Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 AM

Default Re: So what's the chances of another Expansion pack in the future

Doh, now I'm nervous to pick one up. lol I'm worried I'll do the best buy commercial thing, where as soon as I get one they'll announce the new hardware version.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopsade View Post
Doh, now I'm nervous to pick one up. lol I'm worried I'll do the best buy commercial thing, where as soon as I get one they'll announce the new hardware version.
You bought the wrong eleven rack silly-head.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcard View Post
That's great, and I too am hoping there's still lots more to come in upgrades. I personally went down the 11R instead of more expensive solutions not because of the money, but because of the superior interface. It really is easy to navigate the 11R (again compared to the competition).

But the downside is that it is also limiting somewhat, regardless of DSP power.
Is there a way we can have parallel processing in the 11R?
If there's loads of DSP power left, why are we still waiting for spillovers or the ability to chain more than one of any effect types (Delays or distortions for examples)?
We all wanted a parametric EQ and got a great one, but no way to assign it as a global setting for all rigs to easily fine tune the 11R to a venue.
I'm just brushing the surface here to illustrate, but I'm guessing a lot of what is possible is down to the current hardware, not just the software/firmware.

Don't get me wrong here, I love my 11R and I also love when companies upgrade the software making a great product even better instead of pushing for the senseless renewal of hardware.
But what I really want is a solution to my problems and requirements.
If that needs a new hardware revision, so be it...
There are dual DSP's already running in the 11R so if the Al Gore Rhythms are lean and mean the current hardware should be able to handle it easily. At 2.1 GFlops each that's nothing to be sneezed at.

To be quite honest I think the only reason why the Axe FX II was rushed to the marketplace was because Fractal was losing marketshare.

Personally, I think a lot of things that are considered deficiencies in the 11R like delay/reverb spillovers were a complete oversight by the dev crew. I don't particularly like having spillovers myself so I wouldn't have considered it as part of the feature-set, though I understand why others would want it. IR's would've been a cutting edge technology when they were developing the 11RTAS and so not surprisingly missed that boat, but, Chris has openly stated that he was working on getting IR's into the last Xpansion but run out of time. Really all I want is an Intelligent Harmonizer and a couple of really hi-gain amps and I'd be a very, very happy camper .

But, I'm a complete idiot - my brain works in slow motion these days. I played too much Rugby and got hit too many times in the head with Martial Arts.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 06-09-2011, 10:16 AM

All I know is that based on the quality of the first expansion I'd buy any subsequent ones without hesitation...
Old 06-09-2011, 12:36 PM

Can the DSP's be overclocked?

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 06-09-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit View Post
Can the DSP's be overclocked?

Nick
Maybe a variac cranked to 190 volts??
Old 06-09-2011, 01:35 PM

I'd love to see another expansion pack. That said, it might be a while. The 11R was available in 2009 (if my Google search is correct, around September), and I'd assume Avid was OK with the models and feature set at that time. There have been firmware updates to address bugs and other issues, but no added features until the EXRP was released in March of 2011. That's 18 months, or thereabouts. By that gauge, expect something new in Q4 of 2012 (just before the end of the world ).

Another thing to consider is that EXRP costs $100.00, and is selling briskly to 11R users. From a purely business perspective, it doesn't make good financial sense to cut into sales of the current EXRP by releasing a new one just yet, It's far better to milk this one until its dales die off, and THEN release EXRP-2. Then we'll all spend ANOTHER $100 (or more) on that one.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:47 PM

I don't think the current hardware is powerful enough for dual rigs without Digi recoding everything from the ground up.

The reason I say this is because I remember reading a post by a staff member stating that the reason we can't have "Rig output no cab" through amp1+2 while still keeping Rig out w/cab through through other outputs, was because you have to process 2 different signals and the current hardware isn't capable.

That's not even 2 full rigs, but only processing an extra half (all the fx blocks post amp w/o cab). Doesn't look like it can do an extra set of fxs real-time, much less an extra amp model.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:13 PM

I would like to see themed expansion packs. High Gain/Metal Amps, Boutique/Lower Gain Amps, Effects only, Bass, Vocal. I think that would rock.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Pippin View Post
I would like to see themed expansion packs. High Gain/Metal Amps, Boutique/Lower Gain Amps, Effects only, Bass, Vocal. I think that would rock.
Line 6 did OK with their targeted\themed expansion packs for the XT Live, so why not?

Come to think of it, Fractal's not the only one giving free updates. Line 6 have always given free firmware updates, either by mailing an Eprom (Flextone 1 and Pod) or by online update. Some of those updates added features as well. They did a free update for the M13 that added a bunch of effects, as well as fixing a few bugs. Hmmmm...