is it better to go ahead and use different drives physically?

thanks,
getting ready to get the profile w/ virtual sound check option
so I will need to know how many drives to buy for at least 48 trks maybe 64trks recording.

Rob Warren
Old 12-09-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Warren View Post

Or is it better to go ahead and use different drives physically?

thanks,
getting ready to get the profile w/ virtual sound check option
so I will need to know how many drives to buy for at least 48 trks maybe 64trks recording.

Rob Warren
I've recorded couple of times about 1 hour shows to 64 tracks on a single SATA-drive without problems.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Avid

Hi Rob,

Quote:
In this case there's still only one read/write mechanism per physical drive, so partitioning a single drive into two smaller drives won't give the same performance as two physically separate drives.

Sheldon
Old 12-18-2008, 02:57 PM

I'm currently experiencing pops and clicks in my audio. Is this stemming from my current drive not keeping up? It seems my audio usually doesn't have artifacts until close to the end but occasionally it's started right after the beginning. I'll give dividing the tracks a try but would love to have more insight into the problem.

crt
Old 12-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Avid

Hi,

Pops and clicks usually indicate a digital clock issue. Please tell us more about the setup - how are the tracks being monitored? Through the console or through another Pro Tools peripheral? If it's the latter then the peripheral needs to be word clock connected to the console in order to establish a common clock.

Sheldon